What kind of job to get with no experience at all

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have graduated about a year ago, at devry university with my BS in technical management, and my track was in computer networking. From the time I finished untill now, I have not gained any experience not even one bit because I could not afford to get any internship from school while I had a full time job and being a full time husband and dad. However I managed to finish with honors at the end.

I plan on studying for my A+ just to get my foot in the door? Will that help me get my big break since I have a degree? What kind of job can I expect to get?

Comments

• rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    keeranbri wrote: »
    What kind of job can I expect to get?

You may be able to land a job doing phone technical support or possibly level 1 help desk. I started out as Technical Support for an ISP and that served as a base to move in to Help Desk and eventually System Administration. While your options may be limited, try and find something that will teach you skills that will benefit you as you move up. Also with the limited options caveat, landing a job that values and provides training will benefit you in a large way.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I plan on studying for my A+ just to get my foot in the door? Will that help me get my big break since I have a degree? What kind of job can I expect to get?

That should break you in the door or a help desk role. Or you could be looking at working at a pc repair shop. You won't be raking money in hand over fist, but $10-$15 is a pretty respectable income. Stick it out there for awhile, and then you can move up.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think casting a large net when seeking your first job is important. There are a lot of organizations out there that are willing to give entry level guys a shot. Recruiters are also a great avenue because they post a lot of help desk related jobs.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm in your same boat, jobs that I've been seeing lately that I at least qualify for an interview with pay around $15-$17 an hour. Just had an interview this morning for a help desk position that pays 32K a year, that's about what you can expect. Keep in mind I also don't have any sort of degree, so your degree presumably should put you in the higher range of expected pay, especially if you pad it with certs.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Tato500Tato500 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same here, I have some good experience with computers and networks, but I got all of that on my own with no Certs, then after I moved to US i got A+, N+ and CIW Associates but i never been worked before at help desk never know the rules. so I was wondering if I got a help desk position they will train me,or what? I heard about help desk course does it will help?
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to use your thread but since we are all in same boat so it might help.

Thanks
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    dont rule out military.
  • keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thanks guys for your support...I didn't know that there was so much people in my same shoes as I am. I forgot to mention that right now I do work in a call center, but not doing any IT or help desk, but doing collections, so I am on the phone constantly throughout the day taking inbound and outbound calls.

I make close to 32k a month..which is only my hourly pay..plus my commission I make everymonth, which is an extra $300-$1000.00 a month almost..but the thing is..that is not my field and I do not want to see my self collecting debt from company's all my life.

I am sure I'm going to miss the commission, once I probably get a help desk job..but I'm sure I will be making around the same amount.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    thanks guys for your support...I didn't know that there was so much people in my same shoes as I am. I forgot to mention that right now I do work in a call center, but not doing any IT or help desk, but doing collections, so I am on the phone constantly throughout the day taking inbound and outbound calls.

I make close to 32k a month..which is only my hourly pay..plus my commission I make everymonth, which is an extra $300-$1000.00 a month almost..but the thing is..that is not my field and I do not want to see my self collecting debt from company's all my life.

I am sure I'm going to miss the commission, once I probably get a help desk job..but I'm sure I will be making around the same amount.

icon_scratch.gif

You make 32K a month ??

Crap, I did collections (corporation not consumer debt 20+ years ago and never made that kind of coin!!)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yup..plantwiz..I do corporation collections as well and doing it for 3 yrs now. I make just a tiny bit under 32k and make 38k annually with commission. why..you think that is on the high side?

How much did you make at that time? that was 20 yrs ago..that's why? The minimum wage was probably so low also
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

At that rate you could retire after 5 years.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Tato500Tato500 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think he means 32k annually.