Bill Gates take on life

skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world doesn't care about your
self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up,it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
Goals for '11
MCITP: EA
ITIL
CCNA

Studying:
MS press book 70-680

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can change the title on this, it wasn't recent. This was going around when I was in middle school which was nearly 10 years ago. Rule number 3 gives that away, who has a car phone?

Good things though.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This has been out for a while.

Hey, this is the age of entitlement; where you get paid for doing nothing. It just won't be so fun when America hits rock bottom, then we become Greece.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    exampasser wrote: »
    This has been out for a while.

Hey, this is the age of entitlement; where you get paid for doing nothing. It just won't be so fun when America hits rock bottom, then we become Greece.

Yeah the tripling and doubling of the national debt with every President since Reagan, the day of reckoning is upon us very soon. At least when Clinton left office the debt was back to the same as when he took office.

I work in the defense industry and I know eventually the gravy train is going to stop and I am preparing for it.

I kind of figure the worlds leaders will get together and say "lets just start over" lol
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This may be old, but those definitely are some good rules to go by. You shouldn't be given something for nothing. An if by chance you do, then give more back then you took.
    tiersten wrote: »

haha That is really funny.
    I've always used snopes.com for my fact or myth. They concur that this is false.

snopes.com: Some Rules Kids Won't Learn in School

They provide a better story, and also include numbers 12-14 that are not included in "Bill Gates'" version. It is also dated at 2000, so yes it is old.
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Nevertheless, I do agree with the premise that the current education system has set up a generation of our children for failure. Political correctness has to be done away with.
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
    Selfmade wrote: »
    Nevertheless, I do agree with the premise that the current education system has set up a generation of our children for failure. Political correctness has to be done away with.

This was 10 years ago. You know what that means? All of those little brats are coming up for graduation. They are entering society now, scary stuff. But it is even worse now, can't imagine the trouble we'll be seeing in 2020.
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    This was 10 years ago. You know what that means? All of those little brats are coming up for graduation. They are entering society now, scary stuff. But it is even worse now, can't imagine the trouble we'll be seeing in 2020.

Probably an uptick in demand for people in the current age range of 25-30 to fill jobs because the classes of 2010-2020 aren't emotionally or mentally mature enough to handle adult responsibilities icon_cry.gif
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
    Meh it was the same thing 10-20 years ago. During the .com boom people with barely any IT experience thought the world owed them something.
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    It may be an old old topic, but it's still revelant today which is pretty scary.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    :)If you screw up in school you will screw up in life

is this true? or false?

or if you screw up in your I.T certifications and if you failed to get certified you screw up in life LOL which one is correct:)
    I know people that screwed up in school, but the don't always screw up in life. Sometimes people grow up and get their head on right.

But usually they don't...
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jimmy John's has these bullet points on one of their signs inside the store.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    May not be Bill Gates who wrote it, but it rings true. Kids these days make me sick, I'm tired of the self entitlement attitude I keep running into. But alas, someone has always been able to say it better than I:

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -Mark Twain
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
    Selfmade wrote: »
    Probably an uptick in demand for people in the current age range of 25-30 to fill jobs because the classes of 2010-2020 aren't emotionally or mentally mature enough to handle adult responsibilities icon_cry.gif

/cry /cutwrist

All better.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You people hating on the upcoming generation need to take a sharp look in the mirror and realize that the generation before you were saying the same things when you were young. I know more aged adults that feel entitled than younger adults.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    You people hating on the upcoming generation need to take a sharp look in the mirror and realize that the generation before you were saying the same things when you were young. I know more aged adults that feel entitled than younger adults.

Every generation at some point foresees the end of civilization in their youth.

Socrates said : "Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Jonathan Swift, who wrote Gulliver's Travels, lamented the use of contractions such as "I'm" and "You're" by the youth of his time (even though he regularly used 'tis) and was sure it would be the death of the English language.

I say it just goes to show you one important thing that you should learn in school: it is nearly impossible to be objective about the opinions and choices you make unless you make a concerted effort to be objective about them and even then you will fail regularly. I guess if children seem entitled they had to learn it some place. I personally see little difference in the attitudes of most groups of people accross generations. I know as many entitled whiners who are in their 30s or up as I do in their late teens or 20s.
    I know as many entitled whiners who are in their 30s or up as I do in their late teens or 20s.

And several have the name Robert...
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    one thing that we can all agree is that the standards are a little lower, even by my parents i'll have to bring all A's other wise there was going to be an axx beating lol, kids now days get away with almost everything but like one of the rules said that we cant blaim any one for our failures right!?
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Paul Boz wrote: »

Fair enough, but could they at least pull up their pants and not address me as dude?
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    And several have the name Robert...
    No, actually just one. icon_wink.gif

One of my friends was recently promoted to the directory of out patient care for the Mental Health center that she works for. No, she isn't my therapist. But she actually had someone who is now and was at the time under her say to her face in a meeting that she could not believe that she was passed over for the position so that it could be given to a kid (meaning my friend who is 29). This person was in her 50s. I mean give me a break...
    There has always been a steady loss of respect. My dad always said that his job was to make my life easier than his, and his dad tried to do the same for him. So I know this is nothing new.

That being said, I am actually worried about my generation and below. It seems like everyone is losing their self discipline. I used to work retail, and the things that customers would say is appalling. Do I don't need to be greated with sir, but if you expect me to follow you around the store as your personal assistant while pushing your card, then you are crazy. Show at least some respect.
    I really am not worried too much. I thought I read somewhere that teens today commit far less crime than in the past. Every generation has what some might call "slackers" you had the hippies at Woodstock, the 80's had phrases like "Narly Dude" I think I spelled narly right lol. And it's no different today.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    No, actually just one. icon_wink.gif

One of my friends was recently promoted to the directory of out patient care for the Mental Health center that she works for. No, she isn't my therapist. But she actually had someone who is now and was at the time under her say to her face in a meeting that she could not believe that she was passed over for the position so that it could be given to a kid (meaning my friend who is 29). This person was in her 50s. I mean give me a break...

...and if I was your friend, I would have told her that her attitude and response was specifically why she did NOT get the job.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed