Name/Organization Dropping on a Resume

plantageplantage Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I worked for a number of years with an IT company, setting up and networking computers for conferences, seminars, examinations, etc. I would also do tech support during the events, to make sure everything works in proper order and be able to quickly fix anything that went wrong. As well, answer questions from anyone using our computers. I was an employee of the company but hired out to organizations like Texas Instruments, the G7 conference (now the Gicon_cool.gif, a main political party's leadership convention, etc. Should that be left for the interview process instead of appearing on a resume? Should it be mentioned at all? I presume that such name dropping would demonstrate that I can work with top organizations in a professional manner and provide service that such companies would demand.

So, should such companies be mentioned on a resume or should I wait until the interview process to mention them? Or should I maintain a level of privacy (though, I never signed any privacy agreements and the company I worked for have been acknowledged publicly for their support)?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For someone like me who is a contractor, but every day reports to the same company and the same job, I could probably get away with listing the company that I am actually working for.

For someone that spends a few weeks here and a few weeks there, I think you would be best to list the company that signs the paycheck, and reference a couple of the bigger companies that you worked for. If they want a full list, that is something you can talk about at the interview.

Consultant for Consulting-Company, worked with Microsoft, IBM, and others. Is probably how I would list it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    For someone like me who is a contractor, but every day reports to the same company and the same job, I could probably get away with listing the company that I am actually working for.

For someone that spends a few weeks here and a few weeks there, I think you would be best to list the company that signs the paycheck, and reference a couple of the bigger companies that you worked for. If they want a full list, that is something you can talk about at the interview.

Consultant for Consulting-Company, worked with Microsoft, IBM, and others. Is probably how I would list it.

+1 to this.

I've been outsourced to a govt dept for the past 6x months and they're listed on my resume as such. My general rule is 3x months or more at a location makes an entry.

Name dropping is good for selling yourself, provided you spent enough time at that particular company. Which is why I'm trying to get into a globally branded corporation.
  • plantageplantage Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »

Do you think saying under the section for my parent company something like, 'subcontracted to Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Texas Instruments, Liberal Party of Canada, and others.' would do?

For the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, I was contracted to them (doing tech support) for the months of April to June, but every year for 3 years. RCPS would be invoiced for my services and I would get paid by my parent company. The other two, I did conferences for a couple of times.

Thanks for your advice Mike and Devil!
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    +1 to this.

I've been outsourced to a govt dept for the past 6x months and they're listed on my resume as such. My general rule is 3x months or more at a location makes an entry.

Name dropping is good for selling yourself, provided you spent enough time at that particular company. Which is why I'm trying to get into a globally branded corporation.

I got neg repped for this? It's a cruel world. icon_sad.gif

Seriously, if you disagree just say so, no need to detract reps.
    plantage wrote: »
    Do you think saying under the section for my parent company something like, 'subcontracted to Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Texas Instruments, Liberal Party of Canada, and others.' would do?

Yep that's how I would state it. The rest can be later mentioned at an interview. Just my opinion though.

(Remember, neg repping gives you cancer, the Farrah Fawcett kind.)
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I got neg repped for this? It's a cruel world. icon_sad.gif

Seriously, if you disagree just say so, no need to detract reps.
    Are you trolling for positive rep? icon_rolleyes.gif

The only rep since your post is from a noob who doesn't have enough rep yet to affect anyone yet -- and they didn't leave a comment so that means they selected "I Agree." There should be a blueish square next to that one.

The one on the 17th has a comment.... but the comment doesn't sound bad (I can't see if it was an I Agree or I Disagree or the post it was made on).

And then the 3rd one down in your rep list was all the way back on the 28th of June and had a blank comment -- so it should have been an I Agree/positive (with a green square). And hopefully it's still a green positive -- it was from me and I just updated the comment.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Are you trolling for positive rep? icon_rolleyes.gif

Ouch, shot down by mikej. But no I wasn't.

I might just fume a bit more silently from now on.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    plantage wrote: »

Don't get too wordy. Name dropping 1 or 2 might work. You really don't want to spend 3 paragraphs listing off companies.

Keep it short, but you can tailor your resume to each time you use it. For example, when applying at a bank you would likely want to reference another bank your worked for.

Then during your interview, you can answer questions by: "When I was working for Texas Instruments, I was working on a project doing x, y, and z." This not only gets the name of the company out, it is also a good way to answer questions. If you are asked, can you manage an IT infrastructure, and you answer with "yes" and nothing else. You will not be getting that job. So during the interview, name drop as much as you would like.
    Decide what to be and go be it.