Do you hang your certs at work?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just wondering what your thoughts are about hanging your certifications in your office/cube

Part of me thinks it looks cheesy and it's kind of bragging the other part of me thinks it looks classy and it's acceptable.

Opinions?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There have been a few similar threads on this topic if you want to search. For me, I would only hang something that is high level like the CCIE. I wouldn't hang up something like an A+ or even my CCNP though. Thats kind of like hanging your GED on your cube wall.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it depends on the role. I am working on a service desk and I think it would look dumb/bragging for me to bring all of my certifications in. If I was a systems administrator, then bringing in an MCSE or something might be a good reminder to everyone that you are for real.

As long as you kept it small, 1-2 certs should be alright. If you have a dozen frames in your cube, then you are going to look like an @**.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I think it depends on the role. I am working on a service desk and I think it would look dumb/bragging for me to bring all of my certifications in. If I was a systems administrator, then bringing in an MCSE or something might be a good reminder to everyone that you are for real.

As long as you kept it small, 1-2 certs should be alright. If you have a dozen frames in your cube, then you are going to look like an @**.

icon_lol.gif

hiliarous

I have 3 icon_lol.gif I just missed your criteria!
    I should of figured, I will do query on this topic. Thanks for the awareness
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What I do want to do is get like a pen or some other office junk to stick on my desk. Looks good and will serve an actual purpose.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    What I do want to do is get like a pen or some other office junk to stick on my desk. Looks good and will serve an actual purpose.

icon_thumright.gificon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

Mine just came down
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Definitely cheesy.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think it would be alright to show off some certs that you've earned. It could be a great topic starter to someone that didn't know you hold the certifications.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nope dont hang mine at work or at home.

However i would never compare a CCNP to a GED icon_rolleyes.gif

One can get you a job earning 50k - 70k the other can get you a job a McDonalds.....
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, although now I have the urge to display my I-Net+. It makes me feel like I am in a exclusive group that no one else can get into. :)
  • Warsh1pWarsh1p Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Witty motivational posters are more appropriate... icon_rolleyes.gif

Personally I wouldn't hang up anything but a college diploma at the office.
    But if you must hang up your certifications at the office I would put them all in one frame with your more recent (or 'prestigious') one on top. I find certifications to be more of a home office decor.
    #Current Studies#
    || B.S. in Management Information Systems
    || MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit: Configuring Microsoft Windows 7
    || Element K Windows 7 Configuration Courses
    || Transcender: MCTS Windows 7 Practice Exam

#Certification Path#
    || August 2010: MCTS Win 7 Config (70-680)
    || November 2010: CompTIA Network+ (N10-004)
    || February 2011: CompTIA Project+ (PK0-003)
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I don't do it myself and dont think I would. In my last permie job I took all my tech books (70+) in and put them in the bookshelf in my office, that got some conversations going when people asked if I had read them all and I replied yes.

With certs I am torn, on the one hand it's good to be proud but on the other it is a bit cheese, I guess if I started somewhere and they all had their certs up I would join in, but I wouldn't start the trend.
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Never done it, never will do it. All of my certs and college degrees go straight from the shipping envelope to the safe never to see daylight again. I don't even look at them to remind me I worked for them. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • dorawedorawe Member Posts: 106
    phantasm wrote: »
    Never done it, never will do it. All of my certs and college degrees go straight from the shipping envelope to the safe never to see daylight again. I don't even look at them to remind me I worked for them. lol.

I'll take the original and file it away, but I'm going to get a copy of my CISSP framed, I worked my tail off to get it, and it's going up somewhere.....
    chrisone wrote: »
    nope dont hang mine at work or at home.

However i would never compare a CCNP to a GED icon_rolleyes.gif

One can get you a job earning 50k - 70k the other can get you a job a McDonalds.....

Bull. I had a job making over 50K with a GED and no CCNP. Its all about how you sell yourself my friend.
    you seem offended, i didn't mean to make fun of a GED.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    I'm not offended at all. You seem to be the one offended that I would put the GED inline with a CCNP. I have both and could care less with what you think of either. I just tend to call out BS when I see it.
    woah dude chill out, i was apologizing if i offended you. My first statement was based of a logical mean average salary for CCNP from an IT perspective. If you earned 50k with your GED outside of the IT industry that is great, and if you did thats a bonus. Relax man....
    chrisone wrote: »
    woah dude chill out, i was apologizing if i offended you. My first statement was based of a logical mean average salary for CCNP from an IT perspective. If you earned 50k with your GED outside of the IT industry that is great, and if you did thats a bonus. Relax man....

I think the communicating in type thing is sending the wrong message. I'm not upset at all about what you are saying. Just letting you know I think its BS. A CCNP or GED isn't going to guarantee you pay in any range. So statements like a GED will guarantee you a job at McDonalds and a CCNP will get you any kind of pay range is BS so I called it out. It doesn't upset me what so ever though. There are plenty people out there that believe things that I think are BS. You know what they say about opinions and a$$ holes.....
    I understand, i wont make this thread into a salary and opinions based topic. My statement was based off conducted survey and investigations from respectable sources. Not going to pull them out because like i said im not going that deep into that for this topic. My statement was from a logical proven theory from surveys driven in the IT industry. You calling it BS is an opinion.

To continue the thread, i would post up a CCNP if i had other professional level certs to hang up along with it like a CCDP CCSP CCNP SP, CCVP, etc.
    If you believe those salary surveys you are in more trouble than I thought icon_lol.gif

NOTE: The laughing smiley means joking.
    hahaha i see those surveys and usually they have a before and after yearly comparison i grab the two and figure its somewhere down the middle.

i know in the CCNP surverys they claim something like 80 to 90 k , we both know thats BS. We both know we need to bring more skills to the "table" especialy firewall/security, if we want to get paid that high. I get paid well i bring a lot to the "table" regardless if i dont have the certs to back it up, but soon the certs will follow to back it up more convincingly icon_thumright.gif Gosh its been a busy year and I am patiently waiting for the new CCNP Security track.

You have any goals in 2010 or 2011? or is life just to damn busy these days? icon_lol.gif
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I like to nail mine up in a coworker's cube. It just shows them how bad they suck at life and how hard I rock. icon_evil.gif
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
    Mine are back up.

Just kidding, but ITIL is very popular in my company so I might sneak that one back up. :)
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A coworker of mine puts them up just for spite. In fact he put copies of them framed in his cube, his coworkers cube, the NOC (in which ALL operations use); Quite funny actually.

If its any consolation, I put my Sexual Harassment Training Completion Certificate up in my cube icon_cool.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    snadam wrote: »
    I put my Sexual Harassment Training Completion Certificate up in my cube icon_cool.gif

icon_thumright.gif
    #Current Studies#

#Certification Path#
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »

I don't even go that far...I open the shipping envelope, look at the paper, stick it back in the envelope, and toss it on the second shelf of my desk at home...along with about a year's worth of bills that need to be filed still.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    bwcarty wrote: »
    I don't even go that far...I open the shipping envelope, look at the paper, stick it back in the envelope, and toss it on the second shelf of my desk at home...along with about a year's worth of bills that need to be filed still.

You are the coolest icon_rolleyes.gif
    #Current Studies#

#Certification Path#
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My former boss had his MCSE and Security+ up, and something else. I think it was very positive, looking at the Security+ motivated me to continue my studies, to his level. I need to email him...

I have my Certs in my Marine Corps promotion and awards folders... :o I'll have to look at getting some of them framed, probably Sec+ and surprisingly, maybe the CIW Associate, or I might wait for Security Professional/Analyst...
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends on the environment. I would never do it at my company. Doubt I would do it elsewhere... but if I were in a situation where appearances were more important than ability and results, I might would hang the more advanced certs.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
This discussion has been closed.