I need advice on the jo...[18Yrs old, confused]

ScytheX10ScytheX10 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need advice on the jobs and getting in them in this field.

Little back story. I've been researching and playing with the IT field, specifically networking and security field for quite a while. Currently I'm a student going for my 2year in IT Networking & Security. I'm also studying to take my Network+. In the long run, I plan on shooting for a some broad-spectrum certs such as the N+, and some vendor specific certs from Cisco or MS. So far I'm finding a lot of the material in the N+ study materials and a lot of the stuff being taught in my classes is stuff I have quite a firm grasp on.

Onto the real part.
I was just looking at jobs online, just for the hell of it, not actually intending to obtain a job quite yet. But I noticed every single job I found required about 2 years of experience. I found almost no entry level jobs in my area. Which leaves the question; How does one get a job, when all the jobs require previous job experience? This kind of scared me.

I know in my mind I have the technical expertise and knowledge to administer a small network, or something simple like working at a help desk or call center, but I do not have the work experience to show it.

Can someone explain to me how is one supposed to get INTO a career in this field after they have the certifications and or a 2-4 year diploma if all jobs require prior/related experience?

Sorry if this is lengthy, but I'm just a bit worried on what I'm getting myself into. I'm worried that I will spend all this money on education and certifications to end up screwed

Thanks.

Comments

• ScytheX10ScytheX10 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I really need to learn to look before I post.

Just read the 'state of the job field' sticky on this board. Which cleared a few things up.

But if anyone still has any input I would appreciate it :D
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ScytheX10 wrote: »
    I need advice on the jobs and getting in them in this field.

Little back story. I've been researching and playing with the IT field, specifically networking and security field for quite a while. Currently I'm a student going for my 2year in IT Networking & Security. I'm also studying to take my Network+. In the long run, I plan on shooting for a some broad-spectrum certs such as the N+, and some vendor specific certs from Cisco or MS. So far I'm finding a lot of the material in the N+ study materials and a lot of the stuff being taught in my classes is stuff I have quite a firm grasp on.

Onto the real part.
    I was just looking at jobs online, just for the hell of it, not actually intending to obtain a job quite yet. But I noticed every single job I found required about 2 years of experience. I found almost no entry level jobs in my area. Which leaves the question; How does one get a job, when all the jobs require previous job experience? This kind of scared me.

I know in my mind I have the technical expertise and knowledge to administer a small network, or something simple like working at a help desk or call center, but I do not have the work experience to show it.

Can someone explain to me how is one supposed to get INTO a career in this field after they have the certifications and or a 2-4 year diploma if all jobs require prior/related experience?

Sorry if this is lengthy, but I'm just a bit worried on what I'm getting myself into. I'm worried that I will spend all this money on education and certifications to end up screwed

Thanks.

Start building home labs and put it on resume that you have built a network at home. I would go and share your time for expierence with chruch or local government. Volunteer all over the place.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really need to learn to look before I post.

Just read the 'state of the job field' sticky on this board. Which cleared a few things up.

But if anyone still has any input I would appreciate it :D

Do you know whether you are more interested in Network Infrastructure or Servers? Often times there is an interest in one over the other. If you find which is more interesting it usually makes it easier to study for.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Simple fixes to this problem:

1. Volunteer, find a local repair shop and volunteer. Chances are they'll take you on because well... it's free labor for them and who knows, it could turn into a full-time position later down the road if they like you enough, that would get your feet wet at least though and the volunteer experience you can list on your resume.

2. Type a skillset that you can put within your resume. Right now my resume has the first page as a skillset alone, after that is prior work experience (all retail, no IT related) and education (not in that order I don't think... but you get what I mean). The skillset will be a list of tasks that you feel you can do with minimum supervision. Stuff like "Deploy Windows 7 within a business and home environment", or "Troubleshoot application problems and compatibility issues". A skillset can set your resume apart from other candidates who just list prior work experience since you're actually telling the hiring manager what you are capable of. Now a note with this, dont' just list random tasks if you don't know them, chances are if you do decide to put a skill set then the interviewer may quiz you on those specifics if they are tech savvy.

3. Geek Squad... I know, we don't like it all that much but we all have to start somewhere. If you have a Best Buy in your area then see if their Geek Squad division is hiring, this will give you some real world experience and you'll get paid as well. Best of all, Geek Squad normally doesn't require prior work experience so it's a great starting point for someone who's your age and on your path. You can always move away from that position whenever you get more eduction or better job opportunities present themselves.

That's about it, really just those three and you should be good to go.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • shecoolshecool Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I know the feeling -- I am 20 and still completing the degree. If there are any internship options available from your school I'd definitely try that. The co-op program at my school has enabled me to work in 2 different IT positions which has been really helpful for building my network and and resume.
    Up Next: CCDA, CCDP
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was just looking at jobs online, just for the hell of it, not actually intending to obtain a job quite yet. But I noticed every single job I found required about 2 years of experience. I found almost no entry level jobs in my area. Which leaves the question; How does one get a job, when all the jobs require previous job experience?
    You apply anyway if it's a job you feel you have the skills to accomplish. Same if they are asking for a Bachelors Degree and you only have an Associates. The worst thing that can happen is they toss your resume in the trash. The best thing that could happen is they decide to call you in for an interview to see what you've got to offer (and how cheap you'd be to hire icon_lol.gif).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    I'm in the same boat as your buddy, a little further along....but I am 22....I'm finishing up my BS IT degree in July and working on certs. I'd recommend getting an entry level Helpdesk support job and starting there you'll learn a great deal and it will advance your expereince on your resume....where I am at now is i've been working help desk for 2.5 years now i'm wondering where I can move up to next....??
    Currently studying for:
    MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure
  • ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You apply anyway if it's a job you feel you have the skills to accomplish. Same if they are asking for a Bachelors Degree and you only have an Associates. The worst thing that can happen is they toss your resume in the trash. The best thing that could happen is they decide to call you in for an interview to see what you've got to offer (and how cheap you'd be to hire icon_lol.gif).

Mike I envy you...how on earth did you come upon all of those certifications...you must be the man making mad mula....icon_cheers.gif
    Currently studying for:
    MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure
  • ScytheX10ScytheX10 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just thought I would reply to this. As things have changed drastically.

I've actually stepped much deeper into the security portion of IT. Primarily penetration testing. I got off lucky recently and snatched a gig with a municipal after I helped fixed web-level vulnerabilities, and redesign the website's security and DB.

Aside from that, I also managed to snag a part time job as a lab monitor at my college, I suggest that people really push for the same, it really helped me put some experience on my resume.

I managed to get my N+. now I'm working towards my Security+ and my eyes are set on the C|EH when I meet the requirements.
    I'm actually liking security a lot more than networking to be completely honest. The best part; security is very network related icon_cheers.gif
    All in all, I just wanted to post this to let people know you can be in a crappy spot as I was and easily pull out of it :), I actually thought I was quite screwed when I made the original post

Big thanks to techexams.net and all its members, helped me a ton.