LPIC Series Info & Resources

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
LPIC-1

Objectives
Exam 101: Detailed Objectives / LPIC-1 / The LPIC Program / Certification / Home - LPI -
Exam 102: Detailed Objectives / LPIC-1 / The LPIC Program / Certification / Home - LPI -

Books
LPI in a Nutshell (Old Edition 2006, still a great resource)
LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell, Second Edition - O'Reilly Media

LPI in a Nutshell (New Edition)
Amazon.com: LPI Linux Certification in a Nutshell (9780596804879): Adam Haeder, Stephen Addison Schneiter, Bruno Gomes Pessanha, James Stanger: Books

Michael Jang's LPIC-1 book
Amazon.com: LPIC-1 In Depth (9781598639674): Michael Jang: Books

Beginner's Guide for Linux
Amazon.com: Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide, Fifth Edition (9780071545884): Wale…

Sybex LPIC-1
Amazon.com: LPIC-1: Linux Professional Institute Certification Study Guide: (Exams 101 and 102) (9780470404836):…

Exam Cram LPIC-1
Amazon.com: LPIC 1 Exam Cram: Linux Professional Institute Certification Exams 101 and 102 (2nd Edition)…

Wiki Books
LPI Linux Certification/Junior Level Linux Professional - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks
LPI Linux Certification/Junior Level Linux Professional - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

Sites | Study Notes
Security Nut
Linux Home Networking - Tutorials and Forums
Browse RHCE Lab Scripts Files on SourceForge.net
LPI Certification Self-Study Guide
PenguinTutor - Linux Tutorials and LPI Certification Practice Exams Quiz Start Page
Linux Professional Institute (LPI) exam prep : Overview (Work in Progress)
GNU/Linux Manuals

CBT Nuggets
CBT Nuggets: Linux LPIC-1 Series

LPIC-2

Objectives
Exam 201: Detailed Objectives / LPIC-2 / The LPIC Program / Certification / Home - LPI -
Exam 202: Detailed Objectives / LPIC-2 / The LPIC Program / Certification / Home - LPI -

Web book covering both 201 & 202
The LPIC-2 Exam Prep

Wiki Books
LPI Linux Certification/LPIC2 Exam 201 - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks
LPI Linux Certification/LPIC2 Exam 202 - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks

Sites | Study Notes
Debian Linux Tutorial - Beginners Guide To Linux Servers and Networking Installation and Set Up with Instructions On How To Configure A Home Server (Debian Specific Guides)
UnixTutorials - Tutorials and howtos for Unix based operating systems (Linux, Ubuntu, BSD and more) (General Linux How-Tos)
http://www.penguintutor.com/cgi-bin/quiz/index.pl

CBT Nuggets
CBT Nuggets: Linux LPIC-2 Series

LPIC-3

Objectives
Exam 301: Detailed Objectives / LPIC-3 / The LPIC Program / Certification / Home - LPI -
Exam 302: Detailed Objectives / LPIC-3 / The LPIC Program / Certification / Home - LPI -
Exam 303: Detailed Objectives / LPIC-3 / The LPIC Program / Certification / Home - LPI -

Web Book
Study Guide / Book for LPIC-3 exam (117-301)

Wiki Style Web Book
wiki:certification:lpic301 [LPI Certification Documentation]

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice!

Sticky nomination!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    Wow, thank you. I have gotten of the Linux track but this might just give me a needed kick in the butt to get going again.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Outstanding compilation of resources. You might also add the PenguinTutor's free web exam simulations at PenguinTutor - Linux Tutorials and LPI Certification Practice Exams Quiz Start Page
    Covers both LPIC-1 and LPIC-2.
    Sticky by any and all means icon_cheers.gif
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    Outstanding compilation of resources. You might also add the PenguinTutor's free web exam simulations at PenguinTutor - Linux Tutorials and LPI Certification Practice Exams Quiz Start Page
    Covers both LPIC-1 and LPIC-2.
    Sticky by any and all means icon_cheers.gif

I was under LPIC-1 Site already....I add it to the LPIC-2 area as well. Thanks.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Booyah, this is awesome! Thank you bowing.gif
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I vote stickyicon_thumright.gif
    How about you mods?
    I plan to eventually tackle these exams. I had started on studying for the Linux+ months ago. I'm still a cli noob and learning a little as I go. This is definitely going to take some concerted effort and I'm trying to finish up at WGU right now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Can we also sticky the Red Hat one with the updated info? I know you guys like the LPIC stuff, but the RHCE sticky is pretty out of date too. icon_wink.gif
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    This resource may be also helpfull in your LPIC-1 studies (or general Linux interest):
    QuickSheets
  • choobysoochoobysoo Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great Share, thank you very much
  • log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    A word of caution, that Happy Monket link is broken, and if you search to find it, once you get to a website, it asks for a credit card number.
  • opethdiscipleopethdisciple Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Some good resources there, but unfortunately out dated.

For the LPIC1 exam there is loads of up to date material. Books on Amazon from 2015, cbt nuggets etc.

However I'm having some real problem with the LPIC2 material. There is NO CBT NUGGETS! The latest Sybex book I can find is from 2011. :/ The exam was last updated in 2013. So I'm not sure if the Sybex book is still relevant or not....

And the LPIC3, despite the fact that that is miles off, is even more sketchy on material. This is really disheartening to me, as the LPIC material looked really good and relevant.

Any one have any up-to-date sources for the LPIC2 exam? I need a book or videos with hands on examples.

The Urban Penguin is quite good and it's free.
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I believe LinuxAcademy has study material for the first LPIC-2 test, but not the second one. I imagine that they'll get around to making material for the second one at some point.

Edit: I just logged in and seems like they only have partial material for the first LPIC-2 test right now.
  • lovejoilovejoi Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you help me with several questions

1) Can I pass LPIC-1 in one exam or need pass two?

2) Is there any lab or just questions with answers?

3) when I pass LPIC-1 i will automaticaly get Linux+ and Suse certification

Thank you in advance.
  • indigomx9indigomx9 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1) Can I pass LPIC-1 in one exam or need pass two? You will need to pass two exams:
    https://www.lpi.org/certification/get-certified-lpi/lpic-1-linux-server-professional/

2) Is there any lab or just questions with answers? Each exam is 60 questions, mostly multiple choice and some fill in the blank.

3) when I pass LPIC-1 i will automaticaly get Linux+ and Suse certification. NO, you will need to register for CompTIA Linux+ and have them forward your scores to LPIC. https://certification.comptia.org/certifications/linux
  • masqmasq Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone, I've checked amazon recently, searching for some fresh linux books, and how surprised I was when I've found that there is an up-to-date book for LPIC-1 preparation by Christine Bresnahan, and the LPIC-2 Study Guide will be released in Sep,2016!
    The thing is, the author have changed, it's not Roderick Smith anymore - I guess it means that the overall writing style changed a bit, but nevertheless , it's Sybex Study Guide.. I personally would trust that.
    PS. Really glad that LPI's alive, and doing fine, as some new books appear on the market.. it's been a long time since the last LPIC study guide realease.
    But I really doubt that there will be any LPIC-3 study guides in the near future.
    2018:
    • RHCE
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Masq, I'm just starting down the LPIC track. I see you have LPIC-2. What did you use to study and prepare? It will be a while until I get that far, but it would help to have some ideas for the future. Thanks.
    Hi.
    I used a number of books; not a big fan of video courses and online tutorials, so a classic bookworming is my choise.
    For my preparation I read Rob Tracy's Comptia Guide, and Roderick Smith's LPIC-1 Guide.. But both these books are outdated now.
    And so, if I were you, I would stick with C.Bresnahan's LPIC-1 Study Guide.

ed.:
    Yeah, and for the LPIC-2 .. it was a way different story, just check my threads in this forum. In any case, LPIC-2 Study Guide that is going to be released in Sep,2016 looks _very_ promising to me, and by the time you start your preparation for this exam, the book will still be up to date..
    From my experience, the "study guide" itself helps you actually get the minimum score and pass the exams, but for me it wasn't just enough, so I overprepared for LPIC2 exams as I wanted to get a deeper understanding of all the exam objectives, and for every subject that I wasn't familiar with, I got a separate book.. Like one book for Postfix, another one for squid, and another one for OpenVPN, and so on, and read, re-read, and labbed until I felt like a ninja,yeah..
    2018:
    • RHCE
  • doctorlexusdoctorlexus Member Posts: 217
    I wonder if there's any difference between https://www.amazon.com/dp/1119021189/ and https://www.amazon.com/dp/1119021219/

Well, besides about $2. Same authors.
    Hell sure there _is_ a difference... - the "introductory part ".
    LPIC-1 Certification Study Guide
    Paperback: 696 pages
    Publisher: Sybex; 4 edition (April 27, 2015)
    CompTIA Linux+ Powered by blablabla guide
    Paperback: 696 pages
    Publisher: Sybex; 3 edition (April 27, 2015)
    - No surprises . As Linux+ got "powered by LPI" it's like being officially dead. It is LPI exam, with another naming, that's it.
    Same for the books.
    2018:
    • RHCE
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wonder if there's any difference between https://www.amazon.com/dp/1119021189/ and https://www.amazon.com/dp/1119021219/

Well, besides about $2. Same authors.

as per the cover, you get a 10% discount vouchers for the exams with the Linux+ book.
    Hey everyone.
    Recently I found a couple of web resources covering LPIC-3(304) Exam objectives:
    wiki:certification:lpic304 [LPI Certification Documentation]
    https://www.lisenet.com/lpic-3/
    These look promising enough.. Well, after skipping through these web-pages, I can state that they are not very detailed, but both are worth looking at. It's better than nothing they say.
    2018:
    • RHCE
  • junilinuxjunilinux Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have received an email from LPI that they are going to release an update to LPIC-2 from version 4.0 to version 4.5 in the last quarter of this year, maybe from October or November.

This includes...lots of changes from:
    - Increasing the coverage of systemd, including journaling and filesystem mounting
    - Addition of IPv6 and TLS
    - Updates to Linux 4.x, Apache 2.4...
    - Removal detailed knowledge on lilo
    ... and more could be found at https://wiki.lpi.org/wiki/LPIC-2_Summary_Version_4.0_To_4.5

Personally I thinks this should be the necessary step up from version 4.0 (released from 2014) to update all new knowledge to candidates who want to achieve to this certification level. Get excited but there are lots of things to prepare for it ;)
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    junilinux wrote: »
    I have received an email from LPI that they are going to release an update to LPIC-2 from version 4.0 to version 4.5 in the last quarter of this year, maybe from October or November.

This includes...lots of changes from:
    - Increasing the coverage of systemd, including journaling and filesystem mounting
    - Addition of IPv6 and TLS
    - Updates to Linux 4.x, Apache 2.4...
    - Removal detailed knowledge on lilo
    ... and more could be found at https://wiki.lpi.org/wiki/LPIC-2_Summary_Version_4.0_To_4.5

Personally I thinks this should be the necessary step up from version 4.0 (released from 2014) to update all new knowledge to candidates who want to achieve to this certification level. Get excited but there are lots of things to prepare for it ;)

Nice to see they're continuing to update the objectives with current technologies. I think the added objectives definitely add value to the LPIC-2 certification.
  • junilinuxjunilinux Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LPI seems going to release a new certification to catch up with the technology trends in the Autumn of this year. As a result, LPIC-OT DevOps, as its name says, is dedicated specifically for DevOps geeks as well as developer, system admin dealing with Agile, Docker container in their day by day tasks can have a qualified cert supports for their job and career path.

Although LPI says that they does not require any prerequisite cert but at least LPIC-1 equal knowledge is recommended to prepare for the test

For more information, please go to https://wiki.lpi.org/wiki/LPIC-OT_DevOps_Tools_Engineer_Objectives_V1
  • Learn_everythingLearn_everything Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I study for the LPIC-1 series at the moment. Are the materials mentioned in the first post still up-to-date?
  • mechanicalmechanical Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any body have any test linux lpic 1 ?¿ i am spanish, and with the english ebook is ***** for me, i would like get some test free . Thank you before ! Cheers