Options

CISSP doesnt count for MCSA/E: Security???

apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I decided to sit the 70-298 exam as I figured when I receive my CISSP cert in the coming month, Ill be able to upgrade my existing MCSE to MCSE:Security.

As it turns out, despite the ISC2 CISSP exam being listed as valid security electives on both the MCP Certification planner and the Microsoft Certification guide page, the exam is not accepted.

I emailed MCPHelp@microsoft.com to find out how I would go about applying my CISSP to my MCSE and I received the following thoroughly unhelpful reply:
Hello
Thank you for your e-mail regarding applying 3rd party credential to Microsoft.

We would be happy to assist you.

Thank you for your interest in the Microsoft Certification program. We are currently working on finalizing an agreement with ICS2 that will allow Microsoft to recognize the CISSP certification as part of our program. Please look for an official announcement with additional details.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please let us know. Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

Jerry

So now what? Well they dont know when the agreement will be reached and exams accepted so I was advised to take the 70-299 exam as that would fulfill the requirement.

I made the argument that I wanted my $125 that I paid for the 70-298 exam back as I would not have taken the test had I known my CISSP would not be accepted. That was naturally refused.

I tried to request a free voucher for the 70-299 exam, again citing the fact that I would not have taken even attempted to upgrade my EXISTING MCSE to MCSE:Security by taking the 70-298 if I had known my CISSP would not be accepted. That too was denied.

So basically because Microsoft's site is "partially" right as I was told on the phone (meaning they will accept my CISSP once the agreement is finalized, whether that tomorrow or 10 years from now is anyone's guess), I now have the option of being out $125 with nothing to really show for it or spending another $125 to take yet another test that I had no plan or intention of ever taking just so my initial $125 outlay doesnt go to waste.

Microsoft. Get your damn act together. That is total BS.

-APR911
Currently Working On: Openstack
2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)

The response given to you is total BS. I see no asterisk by the CISSP. If I were you, I would keep hounding them with emails and/or phone calls, saying, 'If you are not in a position high enough to help me, please connect me with someone who is.'
    Don't take no for an answer, until they cave, or change the web site.

...I would NOT recommend threatening to sue, but if you can get someone who has more authority than simply being able to answer the phone (who preferably is in America, not India) you might casually mention that you have consulted legal counsel in this matter, and they agree with you. I wouldn't push that very hard though. But keep on them for sure.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Yeah, Im definitely not about to let Microsoft off the hook that easily. Its just annoying and a PITA to have to argue with them.

Ive done it before and had them credit me but it took me several hours of my time.

-APR911
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I ask about this and gave an answer on Microsoft's forums, see here.

Another person has stated that MS has accepted their CISSP.

-Ken
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »

It is on the list...
    We are currently working on finalizing an agreement with ICS2 that will allow Microsoft to recognize the CISSP certification as part of our program.

I find that to be a little fishy...
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Hey All,

Im still trying to find out the official status of this.

According to the website, the ISC2 exams should be accepted but according to their staff, it is still pending an agreement. I know this issue was raised before about 8 or 9 months back and Microsoft removed the ISC2 exams from the site and certification planner. So the fact they are now again on the site would seem to indicate the agreement has been reached.

It seems that Microsoft has not adequately trained/informed their staff about accepting the ISC2 exams and the process of doing so as it seems NinjaBoy was successful in applying his credentials. At least the 2 people Ive spoken with so far both were under the impression that ISC2 exams were still pending an agreement being reached.

Ill let you all know when I find out a final answer on this.

-APR911
  • Options
    Hey All,

So I called Microsoft again today and explained the situation once more. I spoke to a very helpful person there who stated that as far as they knew, the CISSP credential was accepted.

They asked that I forward them the email response I received from Jerry so that they could look into it and confirm which response was correct, which I was more than happy to do.

A few hours later, this arrived in my inbox
    Thank you for your e-mail regarding 3rd party CISSP credential.

We apologize for the miss communication happened in our previous email. We would like to inform you that we do except third party CISSP credentials. We would request you to provide us with the ISC2 Member ID/Certification Number so that we can proceed further with your request.

We look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

So the official response seems to be, yes the CISSP is accepted and Microsoft has just done a poor/inadequate job of training/informing all of their front line employees.

I still dont have a response back to the 2nd part of my original question:
    2. Do I need to be fully credentialed with ISC (meaning singed endorsement, passed audit and cert issued) or is having taken and passed the exam sufficient to apply it to my existing MCSE for the MCSE: Security.

but I guess Ill just wait till I finish the full process before applying it to my MCSE. Besides, I think Ill have enough on my plate running through the endorsement and (possible) audit phase of the CISSP without adding trying to upgrade my MCSE at the same time.

Hopefully it wont take too long as I already have an endorser lined up once I get my score (which I am hoping comes tomorrow).

-APR911
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took my CISSP in May, received news of my pass in mid-June, and was fully endorsed and accepted by July 2nd. You will need to have this complete before Microsoft will accept it. I simply email MCPHelp and they asked for my ISC2 ID. Took about a week for it to show up on my transcript.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro