SWITCH foundation book delayed.

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
Got this email just now. A shame, I've been waiting forever for this book.

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're writing about the order you placed on May 20 2010. Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below has changed, and we need to provide you with a new delivery estimate based on the new release date:

Richard Froom, et al "Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (SWITCH) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for SWITCH 642-813 (Self-Study Guide)"
Estimated arrival date: July 09 2010 - July 13 2010

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

Comments

• *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Weird, Cisco press says mine shipped and will be here Friday according to the tracking number.
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When did you order it? The reason I ask is I ordered mine on Jun 15th and it also says it shipped on the 22nd.

Edit: That was eerie, got a knock on the door as I was typing this, it was the book.

Did you order it through Cisco Press or a 3rd party? Anyway, if you fell between the cracks, I would get them on the horn and start putting some pressure. Maybe get them to give you a PDF version for free. *chuckle*

That is why I spent the extra on the PDF as well. I usually hate DRM's (though I can get around them), but I just don't have the time to wait on its delivery.

By the way, big difference between the Official Cert Guide and the Foundations book. I am only up to chapter 4 so far (7 chapters), but there is far more depth in it as well as some "additional" concepts to which isn't discussed in the cert guide such as flex lines and the like. The details are very good though as he maps out examples right in line with concepts and also segregates configuration into nice step based chunks. Also, there is a lot more depth in troubleshooting alternatives and approaches not covered in the Cert guide as well as more detail into best practices and the pro's and con's to various implementations. All and all, the book is very good in my opinion.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    He probably ordered through Amazon which is much cheaper ($45 vs $70).
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    tanix wrote: »
    By the way, big difference between the Official Cert Guide and the Foundations book.

always seems to be the case. i'm excited to get away from the ROUTE cert guide soon.
    WIP: IPS exam
    DPG wrote: »
    He probably ordered through Amazon which is much cheaper ($45 vs $70).

Well, that would certainly explain it. It was cheaper to go the route I went due to the need for an immediate (digital) copy. Not by much, but still a bit cheaper.
    always seems to be the case. i'm excited to get away from the ROUTE cert guide soon.

That's next on my plate, I am just finishing up the foundation book and then prepping for the SWITCH exam.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Well I ordered it through Amazon, it looks like my order fell through the cracks. I ordered it back in May!

You know, I was just trying to do the right thing and get some books ready so when they are available they will just be delivered.

I almost never pre-order things as there's nothing that I ever really want that I can't wait for...

Seems like this is the first and last time I'll pre-order anything ever again!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!!
    So strange, now look at this new email I just got.

Hello from Amazon.com.

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on May 20 2010 . The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

Richard Froom, et al "Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks (SWITCH) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for SWITCH 642-813 (Self-Study Guide)"
    Previous estimated arrival date: July 09 2010 - July 13 2010
    New estimated arrival date: July 01 2010 - July 02 2010
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I really not sure if I want to get this book or not... I can't think it will teach me much, but with the cert guide missing stuff I think may be I should look over it?

First going to watch the videos in the cert pack before I decide to get it, want to take this in JULY followed by the ROUTE in Augest (been studying route quite a lot while holding baby at night :) )
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I really not sure if I want to get this book or not... I can't think it will teach me much, but with the cert guide missing stuff I think may be I should look over it?

First going to watch the videos in the cert pack before I decide to get it, want to take this in JULY followed by the ROUTE in Augest (been studying route quite a lot while holding baby at night :) )

I missed my mark for taking the SWITCH exam in June. I guess life just happens. There is no excuse, I should have taken the exam by now.

So like you, it will have to be July for me as well.

I've heard the ROUTE being tougher so I'm not sure how much time it's going to take to be prepared. You think 1 month is enough? It is if you can spend the majority of the day studying and weekends too....
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□

I've heard the ROUTE being tougher so I'm not sure how much time it's going to take to be prepared. You think 1 month is enough? It is if you can spend the majority of the day studying and weekends too....

Over the last 2 months I have been going through the BCSI cbt nuggets, and I have a design project using EIGRP/OSPF at work. So have had a lot of time "labing" them.

so hoping that once I get the foundation guide, I will be able to go through it quite quick. But no firm plans. As always daughter has to come first. But I really want the CCNP out of the way by the autum as I really really want to get on with some CCSP topics. Now I have ASA working in GNS3 i wanna play!!) deffently going security after I finish CCNP.

most of the CCNP I have experince in so should not be to hard, but CCSP will be a whole new game :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Over the last 2 months I have been going through the BCSI cbt nuggets, and I have a design project using EIGRP/OSPF at work. So have had a lot of time "labing" them.

so hoping that once I get the foundation guide, I will be able to go through it quite quick. But no firm plans. As always daughter has to come first. But I really want the CCNP out of the way by the autum as I really really want to get on with some CCSP topics. Now I have ASA working in GNS3 i wanna play!!) deffently going security after I finish CCNP.

most of the CCNP I have experince in so should not be to hard, but CCSP will be a whole new game :)

Perfect timing, I just got an email from Amazon a couple minutes ago saying my SWITCH book has just shipped.

Have you played with ASA on GNS3 yet? Was it easy to configure?
    It has finally arrived!!!!!

Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter

nice! i'm still waiting for the ROUTE book.....
    nice! i'm still waiting for the ROUTE book.....

Did you preorder it? When does that come out?
    Did you preorder it? When does that come out?

amazon says "july 8th" but that could mean today, tomorrow or next month (probably july 8th though).
    amazon says "july 8th" but that could mean today, tomorrow or next month (probably july 8th though).

Funny, first they said my book was delayed, then revised it and now I got it earlier than the estimated arrival date.

I bet you'll get your book next week......
    Funny, first they said my book was delayed, then revised it and now I got it earlier than the estimated arrival date.

happens to me all the time with amazon. last order i placed with them they said it would take 4 - 5 business days to show up. low and behold it was there the very next day.
    happens to me all the time with amazon. last order i placed with them they said it would take 4 - 5 business days to show up. low and behold it was there the very next day.

LOL I guess I can't complain about that shipping. Amazon has been pretty good to me and I've saved quite a bit with them compared to going to BN and paying full price at the store.

I just really hate waiting......I'm so impatient.....

Are you just starting out on the CCNP track? What's your status....
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I received the SWITCH and TSHOOT foundation books today from Amazon - Got an update email stating that ROUTE book ETA was changed to July 13-15th.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    LOL I guess I can't complain about that shipping. Amazon has been pretty good to me and I've saved quite a bit with them compared to going to BN and paying full price at the store.

I just really hate waiting......I'm so impatient.....

Are you just starting out on the CCNP track? What's your status....
    agreed, as impatient as i am the cost savings over B&N or books-a-million is huge. i can't pass that up.

i started seriously studying a few weeks ago. currently using the ROUTE cert guide, bsci cbt nuggets, and tcp/ip volume 1 2nd edition. i can definitely tell the cert guide is lacking in the details (like all the other cert guides it seems) so i will be very excited to see the other book released. definitely looks like a monster exam though even with is-is cut out. i did some bsci studying in the past so the concepts are coming to me fairly quickly so my main focus is the lab time and really nailing down the knowledge that way. hoping to knock it out within a month or two.
    pitviper wrote: »
    I received the SWITCH and TSHOOT foundation books today from Amazon - Got an update email stating that ROUTE book ETA was changed to July 13-15th.

I should have just ordered TSHOOT and ROUTE too while I was at it. This is actually the first pre-order I've ever done so I wanted to test the waters. I do not think I can breeze through TSHOOT and ROUTE like I did with SWITCH.

agreed, as impatient as i am the cost savings over B&N or books-a-million is huge. i can't pass that up.

i started seriously studying a few weeks ago. currently using the ROUTE cert guide, bsci cbt nuggets, and tcp/ip volume 1 2nd edition. i can definitely tell the cert guide is lacking in the details (like all the other cert guides it seems) so i will be very excited to see the other book released. definitely looks like a monster exam though even with is-is cut out. i did some bsci studying in the past so the concepts are coming to me fairly quickly so my main focus is the lab time and really nailing down the knowledge that way. hoping to knock it out within a month or two.

If you're reading TCP/IP vol 1 that's pretty good. I had the old book by Jeff Doyle his first edition. I think when you read tougher books, then it's a little easier when studying for CCNP or even CCNA topics.

I agree though ROUTE seems like a beast so I better be careful with it. Seems like you're pretty familiar with it though, a nice read through ROUTE should reinforce everything you've read up to this point...
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    Once you're done with ROUTE and SWITCH you should be able to breeze through TSHOOT with relative ease. Just get some lab time in with the TSHOOT topology and review some of your weaker areas and you'll be good. I waited a week between BCMSN and TSHOOT and that time frame felt about right.

If you have production network experience under your belt the TSHOOT shouldn't give you too much of a problem.
    Once you're done with ROUTE and SWITCH you should be able to breeze through TSHOOT with relative ease. Just get some lab time in with the TSHOOT topology and review some of your weaker areas and you'll be good. I waited a week between BCMSN and TSHOOT and that time frame felt about right.

If you have production network experience under your belt the TSHOOT shouldn't give you too much of a problem.

Thanks for the 411, good to know. I've fallen behind in the SWITCH so I must get it out of the way at this point.

I already know what my weaker areas are and that's OSPF and EIGRP. I just don't work with them enough to know the ins and outs of them naturally.

I've been meaning to check out your blog so I'll check it out now...
  • *BB**BB* Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got my SWITCH book on Monday. I like it so far. Only read through ch2 so far. just been to busy to put in some consistent time
    Procrastinator extraordinaire
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I browsed through the ROUTE book yesterday at the Cisco Press store @ Networkers yesterday. It looks like an alright book, I don't know if I will buy it however. Routing vol 1 is pretty complete, and I know most of the extra stuff pretty well.
    I think when you read tougher books, then it's a little easier when studying for CCNP or even CCNA topics.

i find that a lot of the time it also makes the bigger picture a lot clearer for me.
    i find that a lot of the time it also makes the bigger picture a lot clearer for me.

Agreed, you read the CCNA or CCNP stuff and think, "That's it?"

But I'm not complaining!!

*chuckle*

Yeah, when I was teaching myself C++ way back when, I picked up an advanced data structures book and it was like reading Greek. I went over and over it slowly learning things. It was frustrating and I thought I hadn't learned anything in it because of it. I decided to pick up an introduction to C++ book and everything they were teaching was beyond basic and simple. It made me realize I learned a heck of a lot more than I thought from the book and had a much bigger picture of the language as a whole.
    Agreed, you read the CCNA or CCNP stuff and think, "That's it?"

But I'm not complaining!!

Have you been reading the switch foundations much yet? I am on the last chapter and while a lot of it was repeat from the official cert book, there was a lot more topics in it that weren't covered clearly in the official cert.

For me, most of the concepts are simple and straight forward, I just haven't burned them in yet to be able to run through scenarios in my head concerning conflicts, configuration issues, and concept application. Also, lacking any devices to practice with some of the newer features has made remembering commands a bit more difficult.

Its ok though, due to that lacking, its making me break down the concepts to the lowest level. I usually sit at the white board mapping out how traffic flows, what is evaluated at each hop, its transition and how configuration changes will effect it. In the end, it may make my practical troubleshooting skills much stronger. Time will tell.