Mr. Security+ (aka Mr. CompTIA+)

rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
Ladies and Gentlemen,

As always thank you for your support through this progression into greatness.
I passed the Sec+ this morning with a high score and an hour left to spare.
This concludes the A+, Net+, Sec+ trifecta and its now on to ICND2 (CCNA)! I'm 5 for 5 this summer in terms of exam passes vs. attempts. I hope to continue that trend through the rest of my career. icon_cheers.gif

-r2s

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    /bow

We're not worthy, we're not worthy.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I was so relieved to see that score on the screen after the 10 minute taunting they put you through that they call a survey.

Good luck on the CCNA studies!
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome Man! You are making me look bad lol.

I am still on chapter 4. I will probably finish 4 and 5 tonight. I am still aiming to finish the book on Sunday and I have to sit in a NOC for 12 hours on Sat and Sun so I will have some time.

Not to break NDA but did you feel that the exams in the book were on par with the security+ or do you feel that something like a transcender is still needed? I am trying to decided on whether I am going to buy transcender or not...

When are you going to take the ICND2? I am going to get away from cisco for a while, since most of my new job is *nix/Windows Web and database security. I want to do the MCSA (and maybe MCSA:S) the C|EH and SSCP before I am done with my A.A.S next summer.
  • burner27burner27 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! One question though. Where the heck do you find the time? Does your job allow you to study while you're working?
    knwminus wrote: »

I am still on chapter 4. I will probably finish 4 and 5 tonight. I am still aiming to finish the book on Sunday and I have to sit in a NOC for 12 hours on Sat and Sun so I will have some time.

Not to break NDA but did you feel that the exams in the book were on par with the security+ or do you feel that something like a transcender is still needed? I am trying to decided on whether I am going to buy transcender or not...

When are you going to take the ICND2? I am going to get away from cisco for a while, since most of my new job is *nix/Windows Web and database security. I want to do the MCSA (and maybe MCSA:S) the C|EH and SSCP before I am done with my A.A.S next summer.

Don't waste your money on transcender they are over priced reseller of this: Self Test Software CompTIA SY0-201 Training Products - Practice tests and Online Courses - SY0-201

They are the exact same questions as I used both for study. Just get the 30-day online thats all you'll need. From what I remember they really didn't help a ton but its always good to get in the testing frame of mind so why not.
    Don't waste your money on transcender they are over priced reseller of this: Self Test Software CompTIA SY0-201 Training Products - Practice tests and Online Courses - SY0-201

$119 is too much? or the 30 day pass for $89? You just paid $258 for your voucher.

I have used Transcender for 5 tests in the past. I passed them all on the first time. Transcender might not have been identical to the test, but it did get me thinking in the right direction. The best part of software is the part where you can provide feedback. If you disagree with a question, or are still unsure why an answer is the answer (they do give you a detailed feed back of why the correct answer is right, and why the others are wrong) you can send feedback. They will then get back to you and give you the reason why they aren't changing it, or to let you know that they are going to change the question.

They are the exact same questions as I used both for study. Just get the 30-day online thats all you'll need. From what I remember they really didn't help a ton but its always good to get in the testing frame of mind so why not.

Just looked at the prices-- GOOD CALL! Rep for you.:D
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    $119 is too much? or the 30 day pass for $89? You just paid $258 for your voucher.

I am paying like 125 (student pass). The 30 online pass for kaplan is like 49 bucks. That's 40 bucks you can spend on the next test/book/wic
  • awg0681awg0681 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! As you predicted, we both passed. Now time to get crackin' on the next certification!
  • awg0681awg0681 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am paying like 125 (student pass). The 30 online pass for kaplan is like 49 bucks. That's 40 bucks you can spend on the next test/book/wic

I can't disagree here. I just passed Sec+ this morning and used the SelfTest Software practice tests (along with other study aides obviously). I looked at Transcender too and the only thing I can see different about them is that Transcender gives you about 40 more practice questions than SelfTest (if I recall correctly). They are the same parent company and the same questions otherwise. If you understand the underlying principles and concepts then it's debatable whether an extra 40 or so practice questions will make or break you for this exam. Other than that, I'm on a tight budget, so I needed that extra $40! Either way, I passed, so I'm satisfied! :D
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□

If they announce changes to the CCNA exam within the next month, I'll take it in August. If not, I'll just pre-study for my CCNA class in fall and then take the exam in December. Since I took this exam a week early, I think I might actually have time to get more LPIC work done icon_cheers.gif.

Without violating NDA, all I can say is Darill's book alone was enough to pass the test. As long as you grasp the application of the concepts on the objectives, you got it. There were so many other topics in the Sybex book and CBT nuggets that helped in terms of extra knowledge but were not on the objectives list.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats to you both!
    @rogue2shadow All that studying paid off..What was that high score?

@Knwminus self test and Transcender are basically the same. Transcender comes with a few little extras you probably wont even use. I believe the 2 are owned by the same company. Good luck on your test coming up.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    burner27 wrote: »
    Congrats!! One question though. Where the heck do you find the time? Does your job allow you to study while you're working?

I've been out of work for quite a while now; since September 09' actually. I'm starting up my second degree in fall but I've had tons of free time in between. I studied hardcore for five exams simultaneously back in October 09' all the way up until January 10' and made sure to take great notes/constantly review. After this last spring semester of Cisco and A+ courses, I just went back to the notes, ran some practice tests, bought any extra reading material I needed to become affluent with topics I just wasn't getting and I've seen nothing but success so far :).

The average study day for me is around 4 to 5 hours depending on the exam and how close I am to the exam. Naturally, Saturdays are my party days haha. I usually schedule exams only after I can give detailed explanations of each of the objectives for the test.
  • burner27burner27 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been out of work for quite a while now; since September 09' actually. I'm starting up my second degree in fall but I've had tons of free time in between. I studied hardcore for five exams simultaneously back in October 09' all the way up until January 10' and made sure to take great notes/constantly review. After this last spring semester of Cisco and A+ courses, I just went back to the notes, ran some practice tests, bought any extra reading material I needed to become affluent with topics I just wasn't getting and I've seen nothing but success so far :).

The average study day for me is around 4 to 5 hours depending on the exam and how close I am to the exam. Naturally, Saturdays are my party days haha. I usually schedule exams only after I can give detailed explanations of each of the objectives for the test.

Ah. I am sorry if I offended you. I know the feeling man. I have been laid off 2x in the last 1.5 years. Started back in December of '08. icon_sad.gif
    burner27 wrote: »
    Ah. I am sorry if I offended you. I know the feeling man. I have been laid off 2x in the last 1.5 years. Started back in December of '08. icon_sad.gif

I'm never offended icon_lol.gif. Sorry to hear that for you too man.
    Devilsbane wrote: »

I have used Transcender for 5 tests in the past. I passed them all on the first time. Transcender might not have been identical to the test, but it did get me thinking in the right direction. The best part of software is the part where you can provide feedback. If you disagree with a question, or are still unsure why an answer is the answer (they do give you a detailed feed back of why the correct answer is right, and why the others are wrong) you can send feedback. They will then get back to you and give you the reason why they aren't changing it, or to let you know that they are going to change the question.

I actually only paid $200: Certification Exam Vouchers Hot Deals at GetCertify4Less.com

You should check them out for your next cert.
    Also why pay $89 when I can get the exact same thing for $49. Self test was the same in every way down to the exact wording and flash cards just way cheaper so why blow money when I can use it for something else. Check out self test next time as well and save money for more books or lab equip.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz! Good luck with ICND2.
    I actually only paid $200: Certification Exam Vouchers Hot Deals at GetCertify4Less.com

You should check them out for your next cert.
    Also why pay $89 when I can get the exact same thing for $49. Self test was the same in every way down to the exact wording and flash cards just way cheaper so why blow money when I can use it for something else. Check out self test next time as well and save money for more books or lab equip.

To be quite honest, for my net+ I got the full transcender for $70 and my voucher was $120 or something like that. My school was a registered pearson vue test center.

A+ I got both transcenders for $70 and the vouchers for $74 a piece.

I intended on getting my security+ voucher while my school was a test center but I didn't have the money and I think it expired now.