Job interview tomorrow ~ what to wear?

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
Let me start by saying the job is for systems administrator pos. It is in boulder, co and most the people at the place dress casual as in jeans and a polo from what ive heard from the HR.

Would it be ok to just wear nice jeans and a collar t-shirt tucked in with a tie instead of going with some dress pants? I would also be having to drive from my current job to the interview with no time in between to stop and change. They would question me if I was to wear dress pants and stuff to my current job lol.

So I guess my question is has anyone ever dressed like this to a job interview?

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would wear a suit and tie, it's always best to overdress.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A good rule of thumb is to dress one level up from what you'll be wearing if you work there. Khakis,dress shirt, and a tie may be good enough. A suit never hurts though.
    I have personally changed into a suit in a convenience store bathroom when going from my regular job to an interview. It got a laugh from the lady at the counter.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I always wear a suit unless they specifically tell me not to.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd never go with jeans no matter what the dress code is. Personally I always go suit, but many people will argue slacks, button down and a tie is just as good. When I was interviewing while I had a job I just brought my suit and changed in the car if I had to.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dress slacks, button up, tie, shoes....and a blazer if you feel like it
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Hmm I'm thinking then at the most some khakis with a button down and tie. She just sent me a reminder email and it re-iterated that it it was business casual attire. So def. no suit.
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    Gray/Navy Blue/Charcoal suit, white shirt, conservative tie, brown shows and socks which match suit color.
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Hmm I'm thinking then at the most some khakis with a button down and tie. She just sent me a reminder email and it re-iterated that it it was business casual attire. So def. no suit.

I'd go with a suit anyway, but thats your call.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    A suit. Nothing else is acceptable in my mind. For example, by following the "dress one step up from the work attire" rule I would've gone to my interview in Jeans and a t-shirt. I always wear a suit, regardless of the job.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    100% Suite. Always over dress and be on safe side.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wear a wife beater and some cut-off jean shorts.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Wear a wife beater and some cut-off jean shorts.

And make sure to wear some Gang Colors !

I laughed when I read this.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • doc hollidaydoc holliday Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Always a suit, no doubt about it!
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    if you're hardcore, you tell them what to wear
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • CountryboiCountryboi Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    please dont wear jeans....at the very least wear dress slacks, button up and a tie
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Countryboi wrote: »
    please dont wear jeans....at the very least wear dress slacks, button up and a tie

Don't listen to this man. In fact, wear two pairs of jeans (denim boxers too) and a flannel shirt. It's not called a Canadian Tuxedo for nothing.

Here is Justin Timberlake showing you how to get it done:

2hiayif.jpg
    thenjduke wrote: »
    100% Suite.

Which one? Norton? Symantec?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    This will be me tomorrow except with a tie and no briefcase.

businesscasual.jpg
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

ESET of course!
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    If you have a suit throw it on. If this is a customer facing position you BETTER wear a suit.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • OnefiveOnefive Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've never worn a suite to a job interview, EVER. I always go casual khakis, and a collared shirt. I've done jeans a few times too. All of my tech friends have done the same. In fact a co-worker/friend of mine did a T-Shirt and jeans at his interview for a very big name company in Silicon Valley recently and had no problems what so ever icon_wink.gif. I think the attitude around here is different though, the tech companies in Silicon Valley only care about your technical knowledge, they wont hire someone because they dressed nicely. That is something law firms and financial companies do.

Cheers.
    Don't listen to this man. In fact, wear two pairs of jeans (denim boxers too) and a flannel shirt. It's not called a Canadian Tuxedo for nothing.

Here is Justin Timberlake showing you how to get it done:

2hiayif.jpg

I would go with Norton oh wait Symantec makes Norton :)

I need a spell checker once in awhile :)
  • DeesielDeesiel Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote: »
    This will be me tomorrow except with a tie and no briefcase.

businesscasual.jpg

Good choice.

Even without the tie you'd still be considered business casual. Don't feel forced to wear one if you aren't comfortable in them.
    AAS in CS/Networking Technology, A+, Network+, Security+, MCTS Vista Config, MCSA 2003, CCNA
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    On a side note, I do not own a brief case but when I go to a job interview I bring copies of my resume in a leather portfolio. The portfolio is not as bulky as a briefcase but allows you to carry documents with you.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • luckybobluckybob Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I always wear a suit. The past two jobs I have interviewed for and got, comments have been made about how they support a casual dress. I personally feel dressing like a professional is the best way to get a professional position. You can certainly tone it down once you get hired.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    A suit is a sign of respect not only for yourself but to the people that took the time to interview you.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    A suit would be the best option.
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Extremely short cut off jean shorts, a Budweiser tank top (chicken grease stain optional), calf height socks, and some work boots. Standard operating procedure.

Wear a suit. No matter what the dress code of the place you are interviewing.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    wear a black suit with a deep red dress shirt and a red silk hanky in the breast pocket, wear some Italian loafers and wear sunglasses

Damn, you'll be blazing up in there.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.