Options

Recommendation for Wireless AP

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
My boss has asked me to look into a good Wireless AP for our patients in our cafe that has a disclaimer page that they have to say agree on to connect to the internet and have the ability to log the surfing. Any recommendations?
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's all about the price he wants to pay... A nice setup would be a 2106 wireless lan controller with a few 1242AG lap's

Or if its just a small cafe then a single 1240K9-A-G (autonomous ap) that can be configured as a stand alone with some sort of wireless security gateway.

A cheap setup would be a 1231K9-A-G with some open source wireless security gateway.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    Well we are looking to pay next to not much just the price of the AP. I been looking at DDWRT and a NoCatSplash
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Well we are looking to pay next to not much just the price of the AP. I been looking at DDWRT and a NoCatSplash
    If DD-WRT + NoCatSplash does everything you need then why are you asking in the CCNA:Wireless forum? :P

It may have Cisco on the box but anything that is also Linksys branded is a completely different product and doesn't run IOS at all.

As for what consumer AP to get, you'll have to look at the compatibility list at the DD-WRT site since it varies. Linksys alone have a multitude of different models and each model has differing hardware versions. Not all of them are good and not all of them are compatible with DD-WRT or any other third party firmware build.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    If DD-WRT + NoCatSplash does everything you need then why are you asking in the CCNA:Wireless forum? :P

It may have Cisco on the box but anything that is also Linksys branded is a completely different product and doesn't run IOS at all.

As for what consumer AP to get, you'll have to look at the compatibility list at the DD-WRT site since it varies. Linksys alone have a multitude of different models and each model has differing hardware versions. Not all of them are good and not all of them are compatible with DD-WRT or any other third party firmware build.

Because I was hoping to get some other input. :) and you guys are great at giving it :)