Failed 70-299;(

JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
I failed 70-299, and failed it with a miserable score of 456. You don't get a score like that every day.:) I am not sure why this exam is considered one of the easiest when compared to 290/291.
The good part is I am strong on Security templates and IPSec (this was a news to me), and failed on SUS and PKI part.;(
On the plus side, my copy of "Microsoft® Windows Server™ 2003 PKI and Certificate Security" just arrived and i will be hitting my weak points over weekend. I already know at least 4-5 questions that i got wrong (mostly has to do with Offline CA/Enterprise-Subordinate CA). I used 2nd shot to reschedule exam for 29th. Hopefully I will finish 3-4 most needed chapters from the book.

PS: you can get the used version of the book from amazon for as cheap as $12+ shipping. Mine came with unpacked CD and with only a few highlights in it.

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From my understanding PKI is the killer there. SUS really isn't that difficult, just takes a little bit of time to get it down. IPsec and Security templates are another biggy, but sounds like you are alright in that area.

Don't get discouraged, regroup and try it again.

Good luck
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I found with this exam, it really helped to do some hands-on practices, especially with security templates, IPSec rules, PKI. Have you taken the 293 exam? That exam covers a lot of material you see on the 299.
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    I failed 293 last year and did not try it for 2nd time. Decided to finish MCSA first and then move to MCSE.
    I will be implementing some of what i learned with 299 at my current job (mostl IPSec for DMZ zone).
    I have to say that the book i mentioned above is a must have for every System Administrator, even you not going for 70-299 exam. This book cleared up a lot of gray areas regarding CA/EFS/KRA in domain vs workgroup environtment. The best thing is it comes with case chalenging case studies, which unfortunatelly i have no time for yet.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JBrown wrote: »
    This book cleared up a lot of gray areas regarding CA/EFS/KRA in domain vs workgroup environtment.

I bought a new copy from a seller on amazon for $40 or something. It won't be here until the end of July or early August (I could go walk over and pick it up in less time) but I shouldn't be needing it until late August or September anyway so not a big deal.

Sounds like it will be a pretty good read, for both the 293 and 298/299.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • nebapnebnebapneb Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i got 348, beat you! =(

totally spanked and unprepared for the design type questions!
    was good on SUS & IPSEC but failed on PKI(again!)

think i might go via the 293 next time if the exams cross a bit
    as its on my to do list anyways...

put back my hopes of getting my mcsa:s by the end of summer
    but if you're not ready, you're not ready!

still going to work on my sec+ by august though as i need to get it this year for my work
    then i'll redo the 299 in october(or when the have another lot of second shot!)

neb

just ordered the MS PKI book & the 70-299 training kit from amazon for a whopping £20(2nd hand)
    Knackered from working too much, yaaaaaaaaaaaaawn!
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Just failed it again, but this time with 639. As far as i see I was able to get above 60 per cent on each subject and that is still not enough. I guess it's time to download OLD MBSA/SUS tools and start playing with it.
    Hopefully 1 week of studying is enough for POWERUP to beat this level. :)
    got the 70-299 MS:Press book through, starting it this weekend

also found that i can book 72-xxx exams as i'm an OU student
    saves £40 and there's a second shot till jun11 on them too!

probably end up doing my MCSA upgrade to 2008 MCTS 72-648 exam first though
  • Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that you didn't pass. Have you tried using Transcender as a study tool?
    Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!
    Sorry to hear that you didn't pass. Have you tried using Transcender as a study tool?

i've not used Transcender yet, any good?

i tend to stick with CBTNuggets, Testout videos
    Preplogic exams when they're on offer
    and Books wise i've usually used whatevers been recommended by this forum
    or that i can grab from work oh and random pdfs pulled from the net