Options

If I fail the lab, do I have to retake the written?

NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
I passed the v3 written in August '09. So, lets assume all goes according to plan and I'm ready to take the lab in January '10 (within the allotted 18 months). However, things don't go so well on my first lab attempt and I barely miss 80%. Do I now have to retake the written since I wouldn't come back until March '10 (which would be well outside the 18 months)?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Policies - CCIE - Cisco Systems
    Written Exam: Expiration

Candidates must make an initial attempt of the CCIE lab exam within 18 months of passing the CCIE written exam. Candidates who do not pass must re-attempt the lab exam within 12 months of their last scored attempt in order for their written exam to remain valid. If a candidate does not pass the lab exam within three years of passing the written exam, he or she must retake the written exam before being allowed to attempt the lab exam again.
    If you don't make an attempt within 18 months of passing the CCIE Written exam, you have to take it again.

If you do make an attempt within that first 18 months after passing the CCIE Written exam (and don't pass), then you have to make your next (2nd attempt) with 12 months.

If you push it to the limits -- that leaves 6 months left on the CCIE Written for your 3rd attempt before you hit the 3 year exam expiration mark. Then you're doing the written exam again.

If you did your first Lab attempt a few months after passing the CCIE Written exam, then you have the new 12 month clock ticking on each of your next attempts -- up to that 3 year mark.

If you're not ready for the lab in those first 18 months, it's just cheaper to retake the written exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If you do make an attempt within that first 18 months after passing the CCIE Written exam (and don't pass), then you have to make your next (2nd attempt) with 12 months.

Thanks Mike, that's exactly what I was after. That's twice you've saved me now :D