Salary for Desktop Support

cqlovecqlove Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just got my first IT job which is an entry level tier 1 Desktop Support position. I will be making $15.00 an hr. Is this a respectable salary for starting off in IT? What do you guys make in Desktop Support? What can I expect to make if I make it to tier 2,3,etc...? Thanks again.

Comments

• Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's pretty respectable, a lot of entry level jobs tend to start out around $10-$15 an hour, so you're on the high end of that. I just interviewed for a job this morning that pays 32K a year (it's a help desk position), that equals out to about $15.40 an hour so not far off from your pay. As far as tier 2 and tier 3, that just all depends on what company you work for, what certifications you may hold if any, and your level of experience. I've seen Tier 2 positions from $40-$50K and Tier 3 positions from $46K-$57K a year, some may pay more than that, some may even pay less, but that might be a good range to look at and expect.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    i do desktop support in the mid $50k a year
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It really depends on where you live. For entry level, that's respectable at 15 a hour, depending on your area.

Myself I'm doing desktop support and pulling in just shy of 50k. I wouldn't really give myself a "tier" so to speak, but I have 4 years of IT support experience so it's all relative.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cqlove wrote: »
    I just got my first IT job which is an entry level tier 1 Desktop Support position. I will be making $15.00 an hr. Is this a respectable salary for starting off in IT? What do you guys make in Desktop Support? What can I expect to make if I make it to tier 2,3,etc...? Thanks again.

Depends where you live. I would think that would be considered average for a tier 1 support job. Tier 2 would be 20 an hr in my opinion.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah it really depends on where you live....but me being from ny, $15/hr for a Desktop Support L1 position is a joke...at least for here anyways....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cqlove wrote: »

I would take it. Get your foot in the door and put some money in the bank. You could probably do better, but you could do worse too.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I work for a fairly large hospital in MS and in our shop Helpdesk is tier 1 and Desktop Support is tier 2. They ask for 5 years experience when they hire for tier 2 and the pay range is $38k-53k.

$15/hr is definitely not bad starting out, though. Once you get some experience it opens up alot more doors.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • phobophilephobophile Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's not too bad, depending on location. I'm making $17/hr in a Help Desk (Tier 1) position in Columbus, and this is my first IT position. Our T2 (Desktop Support) probably pulls $45K
  • waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    yup, $15 is not a bad starting point. i have 4 years exp in IT, i started at help desk making 13hr jumped to 17hr to 23hr and now i have an interview for 28hr for desktop engineer.
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds about average
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    Well one thing seems clear from this... wages in the US are better than they are in the UK!
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    gateway wrote: »
    Well one thing seems clear from this... wages in the US are better than they are in the UK!

Yes the numbers are certainly higher, not sure how it all pans out if you consider all economic area's thats not my thing but just considering that quite often things are charged at the same rate in the USA and UK (a widget costing $10 also costs £10 here, which actually should be about the £7-8 mark if you actually use the exchange rate).

Dunno really though I'm in IT not in finance so couldn't really say. would be interested to see the average house price over there for a first time buyer and compare it with ours, what is it over here at the moment £200-300k for a 2-3 bedroom house something like that.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dales wrote: »
    Dunno really though I'm in IT not in finance so couldn't really say. would be interested to see the average house price over there for a first time buyer and compare it with ours, what is it over here at the moment £200-300k for a 2-3 bedroom house something like that.

icon_eek.gif WOW
    Something crazy like that. Certainly in the region of 150k depending on where you live, but you don't get much space with that, no drive or gardens etc.
    Saw a 1bed apartment for rent in London the other day for £800 per month. I guess that's nothing unusual for London.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    gateway wrote: »
    Something crazy like that. Certainly in the region of 150k depending on where you live, but you don't get much space with that, no drive or gardens etc.
    Saw a 1bed apartment for rent in London the other day for £800 per month. I guess that's nothing unusual for London.

That is crazy, LOL. I just looked at a house around here the other day...

$220,000

5.8 Acres
    2,000 SQ-FT
    4 bedrooms with an additional den
    That is crazy, LOL. I just looked at a house around here the other day...

$220,000

5.8 Acres
    2,000 SQ-FT
    4 bedrooms with an additional den

icon_moneyeyes.gif
    I really need to work harder and get out of the UK!
    I've always wanted to go to the US too.