Failed 70-646 Miserably

Just got back from the Test Centre - failed with a 550 icon_sad.gif

The format of the exam was staightforward, just 40 questions to answer in 90 minutes.

Very few questions I could answer immediately and I marked over 20 for review.

There was enough time to finish all the questions and review as needed.

I'm not sure if the PRO series of exams is a different animal to the MCTS exams - any thoughts?

I've got a second shot on this, so I'll reschedule and have another go before the end of the month :)

I will look at the exam report and review my weak areas - Server Deployment / Server Management - maybe I'm not familiar with the management / planning aspect of this exam type?

I've used MS Press Training Kit, Syngress and some of the 70-640/2 Exam cram notes.
Used Transcenders also.

Would it be worthwhile getting the CBT Nuggets for this exam - anyone used them for this exam (70-646)?

Well its back on the horse and back to the books I reckon :)

I'd appreciate any feedback from those who have taken this exam, whether passed or failed.

Comments

• LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I haven't used CBT Nuggets for the 646, I am still studying for 640. I have used CBT, however, for Cisco, Security+, and Server 2003 and found every video very useful. I am also using CBT for my 640, and its really helping to clear up things I am cloudy with.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the 646 is like the 647 then you should be more concerned for the test, I have heard, in why or when you would do something as opposed to how. That's what I've heard the major differences are.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • pespi_manpespi_man Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I got my booked in next week, I've heard the same as Earweed about this exam.

Its tougher then the 640,642 and they throw the extra in as well (SCOM,SCCM and MOSS).

Better luck on the retake :)

Think of this try as a practice!!
  • texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    I passed the exam back in October the exam was difficult. I used the Trainsignal videos to pass the exam and I also skimmed through the MS press book.The exam covers everything from the 640 and 642 plus some new topics. I would concentrate on knowing when to use certain server roles not just how to.
  • St3yrSt3yr Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,

I didn't actually study for this exam - I booked it a week after passing the 649 exam which I DID study for using CBT's. The 649 nuggets cover a wide range of topics that I even used recently on the 70-680 in regards to deployment scenarios.

I'd suggest printing the objectives list from MS Learning; grabbing a highlighter and working out where you're weakest. I only passed 646 with a 720 and it IS a tough exam, but you can do it mate :).
    WIP: VCP vSphere 4.0
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    St3yr wrote: »
    Hey,

I didn't actually study for this exam - I booked it a week after passing the 649 exam which I DID study for using CBT's. The 649 nuggets cover a wide range of topics that I even used recently on the 70-680 in regards to deployment scenarios.

I'd suggest printing the objectives list from MS Learning; grabbing a highlighter and working out where you're weakest. I only passed 646 with a 720 and it IS a tough exam, but you can do it mate :).

Thanks for the comments folks :)

I've just bought the 70-646 CBT Nuggets.

Over the next few weeks, I will be working though my weaker topics with some more reading and Transcenders.

Just need to get an extra 15% - I'd settle for that :)
  • ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've just bought the 70-646 CBT Nuggets.

Over the next few weeks, I will be working though my weaker topics with some more reading and Transcenders.

Please let us know how CBT Nuggets covered this exam. I have reviewed the course outline vs. the Trainsignal 646 and CBT Nuggets looks a little more complete. The 647 exam from CBT Nuggets definitely looks more complete vs TS.

Although I'm glad I have the TS Videos, I'm seriously thinking about using CBT Nuggets for my next few exams (646, 643 & 647). At a minimum, I will try at least one just to see how they compare and will post back with my opinion.
    Zillatech wrote: »
    Please let us know how CBT Nuggets covered this exam. I have reviewed the course outline vs. the Trainsignal 646 and CBT Nuggets looks a little more complete. The 647 exam from CBT Nuggets definitely looks more complete vs TS.

Although I'm glad I have the TS Videos, I'm seriously thinking about using CBT Nuggets for my next few exams (646, 643 & 647). At a minimum, I will try at least one just to see how they compare and will post back with my opinion.

I've been through most of the CBT videos and they seem pretty good to me and they link in with the 70-646 objectives / requirements for the exam.

I'm doing my second shot of this exam on Thursday 24th, we'll see then if its been of use - i'm looking to get a 15% improvement on my last effort :)
    I have looked through the trainsignal and cbt nugget videos and I would definitely recommend cbt over trainsignal.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The format of the exam was staightforward, just 40 questions to answer in 90 minutes.

Very few questions I could answer immediately and I marked over 20 for review.
    I do this with almost every test I've taken. Net+, 70-270, and 70-290. Once I make it past the first pass there is usually half or more of the questions that I need to go back to, but this is a good thing for a couple reasons.

1. You don't spend an hour on the same question and leave the last 10 questions unanswered when time expires.

2. Sometimes one question will give you an answer to another question.

3. The second time you look at something, often it can be clearer. Staring at the same question for 10 minutes likely won't change how you are looking at it. Looking for 5 minutes and doing something else for an hour could.

On my first pass through I will only an answer that I am sure of. If I'm not sure, I'll still answer it but then mark it to come back to. If I have completely no idea, I might take a guess and mark it, or I might just leave it blank.

On the second pass, I only change an answer that I am sure is mistaken. I usually find that on my second pass through I don't change many questions that I marked.

From time to time, even after 2 passes I don't have an answer. Usually there are 1-2 of these per test. I'll look at them again, spend a little longer on them, and then just take a stab in the dark.

On the second and third pass I will write the letters on my sheet.
    A
    B
    C
    D
    I will then put an X over them if I can rule them out. This just helps me visually see which options are still on the table.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Sat the second shot attempt at the 70-646 today.

Same time, same channel, 40 question in 90 minutes, format of exam was straightforward.

Worked hard for 90 minutes and reviewed as suggested by "Devilsbane" - much appreciated.
    Did not need to amend many original questions answered. Avoided "second guessing"

Pressed the button at the end - Fail with 550 - same score as last time icon_sad.gif

Its not the failing that's the problem, its when you feel that you have done enough to pass and thought the questions were ok that's so demoralising.

I was getting 90% + on selftestsoftware and transcenders but the questions bore no resemblence to these practice tests. (on other exams I have found tests to be similar - this exam is a different animal)

I'm planning on a re-sit in 6 weeks time - will have to go back to the drawing board with my approach.

I thought that I was capable of getting "that extra 15%" but it was a completely different test and none of the previous problems I swotted up on came up.

Looks like its back to the books tomorrow icon_sad.gif

How far off do you think 55% is (near or miles off?) I reckon about 6 questions icon_sad.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

Worked hard for 90 minutes and reviewed as suggested by "Devilsbane" - much appreciated.
    Not a problem
    Its not the failing that's the problem, its when you feel that you have done enough to pass and thought the questions were ok that's so demoralising.
    I'm not sure how you feel that you have done enough to pass. The only test that I felt sure that I had passed was the 70-290 (which oddly enough was my narrowest pass). And really I think that was mostly hoping rather than expecting as I had driven nearly 300 miles to the test and refused to have done so in vain. All of the other ones I sit there waiting thinking, it is a 50-50 shot whether I pass this test. I did what I could and hopefully it was enough.
    Looks like its back to the books tomorrow icon_sad.gif

This sounds like the best option. How do the score reports compare? I would guess that they would look nearly the same. Isolate those areas and study heavily. Maybe a new book by a new author is needed. No need to set an exam date, I understand with the second shot there was pressure to do it again. Take several weeks and review everything, use the forums to ask questions about things that you don't understand fully. Gaining the perspective of a peer can often make the difference. Also make an effort to answer other peoples questions. Answering someone elses question is one of the best learning tools because it solidifies that knowledge in your head.

How far off do you think 55% is (near or miles off?) I reckon about 6 questions icon_sad.gif

First of all it likely isn't 55%. Microsoft won't tell you how they grade their tests, but each question probably isn't equal to the other questions. Maybe you only got a few wrong, but they were the questions that Microsoft thought were very important.

How do you prepare the last couple nights? Do you stay up until 3:00 the night before studying, or do you hit the bed early?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • ZillatechZillatech Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry you didn't pass, you'll get it next time.

How was the CBT Nuggets video for this exam? Didn't that help? I've been reviewing the 70-642 material because I rushed that exam a little but I'm getting ready to start on my 70-646 next week.
    Thanks for the replies folks.

In retrospect I think that the second shot offer maybe brought forward any exam plans and I may have been not quite ready as its a tough test. I passed the 70-648 in February.

With regards some of the comments above, the CBT Nuggets for this are very good - I need to target certain topics.

My exam prep seems ok., i'm familiar with the routine of getting some sleep and not cramming etc before an exam. Last couple of days just watch a CBT or two and review notes I've made.

I've also ordered the Sybex book on the 70-646 as I find the MS Press Kit very good but heavy weather. I've not read the Sybex series of books but they seem to be highly spoken of on this forum. Back to the drawing board today............
  • staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darril Gibson who wrote the excellent Security+ book (check the secuirty+ forum for references to how good it is), is the author of the sybex 70-646. So i would recommend that if you do look for extra study material.

Amazon.com: MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study…
    staggerlee wrote: »
    Darril Gibson who wrote the excellent Security+ book (check the secuirty+ forum for references to how good it is), is the author of the sybex 70-646. So i would recommend that if you do look for extra study material.

Amazon.com: MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study…

Yes that's the one I've ordered in the UK. Should be with me on Monday or Tuesday :)
    Sorry to hear about the fail man. I hated this test too it was difficult for me.I would look at the score report and hit the areas you were weakest really hard.Lab every area covered in this test extensively as well.Good luck man just keep pushing I know you can pass this test!!!
  • ricky0481ricky0481 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well... i just failed with a 656 today.... i tough i was nailing this test i felt very confident with the questions being asked...i got really surprised by the score... but i think the permissions needed to backup restore and the different options were the one that flunked me so i'm going to lab all of those again and try again next week.

and FYI every question on the exam now is about 2008R2 and Windows 7 ....