Steve Herrod, VMware's CTO, Introduces VMware vShere 4.1

pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
This is pretty cool. Watch the 3 1/2 minute video from the link below.

Memory compression – This brings more efficiency out of the hardware. Since memory is normally the bottleneck on VM’s with this new technology they can insert themselves between the virtual machine and the RAM and compress some of the pages before they go to swap. Up to 25% more VM’s can run on the same amount of memory. They also introduced storage I/O control for cloud solutions for storage.

Steve Herrod, VMware's CTO, Introduces VMware vSphere 4.1 - NTPRO.NL - Eric Sloof

This kind of innovation is why VMware stays the leader and Citrix, Microsoft and others try to keep up:)

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

Comments

• pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    This is cool too on vSphere 4.1.

With the VMware vSphere 4.1 release there are lots of new features. One of the features that caught my eye is the ability for ESX/ESXi servers to “join” a Windows Active Directory (AD) domain. An ESX server can be a member server in AD. That means that you can then login to that ESX host using your Windows AD username and password. This applies when connecting to the server using the vSphere Client, going to the console, or connecting via SSH. This is also a nice security function because instead of logging on locally as “root”, now each user can login as themselves and that entry will be made in the associated security logs.

VIDEO: New vSphere 4.1 Windows Active Directory Authentication

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• TechStrikerTechStriker Member Posts: 131
    Awesome, great staff
    Passed SNIA - SCSP
    Working on VCP4
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488

With the VMware vSphere 4.1 release there are lots of new features. One of the features that caught my eye is the ability for ESX/ESXi servers to “join” a Windows Active Directory (AD) domain. An ESX server can be a member server in AD. That means that you can then login to that ESX host using your Windows AD username and password. This applies when connecting to the server using the vSphere Client, going to the console, or connecting via SSH. This is also a nice security function because instead of logging on locally as “root”, now each user can login as themselves and that entry will be made in the associated security logs.

Now that's a hot feature.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059

You could do that on Hyper-V from day 1 icon_lol.gif

(awaiting the inevitable onslaught from all the VMware guys in here...)
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    (awaiting the inevitable onslaught from all the VMware guys in here...)
    Of course, it was easy to leave that code in there along with everything else to maintain the eleventeen terabyte* footprint of a basic Hyper-V install. icon_wink.gif

* slight exaggeration may be present