Transitioning from Netapp to EMC?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
How difficult would it be to transition from a Netapp to an EMC environment?

Comments

• sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what type of hw is involved? nas only? fc? iscsi? are you looking to deploy similar software support netapp had (snapshots, replication, etc)?
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    How difficult would it be to transition from a Netapp to an EMC environment?
    Easy, just forklift the EMC stuff out, put in the NetApp, and call it a day! Oh, wait, do you still need your data??
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    No seriously guys come on. I keep seeing ad’s that say they want EMC experience, but then they say “any NAS/SAN experience will do.” So we mostly use our Netapps for CIFS and iSCSI for our Xenservers. I completely tore both our Netapps down and rebuilt them from scratch, so I’m not an expert, but I’d feel comfortable if they had Netapp, but I don’t know about EMC.
    No seriously guys come on. I keep seeing ad’s that say they want EMC experience, but then they say “any NAS/SAN experience will do.” So we mostly use our Netapps for CIFS and iSCSI for our Xenservers. I completely tore both our Netapps down and rebuilt them from scratch, so I’m not an expert, but I’d feel comfortable if they had Netapp, but I don’t know about EMC.

it wasnt clear to me you were talking about job expr over doing a data migration from diff platforms.

the concept of fc switch zoning, lun masking/security, and things like that arent going to be so diff that you wouldnt follow if you did it with netapp. some of the ways you might do clones/replication/snapshots are gonna be diff (if those are used at all). really hard to say as you would need to know what they have vs what you have used already.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
    sidsanders wrote: »
    it wasnt clear to me you were talking about job expr over doing a data migration from diff platforms.

Well, I was mostly pointing that at the forklift comment. You were helpful sidsanders. Basically my boss said as long as I am working on a windows environment as long as I bone up on my iSCSI I should be fine. I haven't worked with NFS or a lot of *nix in general. Which isn't to say I don't want to, I just don't have the chops and all the jobs for *nix seem to be Sr Admin.
    Well, I was mostly pointing that at the forklift comment. You were helpful sidsanders. Basically my boss said as long as I am working on a windows environment as long as I bone up on my iSCSI I should be fine. I haven't worked with NFS or a lot of *nix in general. Which isn't to say I don't want to, I just don't have the chops and all the jobs for *nix seem to be Sr Admin.

no probs... you can break out an iscsi target on openfiler which will expose you to linux/nfs as well. neat project if you want to learn some non windows stuff.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    no probs... you can break out an iscsi target on openfiler which will expose you to linux/nfs as well. neat project if you want to learn some non windows stuff.

+1

And you can create shared storage for vm cluster environments. I'm going to use this method when preparing for the 70-293 exam.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you know if they're using Symmetrix, CLARiiON or Celerra?

I did actually have OF running on a server at home, before I really knew what I was doing. I scrapped it though, because without having hardware based raid, managing the raid was more than I could keep up with. I'm def going to turn back to OF in the future though, it was nice.
    astors wrote: »
    Do you know if they're using Symmetrix, CLARiiON or Celerra?

They don't usually say. They just say EMC.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They don't usually say. They just say EMC.
    EMC has a Celerra virtual appliance you can play with to get acquainted with it.
    New Celerra VSA (5.6.48.701) and Updated SRM4 in a box guide - Virtual Geek

Also, you shouldn't make such vague posts, or else don't be surprised to get sarcastic replies. icon_cool.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV