Options

Student Experiences at Western Governors University (WGU)

Comments

• Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Well I picked up the Mike Meyers A+ and N+ books + the S+ one by the same publisher for $100 to my door.

I would assume that these are the prefered books correct? From what ive been reading, the books that WGU provides are kind of crappy. If thats the case, im going to have to look into getting them. Im ready to start hammering away the CoS for both the A+ Classes, so I guess I need to get them ordered.
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    Actually, what books exactly are needed? This one on amazon?

Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 &…

Just trying ot make sure I get the correct text.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    And man, am I jazzed!

A networking project with lots of project management heaped on top. But, if everything goes smoothly, I just might get my concentration stuff done by the end of the year. . .
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually, what books exactly are needed? This one on amazon?

Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition (Exams 220-701 &…

Just trying ot make sure I get the correct text.
    That's the one you want. The books WGU provides aren't very good. The Labsim is pretty good though
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    I would assume that these are the prefered books correct? From what ive been reading, the books that WGU provides are kind of crappy. If thats the case, im going to have to look into getting them. Im ready to start hammering away the CoS for both the A+ Classes, so I guess I need to get them ordered.

I have both ILT and the Mike Meyers Network+ book, and frankly I used both. The Meyers book was at best slightly better than the ILT book. For Security+ and Project+ I stuck with the supplied ILT books and did fine.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • Options
    A lot of people have done quite well using the ILT books combined with the Labsim WGU has provided. I used the ILT book and the Labsim for the Net+ and scored an 865 on the exam. I mostly credit Labsim for my success though, it was more thorough.
    One thing I noticed while studying for the Sec+ was that the ILT book is word for word with the skillsoft modules for that course.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    I tried labsim but didn't like it too much so far. But that is just based on the A+ courses. I'm waiting on it to download more than I am watching videos and reading. I do have a disc laying here for the S+ Labsim/test out so I'll see how that is after I finish the A+. The ILT books aren't bad, but I feel they lack more in depth info on subjects for someone who hasn't been in IT before. I'll see how the Mike Meyers books are Thursday, I can always send them back.
    Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
    CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
    Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The books...are they already paid for? I know this has probably been answered a bunch of times, but I'm wondering if I have a choice to get them in a Kindle format (if possible). I really do love my Kindle (especially since I did not pay for it... :D ).
  • Options
    I don't think the books that WGU sends you (CIW and CompTIA) are available on kindle. I could be wrong though. The CompTIA books most WGU students use for the CompTIA certs (Mike Meyers A+ All in One, Network Passport, Darril Gibson's Security+ Get Certified, Get Ahead OR the Sybex book) which you have to purchase may be available.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    I don't think the books that WGU sends you (CIW and CompTIA) are available on kindle. I could be wrong though. The CompTIA books most WGU students use for the CompTIA certs (Mike Meyers A+ All in One, Network Passport, Darril Gibson's Security+ Get Certified, Get Ahead OR the Sybex book) which you have to purchase may be available.

Gibson's book is definitely available on Kindle (I have it, so I know). Mike Meyers I have used for my A+ and Network+, plus his vouchers way back when.

I know that MSPress books were not available on Kindle and probably still not.
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Glad there is another August person.

August 1 is my "official" start date. Still haven't heard back about my transcripts and which classes are being waived. I know they have the transcripts as of the 13th and was promised by my enrollment counselor that I would have the results by today. Hoping a lot of my GenEd classes will be waived. Supposed to have my mentor assigned next week.

Good luck
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    never2late wrote: »
    August 1 is my "official" start date. Still haven't heard back about my transcripts and which classes are being waived. I know they have the transcripts as of the 13th and was promised by my enrollment counselor that I would have the results by today. Hoping a lot of my GenEd classes will be waived. Supposed to have my mentor assigned next week.

Good luck
    I have found that they aren't in too much of a hurry with transcripts. They had mine in for several months and I just received my report on Tuesday for my August start date. I had to get a couple course descriptions from a few classes that I thought should have transferred sent in an had heard nothing from that either. I haven't been overly pleased with my enrollment counselor and had to contact another. The last contact I have had with my original enrollment counselor was May. See you on the other side.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    never2late wrote: »

Good luck

You too.

I had started inquiring in June. I told them I was interested in August so they had enough time to evaluate my coursework and all of that. Told them if I didn't hear back from them by a certain date they could forget about me starting at all. Took care of that and the financial aid portion.
    I called my enrollment counselor and I am basically waiting to hear when I'll EWB so I can get that over with and get into my classes. The one thing I am seeing about WGU is they love taking their sweet time.

I'll say this though, I swore I would never go to Utah, ever....but if I do finish my program, I might change my mind and then take the quickest flight into Vegas. Either that, or visit a friend of mine who moved out to the OC in Cali. Or...perhaps both (though doubtful...and I'm more leaninig to the former). But I'm getting ahead of myself....lol.

Best of luck and see you and others on the other side. Already joined WGU's student group on linkedin.
  • Options
    You too.
    ~snip The one thing I am seeing about WGU is they love taking their sweet time.

I think they are going through growing pains. As of last year they surpassed 15,000, that was up from a few thousand just 5 years ago. During my time I saw issues starting with mentors a few years ago. Imho the students loads on mentors were getting too high.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    uhtrinity wrote: »
    I think they are going through growing pains. As of last year they surpassed 15,000, that was up from a few thousand just 5 years ago. During my time I saw issues starting with mentors a few years ago. Imho the students loads on mentors were getting too high.

My Mentor has indicated as such. WGU's web site has job listings for WGU mentors, one of which is for IT.

Oh, and if you live in UT there are IT job openings for WGU ;)
  • Options
    The MS Press books aren't available on Kindle but they are on Books 24x7 if you don't mind reading them on your laptop or desktop. I actualy have gotten quite used to reading on the computer screen (don't have a Kindle) and mainly use the physical book while labbing. One of the advantages of using 24x7 is the answers to review questions are on the same page but the disadvantage is that you can't really use the index as the pages aren't numbered, you need the physical book if you use the index.
    All of the required MS Press books, most of the suggested books in the TE resource threads, and the preferred CompTIA books (Mike Meyers, Sybex) are on 24x7. Darril Gibsons Sec+ Get Certified, Get Ahead is not on 24x7 though.
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for my Amazon Card. I know at least 2 of my referrals are starting in August. Did any of my referrrals start in JUly? I didn't get any personal info on most people I've referred so I have no idea as I've referred so many.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I'm still waiting for my Amazon Card. I know at least 2 of my referrals are starting in August. Did any of my referrrals start in JUly? I didn't get any personal info on most people I've referred so I have no idea as I've referred so many.

I'd say, wait a little bit. I've heard of it taking 2-3 months after folks start before the card arrives.

I've received two or three E-mails about folks I've referred applying, but that's been within the last month. It'll probably be September before I hear anything else.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options

EW, I hope I'm one of those 2...lol.

I will definitely let you know when I complete EWB. From what I understand, it shouldn't even take that long to complete once I start it. You probably have your Amazon card from your July folks, but you can definitely count on me. I have started my countdown to EWB starting today. :D

Once I complete EWB, I too will be offering myself to referrals in the referral thread for my own Amazon card (at least 2-3 good Kindle books).
  • Options
    The MS Press books aren't available on Kindle but they are on Books 24x7 if you don't mind reading them on your laptop or desktop. I actualy have gotten quite used to reading on the computer screen (don't have a Kindle) and mainly use the physical book while labbing. One of the advantages of using 24x7 is the answers to review questions are on the same page but the disadvantage is that you can't really use the index as the pages aren't numbered, you need the physical book if you use the index.
    All of the required MS Press books, most of the suggested books in the TE resource threads, and the preferred CompTIA books (Mike Meyers, Sybex) are on 24x7. Darril Gibsons Sec+ Get Certified, Get Ahead is not on 24x7 though.

The MSPress Books do have a PDF equivalent. I just got an email from Amazon that an update is available for my Kindle. The update will allow me to zoom in PDF books, so I'm hoping that it might not be so bad. I've tried reading PDFs on it, and did not like it. Maybe this update will help but I won't know until I do it.

What I definitely need to do after EWB is talk to my mentor and see if he'll let me take Sec+ this term. That's the only cert I want to worry about before the end of the year. I really wanted to take it this month, but work was kicking my butt. But I would definitely do it if I felt "under-the-gun" (PASS or (fail) DIE...lmao!). Once I get Sec+, I plan on continuing to knock out the GE stuff that I have left.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well 12 CU down in under a month. I been having a little bit of problems with math course. It has been a long time since I did math. I took my first assesment about 3 weeks ago and got 44% on it and took another yesterday and scored 68% on it. I was two percent from passing. I will knock it out on my third try.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    EW, I hope I'm one of those 2...lol.

I will definitely let you know when I complete EWB. From what I understand, it shouldn't even take that long to complete once I start it. You probably have your Amazon card from your July folks, but you can definitely count on me. I have started my countdown to EWB starting today. :D

Once I complete EWB, I too will be offering myself to referrals in the referral thread for my own Amazon card (at least 2-3 good Kindle books).
    You're 1 of the 2 or three I referred who are starting in August. I've referred a lot of people through TE that haven't gone through with enrolling. Hopefully I'll get my card in the next month or so.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, after enrolling on 8/1/2009, my work at WGU is officially done! I pushed it to the last few days of my term, but I submitted my capstone paper last night. 5-6 hours later, it was graded with a score of 3.96/4.00, completing my Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management program. :)

I ended up completing 31 credits my first term and 43 this term, and there were definite gaps in there where I could have done more.

Now it's time to study for the GRE. I just started working for a fairly large public university a few months ago, and I can work on a Master's degree for free while I'm there.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bwcarty wrote: »
    my work at WGU is officially done!
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    I submitted my capstone paper last night. 5-6 hours later, it was graded with a score of 3.96/4.00, completing my Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management program. :)
    WGU may have some growing pains with their enrollment councilors, and some people have mentioned having to wait on their mentors sometimes, but it seems like they've got the capstone grading down to a science. icon_cool.gif
    I just started working for a fairly large public university a few months ago, and I can work on a Master's degree for free while I'm there.
    Sweet!! icon_thumright.gif Good Luck with your GRE exam and continuing studies icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well, after enrolling on 8/1/2009, my work at WGU is officially done! I pushed it to the last few days of my term, but I submitted my capstone paper last night. 5-6 hours later, it was graded with a score of 3.96/4.00, completing my Bachelor of Science, IT - Networks Design and Management program. :)

I ended up completing 31 credits my first term and 43 this term, and there were definite gaps in there where I could have done more.

Now it's time to study for the GRE. I just started working for a fairly large public university a few months ago, and I can work on a Master's degree for free while I'm there.

Congrats!

Did you start on 8/1/2009 without any previous credits?
  • Options

General Disclaimer: Please realize that people like this are not typical as most of us are not super human. Don't go into a WGU expecting to do 30+ credits a term or you will be sorely disappointed.

To bwcarty, Grats!!
  • Options
    General Disclaimer: Please realize that people like this are not typical as most of us are not super human. Don't go into a WGU expecting to do 30+ credits a term or you will be sorely disappointed.

Thanks for reminding the new and potential students of this. I knocked off eight classes last semester, but I am unsure that I will be able to accomplish this again.
  • Options

To bwcarty, Grats!!

I congratulate bwcarty. Since I work for a university, I have the same plan. (WGU out of my pocket...Masters out of theirs :) ).

I have no expectation of finishing next year; I will work at my own pace.
  • Options
    Congrats Bwcarty!!!

I'm more the norm getting around 21 CU's a term. Some people who have more job/family responsibilities than me may not be able to manage even that but around 20 is not hard. Having work and family and basically not wanting to stress out is why I've settled into not working for more each term.
    Next term will be my last and I will need to get 25 CU's (BHV1, BIV1, TWA1, and CPW3) of which I'll be ready to do BHV1 and TWA1 the first part of September (beginning of term). I've already got the TWA1 paper almost done. I'll have until the end of February to complete the rest which should be easy.