Help me choose please...3 options..

R000TR000T Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have the following options available right now apropos linux training.

I am from an Industrial Eng background and am making a career change. Have limited experience with IT. Know a bit of C++, Linux, fundamentals of networking, H/W etc...Mostly self taught knowledge reading up.

So now, I have the option to;

1) Attend a RHCT bootcamp ($4500) in 3 weeks time.
2) A LPIC-1 bootcamp (3500) in 3 weeks time.
3) CBT learning along with books, internet, library etc., starting whenever I want to.

One way or the other, I have till the end of July to complete my learning. I plan to eat, sleep linux for the next 40 days...However, am unable to decide the best route. I also just started my Trainsignal CCNA traning and will be devoting part of my time in a day for that as well.

I am gonna be paying for this myself so financially, it would be a little stretch with RHCT but would be comfortable with LPIC. But if its worth it, I can afford it.

Would appreciate your advice in helping me choose. Thanks again.

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Either option 2 or 3. I believe the Red Hat cert is for people who are highly experienced with Linux.

If you're more of a self-study guy, option 3 would honestly be the best; you could get materials for probably LPIC-1, 2, and even 3 without coming close to $3000 (depending on who you choose).
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    With all the information online and the small expense of a few of the better vendor texts...I'd be real hesitant to go with Opt1 or Opt2. For me, the only choice is option 3.

Can you find any other solutions in your community to learn the material? Are there any Linux groups? You could self-study and learn with local peers rather then $3K.

Perhaps, try some self-study for 6 months, see where that gets you and then invest in Opt 2? You may find you get more from the course because you have a basic understanding...then the course might clarify some areas you thought you knew, but weren't 100% understanding.

My 5 cents. icon_study.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    With all the information online and the small expense of a few of the better vendor texts...I'd be real hesitant to go with Opt1 or Opt2. For me, the only choice is option 3.

Can you find any other solutions in your community to learn the material? Are there any Linux groups? You could self-study and learn with local peers rather then $3K.

Perhaps, try some self-study for 6 months, see where that gets you and then invest in Opt 2? You may find you get more from the course because you have a basic understanding...then the course might clarify some areas you thought you knew, but weren't 100% understanding.

My 5 cents. icon_study.gif

Just saw you have 4 weeks to master this...hmmm...Opt 2 may be the option then. Shucks! icon_sad.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • R000TR000T Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply.

I actually have an opposite impression. That one would require significant experience before attempting a LPI-1 bootcamp. RHCT bootcamp on the other hand starts off from scratch. (course 033 basics and course 133 more detailed - @ Unitek which is the only Red Hat training partner). RHCE on the other hand requires one to have serious knowledge and experience even before contemplating a bootcamp.

Again, thats only my impression. PLease let me know if thats incorrect. I will gladly join the LPI-1 bootcamp if it does not require significant experience and can be attempted by newbies.

Right now, I am leaning towards LPI as its;
    1) Vender neutral
    2) Can get dual certified (passing LPI-1 will also fetch Novel CLA)
    3) Cheaper

But will certainly pay the extra 1000 for RHCT if its more "valuable"

Was also wondering, which (LPI or RHCT) are more in depth and thorough in terms of gaining knowledge?

Thanks again for the help.
  • R000TR000T Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ah! Just saw your replies after I posted mine! Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I have around 4 weeks. I am thinking option-2 as well. But am trying to make the best decision with my money and really want to be sure before I eliminate option1.