Open Position within the Company

jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
Guys,

I need your advised on this, There's an open position within our company but on different location, The position open is almost the same as what I currently been doing but with more scope and I can work more independently will get a chance to handle some server which I can not do right now. And most of all the position is much higher than my current Grade Level.

Now the issue is I just got currently promoted to my existing position however the grade level where I was promoted is much lower than the position I am aiming to apply for. But I am not sure with regards to salary information.

The only information I need before I go for it is the salary for the open position.. They didnt put it on the position. And I think it will depends so I still need to ask my manager approval prior to applying for it.

Whom do you think I need to ask that information? I would like to ask it in a manner that is professional of course all of us works to earn and for me if its not of a big difference to the current of what I am getting then its not worth to relocate.

Hope to hear from you guys...

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most companies look kindely on moving up in the organization. The company my friend works for, his manager is graded on whether his employees are moving up. So if he sits with the exact same folks all year, he gets a poor review.

Other companies don't want you to move around. I think these companies are in the minority, but they certainly do exist.

Speak with your manager about the new position in a casual conversation. Just mention that you saw there was an opening and aee what he knows about it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    Thanks for that feedback , Actually I ask one of my colleagues who knew the manager for that particular location, So he maybe would get some good feedback for me about the true nature of the job, I am letting him do the initial communication since he knew the manager and maybe I can get a chance to talk to the manager responsible for that position. But I still have to open this up to my existing manager.

Although the area where would I really need to get a scoop is the current pay rate for that position before I make a move.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    But I still have to open this up to my existing manager.

I would be nervous that this new manager will say something to your current manager. Nothing worse than sneaking behind your manager's back and them finding out about it. So before you really start talking to him, you might want to make sure that your manager is at least aware that you are curious about this other position.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You might want to check your company's policies. I know a lot of places have a provision in place where you can't transfer to another position in the company within 12 months of taking a position. So if you were just promoted you may not be allowed to switch roles again just yet.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jetdynamicsjetdynamics Member Posts: 129
    That's another good point I will check on that and I will also make sure that I will informed my manager first before anybody else outside of our group.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You might want to check your company's policies. I know a lot of places have a provision in place where you can't transfer to another position in the company within 12 months of taking a position. So if you were just promoted you may not be allowed to switch roles again just yet.

Also check to see if there is a restriction on how much your pay can increase at once - a 10% raise in my company has to be signed off on by the company president (and to my knowledge has never happened.) So I am grossly underpaid but I wanted the experience, so I took it.

Just something to check on.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed