High vs. Low port density

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
Hey fellas:

Maybe I'm bad at google searching, but I tried to find some really good docs on what high port and low port density really means. It seems to be related more to switches.

Is it just a fancy name for "a lot of ports on a switch"??

I'd like to get a more descriptive meaning of what these marketing folks are throwing around out there when describing their switches.

Also, is it only for switches or routers too?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Is it just a fancy name for "a lot of ports on a switch"??

Pretty much. If you have a switch with 70 ports, and you need 120 ports, you're looking for more port density.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    ColbyG wrote: »
    Pretty much. If you have a switch with 70 ports, and you need 120 ports, you're looking for more port density.

Gotchya, so it would be an oxymoron if someone described an 8port switch as high density?

LOL....
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Gotchya, so it would be an oxymoron if someone described an 8port switch as high density?

LOL....

Unless they were comparing it to say, a 4 port switch. The port density is just the amount of ports.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Unless they were comparing it to say, a 4 port switch. The port density is just the amount of ports.

I guess it's always based on POV eh?

Funny though how terms get thrown around until you actually have to ask to make sure?

I wonder if, in an interview, this would stump anyone? Especially a newbie.....

One might try to BS and think that a high density port is a 1GIG port and a low density is just 10meg port! You never know!!!
  • NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    I guess it's always based on POV eh?

Only if you're talking to someone from marketing.

There are limits to port density though. 48 RJ45s + fiber uplinks is about all you're going to fit on a 1U switch. Access layer switches are about the only time you talk about port density in my experience.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    It starts to matter less and less when you deploy stack capable switches like the 3750, or Dell's offerings.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    in general you find the cost of a net work device depends on three things. Port density, features, speed. the more you have of each the higher the cost. the less the cheaper. so access switch you want high port density, low features, low speed (100 mb). a core server switch how ever may want high speed(10gb) low feature and medium port density. where as a central router may need high feature, high speed but a low port density. but generaly when you design a network it is these three thing you ahould be looking at to make sure they meet the requirment.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    in general you find the cost of a net work device depends on three things. Port density, features, speed. the more you have of each the higher the cost. the less the cheaper. so access switch you want high port density, low features, low speed (100 mb). a core server switch how ever may want high speed(10gb) low feature and medium port density. where as a central router may need high feature, high speed but a low port density. but generaly when you design a network it is these three thing you ahould be looking at to make sure they meet the requirment.

Interesting take.....is this based on experience or something in the CCDA/CCDP guides? This almost seems more design/architect oriented....

As well as cost of course....
    Interesting take.....is this based on experience or something in the CCDA/CCDP guides? This almost seems more design/architect oriented....

As well as cost of course....

Just on experience :) And some of the design stuff in the CCNP SWITCH (sizing the switch Block) where it talks about access switches requiring high port density. While Core Switchs require high through put, and Distribution switches are where the main routing takes place so high in in features. In fact high in features may also be needed in the core.

Some one did mention it is not as important with stackable switches, but this is not strictly true. While in a small organisation a two 24port vs one 48 ports may seem to be little different.

In very large places you may have 1500 users in a single building. all going back to a single network closet. the difference between using a stack of 1u 48 switchs vs 1u 24ports could be the difference between a whole rack of equipment (equipment you have to power and 2 X 24 will be almost double that of a single 48 port.)

and in terms of the big boys 6500/4500 you may have hundreds of distribution switches to connect, here you may chose to use low density blades (say 12 ports of 10gb) for the big switch blocks, but have another 48port or 1gb links for some small blocks.

Generally people think of high port density's as having more ports but less features, and speed, such as for an access switch. However if you have the money I am sure CISCO will sell you a 48 port 10gb switch with all the features. but boys its going to cost you..
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Just on experience :) And some of the design stuff in the CCNP SWITCH (sizing the switch Block) where it talks about access switches requiring high port density. While Core Switchs require high through put, and Distribution switches are where the main routing takes place so high in in features. In fact high in features may also be needed in the core.

Some one did mention it is not as important with stackable switches, but this is not strictly true. While in a small organisation a two 24port vs one 48 ports may seem to be little different.

In very large places you may have 1500 users in a single building. all going back to a single network closet. the difference between using a stack of 1u 48 switchs vs 1u 24ports could be the difference between a whole rack of equipment (equipment you have to power and 2 X 24 will be almost double that of a single 48 port.)

and in terms of the big boys 6500/4500 you may have hundreds of distribution switches to connect, here you may chose to use low density blades (say 12 ports of 10gb) for the big switch blocks, but have another 48port or 1gb links for some small blocks.

Generally people think of high port density's as having more ports but less features, and speed, such as for an access switch. However if you have the money I am sure CISCO will sell you a 48 port 10gb switch with all the features. but boys its going to cost you..

Nice answer! Clearly you've been reading. I remember that as well from the switch book. At least what you mentioned in the first paragraph. I wish someone could have made a side remark in the book that port density pretty much means how many you have. I know that sounds silly to ask for but I wasn't sure myself....

I really really want to get my hands on 3750 switches, at least 3 of them so I can stack them up and play with the stackwise protocol/engine.

Another benefit I believe to having a 1U 48 port switch VS two units of 24 ports, is not only does it take less space but also the switching speeds. Even if the backplane switching is say 16GB, all 48 ports can have access to that.

Whereas if you daisy chained two 24 port switches, the second switch is stuck with whatever trunk link speeds you've created...
    three 3750's !! I hope you are rich!

to be honest theres nothing to play with, its all plug and play. you connect the stack cables and power it on, as long as IOS match it add its self to the stack and thats it..

theres one or two commands to use but really its not worth the extra money for that..

PRVT vlans on the other hand that is user full, but a 3650 will do jsut as well and a lot lot cheaper.

in my view stacking is pretty boreing stuff, yes a very helpfull and cool technology, but nothing really to learn.
    three 3750's !! I hope you are rich!

to be honest theres nothing to play with, its all plug and play. you connect the stack cables and power it on, as long as IOS match it add its self to the stack and thats it..

theres one or two commands to use but really its not worth the extra money for that..

PRVT vlans on the other hand that is user full, but a 3650 will do jsut as well and a lot lot cheaper.

in my view stacking is pretty boreing stuff, yes a very helpfull and cool technology, but nothing really to learn.

Oh no, I don't want to buy this stuff, I just want to play with it! LOL....

You're right these babies are damn expensive. The 3750's use the stackwise cables and from what I've read, is basically a dual ring configuration. I think it's pretty interesting that the design is token ring.

Just something else that I'd like to experience that's all. One day, these things will go for $100 on eBay.

Unfortunately by then, you new born is going to be ready for college!!!!