70-647 fail

I took the 647 today and I failed with a 676 icon_sad.gif . I felt the exams was not that difficult and I felt very confident I would not only pass but would pass would a pretty good score.Well I was wrong.I don't know how I failed there was a few things that I wasn't 100% sure on the answer but most of the questions I felt I knew pretty easy.I guess I have to hit the books again.I wish they were more clear on my weak points like instead of saying need development on designing core identity and access management components for example they would just say I need to improve on say DNS, RRAS, WSUS and IPSec.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck with this exam. I've heard it is a lot different than the previous MCTS exams.
    What study material are you using? What's your experience level?
    I've not yet started studying for this exam (still working on 70-643) but have started a resource thread which may have a few useful links for you. If you Know of any useful info I could put in that thread feel free to post or PM me.
    Good luck on your retake! You were pretty close so you should be able to work out your weak areas and pass next time.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • texasittexasit Member Posts: 147
    I used CBT Nuggets and I skimmed through some Testout videos and read some of the MSpress book for the 647.I felt the Testout videos were very good.I have been in IT for 6 years and have done mostly desktop side work but have also done server work as well.
    Hopefully next time I can pass this test.Good thing I did that second chance offer.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't think of it as a fail, think of it as a learning opportunity. You thought you knew it, apparently you were wrong, and now you have a free second shot to try again. Normally you don't get a free practice test, today you did.

Also, its not like you bombed it, you were close. It is possible you just got a bad question set. Maybe next time you will get better questions?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    MS tests are known for being poorly worded. Sometimes, they are really bad.

One tip is to study with the hardest questions you can find. Maybe Transcender or MeasureUp. Oftentimes the quizzes that come with the books are too easy compared to the real test. Also, the more real world experience you have the easier you will find it. So if you haven't built a lab, do so and then go through all of the practice exercises. The MS Press books usually have a lot of practice lessons you can follow.

Drew
  • ciscog33kciscog33k Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    drew2000 wrote: »

One tip is to study with the hardest questions you can find. Maybe Transcender or MeasureUp. Oftentimes the quizzes that come with the books are too easy compared to the real test. Also, the more real world experience you have the easier you will find it. So if you haven't built a lab, do so and then go through all of the practice exercises. The MS Press books usually have a lot of practice lessons you can follow.

Drew

I've taken 5 so far and I don't think they were poorly worded, except one question on the 83-640. I think that a lot of people that take the exams and complain about that just lack reading comprehension skills. On the 647 especially, the questions are a lot longer, but they weren't poorly worded. You DO have to read carefully, because the right answer can turn on a single word.
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    I guess everyone has their own opinion. I have taken 8 MS tests, and of those 2 were pretty clear.

Oh well.

Drew
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Don't think of it as a fail, think of it as a learning opportunity. You thought you knew it, apparently you were wrong, and now you have a free second shot to try again. Normally you don't get a free practice test, today you did.

Also, its not like you bombed it, you were close. It is possible you just got a bad question set. Maybe next time you will get better questions?

yeah thats true I was close probably by 1-2 questions.Hopefully I can pass next time.
    drew2000 wrote: »

Drew

I have found a few questions to be badly worded but more than anything I have found some questions to be loaded with more information than needed which makes some questions an unnecessary long read.I have a little lab setup and I have found it useful I may need to add a few roles to it and practice some more.