Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    When are you taking Sec+?

July10th.
  • Options
    Fell asleep for like 13 hours on Sunday (went to take a nap at 5:00pm, didn't wake up till about 6 in the next morning). I guess I was pretty tired. I have about 75 pages left in the book so I will knock those out tonight. I also have the Sybex Security+ review book which I am going to try to get done by Sunday. I am still on the fence about if I am going to pick up any practice test for this exam. I don't think I am. On the comptia website there is a big practice test (at least 100 questions) on that, the test in Darrils book, the test in the review guide and reviewing every single piece of my notes and doing more research. My objective for the S+ was simply to gain knowledge with earning the cert as an Added bonus. I haven't been able to get into LPIC-1 studies like I want but I should be able to make a much better stride towards getting that done later this month. Also I need to start working with my cisco gear more, so I need to finish network warrior and go through every command that I can, especially the QoS stuff. I've started to think about C|EH and SSCP. I would like to do the WCNA as well but I am not sure if the certification is going to be worth it.

I found out there is a DEFCON group near where I am going to move to so I will probably try to hook up with them at some point. Also I am going to a new campus school wise so maybe there will be some hardcore ITers there. I remember taking my CIS 101 class (operating systems) and people were asking what a doc file was and how to create a folder. I DIED. It was cool though because I got an A and the teacher made me his assistant (and sometimes I got to teach).
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    Fell asleep for like 13 hours on Sunday (went to take a nap at 5:00pm, didn't wake up till about 6 in the next morning). I guess I was pretty tired. I have about 75 pages left in the book so I will knock those out tonight. I also have the Sybex Security+ review book which I am going to try to get done by Sunday. I am still on the fence about if I am going to pick up any practice test for this exam. I don't think I am. On the comptia website there is a big practice test (at least 100 questions) on that, the test in Darrils book, the test in the review guide and reviewing every single piece of my notes and doing more research. My objective for the S+ was simply to gain knowledge with earning the cert as an Added bonus. I haven't been able to get into LPIC-1 studies like I want but I should be able to make a much better stride towards getting that done later this month. Also I need to start working with my cisco gear more, so I need to finish network warrior and go through every command that I can, especially the QoS stuff. I've started to think about C|EH and SSCP. I would like to do the WCNA as well but I am not sure if the certification is going to be worth it.

I found out there is a DEFCON group near where I am going to move to so I will probably try to hook up with them at some point. Also I am going to a new campus school wise so maybe there will be some hardcore ITers there. I remember taking my CIS 101 class (operating systems) and people were asking what a doc file was and how to create a folder. I DIED. It was cool though because I got an A and the teacher made me his assistant (and sometimes I got to teach).

Great update! Do C|EH, itll be fun haha.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    citinerd wrote: »
    I just bought Darril's book from amazon and I am waiting for it to arrive but I have a Question... Does it have a CD that contains a PDF of the book? Since I work 3rd shift I like to read at work but leave the book at home.

It does not. Check out this thread. http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/55077-comptia-security-get-certified-get-ahead-sy0-201-a.html
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options

It looks cool. If I start it after LPIC-1 it will probably take me all the way into next year getting ready for it. I really am starting to think that LPIC-1 will be my last cert this year and I am ok with that. I have already set my goals in my mind for SSCP, ITILv3 Foundations, C|EH, and GSEC. I think more than likely those are all I would be able to get done while doing school and stuff. The WCNA looks awesome but I am honestly not sure it is going to have the career impact that I want. If it takes off then maybe but for right now, I don't think so. I still want that book though lol.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It looks cool. If I start it after LPIC-1 it will probably take me all the way into next year getting ready for it. I really am starting to think that LPIC-1 will be my last cert this year and I am ok with that. I have already set my goals in my mind for SSCP, ITILv3 Foundations, C|EH, and GSEC. I think more than likely those are all I would be able to get done while doing school and stuff. The WCNA looks awesome but I am honestly not sure it is going to have the career impact that I want. If it takes off then maybe but for right now, I don't think so. I still want that book though lol.

You can always read and learn without taking the exam for the CWNA. I don't plan to do the CCNA any time soon, but learning how to use and troubleshoot a Cisco switch/router is definitely on my list of things to do.
  • Options
    You can always read and learn without taking the exam for the CWNA. I don't plan to do the CCNA any time soon, but learning how to use and troubleshoot a Cisco switch/router is definitely on my list of things to do.

Of course. I have to do that for SQL server, Windows 7 (when we roll it out), SCCM and our interaction/polycom voip gateway stuff.
  • Options
    July10th.

Same day I'm taking 70-291, good luck.
  • Options

I just looked at their site. I thought they wanted 1 year of InfoSec (like SSCP) but they want 2. Hmm... I might have to hold off till the end of the year for sure to sit this exam. Doesn't mean I wont icon_study.gif for it though icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Same day I'm taking 70-291, good luck.

Both of us should come back with wins for the home team icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I also have the Sybex Security+ review book which I am going to try to get done by Sunday.

So do I, let me know what you think.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    So do I, let me know what you think.

The first time I decided to do the S+ (back in Feb before the job issues) I skimmed through it. I think I thought it was ok. I will do a full review probably next sunday or monday and I will say how well it prepared me for the exam sometime on the 10th.
  • Options
    Do you think that you need both books? I'm thinking Daril's book along with either CBT or Trainsignal for when I do mine. Do you think that is good enough?
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Do you think that you need both books? I'm thinking Daril's book along with either CBT or Trainsignal for when I do mine. Do you think that is good enough?

Daril's book and the videos will be more than enough.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    Thats what I have been hearing, thanks for the confirmation. Any preference as to which set of videos I should go with?
  • Options
    Daril's book and the videos will be more than enough.

I agree. I think even Darill's book will be enough. Make sure to take a look up virus types though.
  • Options
    Make sure to take a look up virus types though.

Will do, thanks!
  • Options
    finished the book. Time for bed.
  • Options
    finished the book. Time for bed.

Well done bro! Some light review and then bam July 10th you become Security+! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Well done bro! Some light review and then bam July 10th you become Security+! icon_thumright.gif

Hopefully icon_thumright.gif

I have to order a few books on Group Policy and Windows Security as well as another Linux book soon so hopefully those will make excellent post security+ reading. I've given up on trying to get the LPIC-1 done before school and instead, I am focused on getting it done before the end of the year. I still think that will probably be the last cert I get although the ITILv3 Foundations looking more interesting that I thought. The information could help me with my job since we are trying to implement some ITIL processes at work. Depending on how I feel after LPIC-1, the ITIL is the only other cert that I may do. Since I am doing 10 credits in the fall and more than likely 15 or so in the winter, I should be done in the summer. So 3 more quarters til my A.A.S is done icon_cheers.gif. I can almost taste it.
  • Options
    Well I am going to have to wait til August to do this bad boy. We are going to need every extra dollar as we are moving on at the end of the month.icon_thumright.gif I also plan on stopping my 7 day work week asap. I might be able to squeeze this in this month but who knows.

At any rate with this extra time I plan to really dive deep into the InfoSec material. Since I want to do the SSCP, C|EH and a few other certifications next year I really want to go beyond the material. So I guess I just have to wait.

It is probably all for the best though. I am redoing my companies switch stack as well as migrating us from a pix solution to a sonicwall NSA. It goes without saying that I am more than a little nervous. I need to have it done by September before our audits so as soon as I get the equipment (in a few weeks) I need to get started. I am getting a TZ100W or TZ210W for my home so that should help with my Sonicwall exposure. Fun times!
  • Options
    Well I am going to have to wait til August to do this bad boy. We are going to need every extra dollar as we are moving on at the end of the month.icon_thumright.gif I also plan on stopping my 7 day work week asap. I might be able to squeeze this in this month but who knows.

At any rate with this extra time I plan to really dive deep into the InfoSec material. Since I want to do the SSCP, C|EH and a few other certifications next year I really want to go beyond the material. So I guess I just have to wait.

It is probably all for the best though. I am redoing my companies switch stack as well as migrating us from a pix solution to a sonicwall NSA. It goes without saying that I am more than a little nervous. I need to have it done by September before our audits so as soon as I get the equipment (in a few weeks) I need to get started. I am getting a TZ100W or TZ210W for my home so that should help with my Sonicwall exposure. Fun times!

Nice nice.
  • Options
    This has nothing to do with S+ but we officially got the apartment! Moving in 2 weeks, S+ a few weeks after that!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hate moving but it's a good thing for you. Good luck on the new place.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Nice job. Movin' on up! (No pun intended) lol
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Over a week with no update? knwminus must have a lot of packing to do.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »

He must have passed and decided that he is too good for us now. We aren't worthing to talk anymore.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »

Sorry. I just haven't been studying for the S+ actively. I am not taking the test until next month because I want to save as much money for moving as possible. I will pick back up in a few weeks (like at the end of the month).
  • Options
    I am ordering this book tonight (got the ok from the boss)
    Amazon.com: Network Security Bible (9780470502495): Eric Cole: Books

Hopefully it will be good S+/SSCP and maybe C|EH reading. This along with the stuff I already have should take me til next year easily.
  • Options
    Sorry. I just haven't been studying for the S+ actively. I am not taking the test until next month because I want to save as much money for moving as possible. I will pick back up in a few weeks (like at the end of the month).

sorry to hear that. You better get your butt in gear before I pass you. :p