Passed 299 - 3rd try

JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
3rd time lucky. After 2 fails I passed it with 975. For future test takers, 70-299 book alone is not enough for this exam. I used Brian Komar's w2ki3 PKI book and the following: Download details: Windows Server 2003 Deployment Kit: Designing and Deploying Directory and Security Services (chapter 16 and 17) as an additional resource.
So far i have 270,290, 291 and now 299, which gives me MCSA.

Next one 298 and then 294, 293 MCSE
and will keep the 351 for last. MCSE:Sec.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    Glad to see the hard work pay off.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've got the same book already, and will be using cbt nuggets when the time comes around.

Looks like we have the same plan but a different method to get there. I did A+ and Net+ and then 270, 290, 291 for MCSA.

I'm working on Security+ now, and I'll follow that with 293, 294, 298, and 299 for MCSE:Security. My plan is to have this all wrapped up before the end of the year.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you've got the 299 material under your belt, you really have nothing else to learn for 298. It's the same content in a different format; you just need to understand the design aspects of it, which you should have learned along the way.

Congratulations on the pass!
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Thank you guys !!!
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I've got the same book already, and will be using cbt nuggets when the time comes around.

Looks like we have the same plan but a different method to get there. I did A+ and Net+ and then 270, 290, 291 for MCSA.

I'm working on Security+ now, and I'll follow that with 293, 294, 298, and 299 for MCSE:Security. My plan is to have this all wrapped up before the end of the year.

I do have A+ (2003), but I decided stop pursuing anything COMPTIA related. They want way to much money for their certs.
    dynamik wrote: »
    If you've got the 299 material under your belt, you really have nothing else to learn for 298. It's the same content in a different format; you just need to understand the design aspects of it, which you should have learned along the way.

Congratulations on the pass!

I am scheduling 298 for next week, hopefully i will be able to find a book for it by then. Thanx microsoft for extending student second shot until September 30, half the price twice the pleasure :).
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good job! I actually took a Windows Security class that covered 298/299, did the VTC training and the Microsoft Press book and still walked away a bit confused!

Finishing these off is pretty dang amazing if you ask me.
    -Daniel
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JBrown wrote: »
    I am scheduling 298 for next week, hopefully i will be able to find a book for it by then. Thanx microsoft for extending student second shot until September 30, half the price twice the pleasure :).

The MS Press 298 book is awful for this exam. It's a decent reference for Server 2003 security, but it's just hundreds of pages of bullet points. Get a trial Safari membership and page through it. It's impossible to read. I used the 299 MS Press books and Transcender for both of these. I had the 298 Transcender as well, but only did a few questions. It's the same material in a different format.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Congratulations!

I failed 70-299 last week with a score of 547. I did study the MS 70-299 book, took notes, made flash cards, and did the practice exercises. Needless to say I was feeling demoralized.

I downloaded the Windows 2003 deployment kit. I read the first 25 pages of Ch 16. It seemed very white paper-ish to me (marketing fluff). Am I missing something or does it get better?

Second, is there any practices online that are a bit more challenging? I thought the practices exercises in the book were too Mickey Mouse compared to the exam.

I have a full "virtual lab" setup with several Windows 2003 and Windows XP virtual machines and Ubuntu, just for fun.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    dynamik

One of my instructors (who happens to be my manager:)) gave me an access to Microsoft IT Academy's e-learning portal (I am currently doing M.S in Information Systems with Data Comm.). One of the e-learning pools include 70-298 (Designing Security for Microsoft Networks), and man its boring. I barely made it to chapter 2 with out shooting myself in the head(six-pack Heineken). This whole thing about different team members, access levels, teams, and Microsoft's Solution Framework drove me nuts.

ssampier wrote: »
    Congratulations!

I failed 70-299 last week with a score of 547. I did study the MS 70-299 book, took notes, made flash cards, and did the practice exercises. Needless to say I was feeling demoralized.

I downloaded the Windows 2003 deployment kit. I read the first 25 pages of Ch 16. It seemed very white paper-ish to me (marketing fluff). Am I missing something or does it get better?

Second, is there any practices online that are a bit more challenging? I thought the practices exercises in the book were too Mickey Mouse compared to the exam.

I have a full "virtual lab" setup with several Windows 2003 and Windows XP virtual machines and Ubuntu, just for fun.

You did not miss anything:)) I would say 50% of MS certs are taken from their deployment kits. As a matter of fact, I prefer reading MS deployment kits before I start implementing something at work. It answers at least 90 % of my questions and the other 10% I find from IT boards.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I'm currently studying for 70-291. At least there's some overlap with IPSec so my studying didn't feel like a complete waste of time.

I'm debating if I want to spend the money for a Transcender practice test for both 70-291 and 70-299 when I take it again. 70-290 looks relatively easy I don't think I'll need a practice test.

As for the deployment kit who knew that a free download would answer 1/2 of cert exam questions?! Silly if you think about it. I'm going to read the rest of the deployment kit chapters like you suggested. Nudge me if I'm snoring, okay?

I did like the WSUS 3.0 step-by-step download though. I hope the 291 tests WSUS and not the older SUS.

P.S. I ordered a used copy of that PKI book. I bought a few other win2k3 resources, too. I only spend less than $20 for the bundle, wahoo.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    The MS Press 298 book is awful for this exam. It's a decent reference for Server 2003 security, but it's just hundreds of pages of bullet points. Get a trial Safari membership and page through it. It's impossible to read. I used the 299 MS Press books and Transcender for both of these. I had the 298 Transcender as well, but only did a few questions. It's the same material in a different format.

I bought the 298 used off Amazon for $40. I also bought the 299 used off Amazon for $32. Both books come with the cd, so I have the pdf ebook. Normally I don't buy used books, but these books new are quite expensive, and with the ebook included the condition doesn't really matter.
    Decide what to be and go be it.