CCNA Voice, do I need any hardware ?

andnessaandnessa Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have 2 cisco routers 1603-R, do I really need any hardware or maybe I can use these 2 old routers and buy a cheap IP phone to practice with, I have done CCNA about 2 years ago and I have forgotten nearly everything but the CCNA voice is the starting point and should not be that advanced and with some practice I should move on. Please correct me where I am wrong and I would appreciate any suggestments regarding what hardware is needed to cover the whole subject ...

Thank you

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    andnessa wrote: »
    Hello, I have 2 cisco routers 1603-R, do I really need any hardware or maybe I can use these 2 old routers and buy a cheap IP phone to practice with, I have done CCNA about 2 years ago and I have forgotten nearly everything but the CCNA voice is the starting point and should not be that advanced and with some practice I should move on. Please correct me where I am wrong and I would appreciate any suggestments regarding what hardware is needed to cover the whole subject ...

Thank you

I'm not sure whats in a 1603 router, but to accurately practice I know you would want a router which supports DHCP with option 150, router on a stick, a router with CME (or virtualize one in GNS3, I did that but it came with some issues), and a switch (2 if possible) which support VLAN's and voice/aux vlans.

And if your walet is fat, a UC500 solution, but I got away without that (and without spending 2-3 grand).
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • pakidevilpakidevil Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    getting 2800 series router would be nice :)
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pakidevil wrote: »
    getting 2800 series router would be nice :)

Yes it would. You buying? :)

chmorin wrote:
    I'm not sure whats in a 1603 router, but to accurately practice I know you would want a router which supports DHCP with option 150, router on a stick, a router with CME (or virtualize one in GNS3, I did that but it came with some issues), and a switch (2 if possible) which support VLAN's and voice/aux vlans.

The 1600's are the old school FW/IPS models. They come with one WIC, one Ethernet, and your choice of T1, ISDN, DB60 serial, or 2nd Ethernet and run up to IOS 12.3. You can get them for $10 so they're not bad if you need another router or two. Not much use for voice though I would guess.