New to Forum

DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
this is my first time to join a forum. And i found this forum to be very useful.

i'm 20 yrs old, been using computer since i was 5 years old, graduate of 2 year IT related course, planning to continue my studies next year to have my bachelors degree (adding up 2 years more) , . . . i'm working now as technical support representative, saving money for my studies next year.

anyway, i'm planning to take certifications before the year ends. don't know which to go first. planning to go for the entry level certs. . .

a+, network+ or security+ icon_confused.gif:

don't know which should i go first. . .

thanks in advance. . .

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First off, welcome to TE!!!!

Of those three certifications I would say at least think about getting the A+ first; its really good for validating your basic computer/tshooting knowledge of Windows. Network+ has recently been debated as either you do or you don't depending on what other networking certs you may have or are going to achieve. Sec+ is a definite if you are going into security or are trying to follow the DoD 8705 requirements for an end game career.

Overall, A+ --> Net+ ---> Sec+. It doesn't hurt to pull an Ash Catchem' and catch em' all. They are lifetime if you get them before January 11th, 2011; afterwards its every 3 years. In the end, its all about coming out of those three certs with a strong IT base to propel your career off of.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They pretty much build upon each other so you should probably go in the order you have them listed there. Good that you're getting experience now as having a degree and certs and experience will make your career go into high gear.
    Any thoughts yet of what you want to do after college? That should be your guide as to what certs to get after the entry level ones.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    They pretty much build upon each other so you should probably go in the order you have them listed there. Good that you're getting experience now as having a degree and certs and experience will make your career go into high gear.
    Any thoughts yet of what you want to do after college? That should be your guide as to what certs to get after the entry level ones.

after college?
    work first while aiming for Microsoft and Cisco certs. . .

actually i'm studying windows 7, but recently stopped, planning to continue studying after having those 3 certs . . .
    First off, welcome to TE!!!!

Of those three certifications I would say at least think about getting the A+ first; its really good for validating your basic computer/tshooting knowledge of Windows. Network+ has recently been debated as either you do or you don't depending on what other networking certs you may have or are going to achieve. Sec+ is a definite if you are going into security or are trying to follow the DoD 8705 requirements for an end game career.

Overall, A+ --> Net+ ---> Sec+. It doesn't hurt to pull an Ash Catchem' and catch em' all. They are lifetime if you get them before January 11th, 2011; afterwards its every 3 years. In the end, its all about coming out of those three certs with a strong IT base to propel your career off of.

wow, . . . thanks rogue2shadow
    any tips on studying icon_study.gif for these certs?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    wow, . . . thanks rogue2shadow
    any tips on studying icon_study.gif for these certs?

Np! One rule of thumb with these CompTIA tests is always make sure you understand every single objective for each exam.

They can be accessed here:
    Download Exam Objectives

My greatest advice is to never give up no matter how daunting things may look during studying or even on game day. Relax, and take things slow. If you have any questions, feel free to post in the forum; there are tons of professionals in this forum that have specialties in all sorts of areas and are willing to help you (including meicon_cheers.gif).
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    a+, network+ or security+ icon_confused.gif:

Sounds like a great order to me.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your exams.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    My greatest advice is to never give up no matter how daunting things may look during studying or even on game day. Relax, and take things slow. If you have any questions, feel free to post in the forum; there are tons of professionals in this forum that have specialties in all sorts of areas and are willing to help you.

sure no prob . . :)

(including meicon_cheers.gif).

thanks! . . .