MCSA Elective: Network+ or Security+?

smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok I've decided to take one of these exams to get my MCSA finished. I can't decide which one to go with though. I was seriously considering Security+ until I saw the passing score. If I understand it correctly, the passing score for Security+ is 750 and the passing score for Network+ is 554, right? That's a pretty big difference! Which one should I do?

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N+ should be easier since you have done the 291. I dont think just the S+ would get you the MCSA, I know people on these forums have been getting the MCSE:S if they pass the S+ and a security elective.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    I dont think just the S+ would get you the MCSA.

It will.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, how much easier is the Network+? I mean, just considering the material itself. I really need to pass this next test on the first attempt.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you were able to pass 70-291 Net+ should be easy. About all you really need to study that's new is the mediums (lengths and speeds)and ports, other than that it'll be review.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It will.

I concur.

I already have A+ and Net+ for the MCSA, but I also want to get the security+ before years end. It is a pretty good cert, and I want to have it for life. So I would say both.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do Security+. You're going to do a CCNA anyway, so why bother with the Network+. Right? ;)
  • smg1138smg1138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Do Security+. You're going to do a CCNA anyway, so why bother with the Network+. Right? ;)

I'm definitely leaning in that direction. Especially since I just received Darril Gibson's Security+ book today. I was actually planning to go for the CCENT next, so I guess Network+ might be kind of redundant.
    smg1138 wrote: »
    I'm definitely leaning in that direction. Especially since I just received Darril Gibson's Security+ book today. I was actually planning to go for the CCENT next, so I guess Network+ might be kind of redundant.

Redundant, maybe a little. But it will also help you start switching those gears into network mode. Nothing to lose by getting an extra cert.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Nothing to lose by getting an extra cert.

Except $225 ;)

The CCENT is more-or-less the same content as the Network+ with some Cisco-centric material.

I'm not ragging on the Network+ or anyone that has one, but I can't say that there is much value in having both.
    To me spending $225 on a cert is nothing. Considering that I am going to work 40 hours a week for 52 weeks a year, as long as the Net+ would raise your hourly wage 10.8 cents, it pays for itself in one year.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    as long as the Net+ would raise your hourly wage 10.8 cents

Would it though? Even if you already had a certification that encompassed nearly identical material?