70-298 and 70-299

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'm just wondering how similar these exams are. I'll need them both in the next year if I want the MCSE:S. Is there a lot/anything that is going to carry over and make my life easier?

Which test is easier? Should I take the 298 first?

Thanks
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They are very similar. 299 is straight forward, the 298 is made up of several testlets, each of which is timed. You can use the 299 book for both of the exams. I did get the 298 book, but it is very dry to read, but a good reference tool.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My plan was to get my MCSA (Just need the 291) then do Security+ (and get it for life) and then do the 299 to get MCSA:S. Then I was going to start on the MCSE.

But if these tests are so similar that they can use the same book, maybe I should rethink this. It doesn't make any sense to learn the material, and then have it pop back up a few months later.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would (and did) sit them at the same time. The content is nearly identical; it's just presented in different formats.

I'd do 293 and 294 first though. You're going to be making things so much more difficult on yourself without a solid understanding of PKI and Group Policy/AD.
    dynamik wrote: »
    I would (and did) sit them at the same time. The content is nearly identical; it's just presented in different formats.

I'd do 293 and 294 first though. You're going to be making things so much more difficult on yourself without a solid understanding of PKI and Group Policy/AD.

That does make sense. Plus I hear the 291 overlaps a little bit with the 293. I think my new plan will be to finish the 291, get my security+, then dive right into the 293, followed by 294. Then do the 298 and 299 to finish my MCSE and also get the security specialization.

I'm planning for about a test a month, give or take where needed. Except the 298/299 could probably be done a little quicker.

How does that sound?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I usually do an exam every month, but then I hit a wall after three or four and need to take some time off. That sounds like a do-able course of action, but allow some flexibility if you start feeling worn out. Don't make yourself miserable.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Don't make yourself miserable.

I'm young, and I can sleep when I'm dead.

I do have a dilema now though. I need to pick one of your fine answers and give some rep to it... but which one?
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Having sat both of them. I found the 298 exam easier as its the Design exam. The hardest part for me wasnt in the exam it was getting through the ms press book it was incredibly dull...
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
    Anyone use CBT nuggets for these?
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Used CBT for 298. I thought it was very well done and give much my passing that exam to that nugget.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
    Any other good resources that I should look into for these tests?
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have the Sybex book for 299 and the MS Press book for 298. Is the Sybex book enough for both exams? Mind you, I have seven years experience with 2003, I am already an MCSE, and I have been quite security minded for some time.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    You should be alright, then. I used the MS press 299 for both the 298/299. I haven't heard whether the Sybex book is good or not.
    Well, I am borrowing the CBT Nuggets for these from a friend. It seems like a very effective way to cover the material. Does this route seem alright? I am taking some notes and plan to rehash some of it with reading from the mentioned books.
    You should be good then. It sounds like you have a lot of experience. I found that following along with a lab computers on the nuggets helped as well.
    I have all my books for the 293, 294, 298, and 299. The plan is to knock out Security+ on Thursday and then jump into the 293 boat that night. It will still be sometime until my date with these two tests, but from what you guys are saying I'll be alright.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How is the Transcender practice exams for 298? Are they any good or should I skip it?
    RomBUS wrote: »
    How is the Transcender practice exams for 298? Are they any good or should I skip it?

I don't have them yet, but I intend to buy them. The 298 has a different testing environment, and I don't want that to throw me off.
    The 298 is a set of several mini-tests. It helps to have good time management with that exam. The 299 actually helped me prep better for this exam than the 298 book.
    299 down, will do 298 in a couple of days.
    powerfool wrote: »
    299 down, will do 298 in a couple of days.

congrats!
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    congrats!

How are your Security+ studies going? From what I hear about it, there is a lot of material just covering common TCP ports and such.

As for your MS exam path, I would waste a lot of time between these exams, they all dovetail nicely into each other. There is a lot of material on 299/298 that is covered in the four core exams.
    powerfool wrote: »
    How are your Security+ studies going? From what I hear about it, there is a lot of material just covering common TCP ports and such.

As for your MS exam path, I would waste a lot of time between these exams, they all dovetail nicely into each other. There is a lot of material on 299/298 that is covered in the four core exams.

Ha, Security+ was finished in August ;)

I'm working on the 293 right now, I just scheduled it for the 25th. I wanted to take it next week, but a couple people are already on vacation, so no more time off is supposed to be given. (I could probably get it, but don't see a reason to rock the boat if I don't need to).

An extra couple days can't hurt.
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    The 298 is a set of several mini-tests. It helps to have good time management with that exam. The 299 actually helped me prep better for this exam than the 298 book.

I see that the Transcender exams have multiple case studies with several questions that have to do with it...yeah it looks like the format for 298 is different than previous exams
    RomBUS wrote: »
    I see that the Transcender exams have multiple case studies with several questions that have to do with it...yeah it looks like the format for 298 is different than previous exams

Yes, 298 is a design exam. All of the design exams have the case study format. It is quite awkward if you aren't prepared for it. I took two of them on the 2000 track, 219 (Active Directory design) and 221 (Network Infrastructure design). I wish I would have taken 220 (Security design) back in the day so that I wouldn't have to do 298 now, but oh well...

I really messed up my early opportunities to upgrade. MS sent me vouchers to do all of the exams for 2003 when they were in beta, and I just didn't show up. The proctor at the testing facility that I use actually brought it up when I did 299 because it still shows in the system. I could have had this all wrapped up in 2003... oh well. I guess that is just a lesson to keep in my mind the next time I have an opportunity like that.
    298, done. It is about flipping time.

I spent July and the first week of August doing 290, 291, 293, and 294 to update my MCSE to 2003 and then couldn't work up the nerve to do the Security specialization... It's been a good October :)

I guess November is MCITP: EA... and December is CCNA: Security.
    Congrats! You're moving right along.
    I wish I had your speed.