The most "shocking" interview that I ever had

tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
So, today I walked into an interview, and walked out with a Cisco 3550 switch in hand ... I am still shocked, Did anybody have similar experiences like this ?

The interview itself went well (I guess lol), I had conversations with both Vice President & Vice President Engineering. They are cool as hell. At the end, the Vice President Engineering (he is a CCIE) ended up giving me a cisco 3550 switch after I show him my home lab diagram.

Is this normal? They said they will get back to me in a week or two. What do you guys think?

btw: the job is 60% system + everything else (networking etc) field tech in case you want to know.

Thanks

Comments

• SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    that's bad ass

sounds like you might have gotten the job, or they just wanted to give you something, maybe they were feeling charitable, or a combination of both!
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's never happened to me and I haven't heard similar things happen to other people but thats cool!!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    WTH... I have never ever heard of anything like that happening. Guess they like you?

Does the switch work? or was it their clever way to get rid of a broken switch.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    that's new to me. never seen that happen before. I had an interview once where I had to fix a switch.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    skyline wrote: »
    WTH... I have never ever heard of anything like that happening. Guess they like you?

Does the switch work? or was it their clever way to get rid of a broken switch.

2q1cg93.png

I don't even need to run password recovery. Also, the Vice President Engineering offering me free IOS, any version he said.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tearofs wrote: »
    What do you guys think?
    You should take whatever you did on that interview and bottle it and sell it. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think maybe somebody saw something in you that they saw in themselves when they were younger?
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think maybe somebody saw something in you that they saw in themselves when they were younger?

Excellent point icon_thumright.gif
    One more thing to add, the interview last almost an hour.
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    HAHAHHAHA HAHAHAHAHHA AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH A HAHAHAH man that is so cool. What if you do not get the job will you return it? I reckon you got it!!!
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Okay I had something similiar happen to me about 5 years ago. I had a interview with my old boss. We had a interview for close to three hours. I had shown him what I had did with my home network and he had given me a desktop rack for my routers. I had not even started my CCNA studies I was still getting my MCSE up to date because I had let my Windows 2000 MCSE expire. I got the job the next day and lasted there for three years. I am still good friends with him too.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Okay I had something similiar happen to me about 5 years ago. I had a interview with my old boss. We had a interview for close to three hours. I had shown him what I had did with my home network and he had given me a desktop rack for my routers. I had not even started my CCNA studies I was still getting my MCSE up to date because I had let my Windows 2000 MCSE expire. I got the job the next day and lasted there for three years. I am still good friends with him too.

Very nice.

To be honest, I am a little bit unsure at this point (cuz they told me to wait for 1 week +). Anyway, I already sent out two thank-you letters. We will see how that goes.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow - that's pretty sweet!
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Very nice.

To be honest, I am a little bit unsure at this point (cuz they told me to wait for 1 week +). Anyway, I already sent out two thank-you letters. We will see how that goes.

I think you will get it.. Not like that switch is cheap :)
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You should take whatever you did on that interview and bottle it and sell it. icon_lol.gif

Indeed! Pass some this way too. The most I ever got out of an interview was a job and here I was thinking I was doing a good job!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • shecoolshecool Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's the best interview in the world!
    Up Next: CCDA, CCDP
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    teraterm = win!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To be honest, I am a little bit unsure at this point (cuz they told me to wait for 1 week +).

Hopefully it's a down payment on a job offer icon_cool.gif -- but even if it turns out to be a "miss congeniality award" it still means you had a GREAT interview. icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just faxed my resume to every Hooters in the tri-state area.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Work has several unused ASAs and Routers, unfortunately I can't convince them to give them up... icon_sad.gif
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is deemed a best practice in the network engineering industry. A VP or other high-level executive will provide a potential hire with an extensive dowry before issuing an employment contract. A dowry that usually consists of a multilayer switch, three-legged yak, a yo-yo, and his second daughter. G'luck to you my friend.
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
    Both thank-you letters had good responses. Good signs, tho I don't want to get excited.

I will let you guys know whats next.
    I just came up another question for you guys:

Like I said, I have met with Vice President & Vice President Engineering. Do you guys think there will be a second interview?

Thanks
  • skylineskyline Member Posts: 135
    Usually they'll bring you back for a 2nd interview even if its a formality. If anything it will be a light interview to make sure your personality meshs well with everyone. Unless you got the tour of the place in 1st interview you will get it this time around.
    Goals for '11
    MCITP: EA
    ITIL
    CCNA

Studying:
    MS press book 70-680
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    now the real shocking thing here would be not to take the job and keep their switch LOL! icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • SelfmadeSelfmade Member Posts: 268
    chrisone wrote: »
    now the real shocking thing here would be not to take the job and keep their switch LOL! icon_cheers.gif

Only way to complete that in a Machiavellian style would be to have a second job offer and take that instead of that job and keep their switch icon_twisted.gif
    It's not important to add reptutation points to others, but to be nice and spread good karma everywhere you go.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Update if tearsof got the job?
    Update if tearsof got the job?

I DID get an offer through phone 2 hours ago !!!!! icon_cheers.gif The Vice President Engineering also sent me an offer email. He said he is going send out official offer letter soon.

Since nothing is "offical" , icon_twisted.gif yet .... I am going to hold my breath. But once I got the letter, I will share my story with all of you, with joys and tears.

My 1st IT job, oh boy... I am still shocked icon_wink.gif.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Big congrats! Sounds like you found an awesome starting position and you will likely love everything about it!