New CCNP books

stallstall Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've already got the CCNP self study guides for the routing and switching part of the old exams. I notice that there some new books for SWITCH and ROUTE foundations.

Has the material and topics changed so much for me to go and re-buy these newer ones or can I make do?

Cheers

Comments

• bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I think the majority of the topics is the same. Take a look at these articles:

Wendoll Odom's Blog - NEW ROUTE Exam
    Wendoll Odom's Blog - NEW SWITCH Exam
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • BADfish10BADfish10 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    BADfish10 wrote: »
    ROUTE foundations book "is gold" i would defo buy it.

i second this.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i second this.

It has 200 pages on ipv6!! i'm scared to open it !! ;)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    It has 200 pages on ipv6!! i'm scared to open it !! ;)

Haha well I need help with IPv6 so I will be glad to read it.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chmorin wrote: »
    Haha well I need help with IPv6 so I will be glad to read it.

Me to, a mate asked a simple question about IPv6, so i thought I would show him the answer from the book. we went through the first few pages and then I started to relise how much there is!!!

It looks to me that CISCO are pushing IPv6 hard in this new track. It will be good though as its something I have been putting of and this will force me to face up to it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    The new books are awesome. I have already passed the older exams, but I have them for review. Some of the stuff is free on cisco, but I enjoy having hard copies of books for free.

One complaint is how cisco deals with MPLS. They smack it right in the middle of the EIGRP section. They mention it in the other protocols, but I felt they could have made a chapter after OSPF or BGP.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where did you get your books from. Wonder if i can get these books shipped to aust ?

Any of you guys have the ebook editions of the route or switch book ? Just so i can have a quick glance while i wait for them to arrive
  • Tyson87Tyson87 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BADfish10 wrote: »
    ROUTE foundations book "is gold" i would defo buy it.

£33 from Computer Manuals - Discount Mail order computer book seller. Supplying cheap books to UK and Europe
    Tis a good read

Hey, I was wondering why you suggested the foundations book instead of wendells cert. guide? since they are new there are few reviews on amazon so i was kind of hoping someone here would be able to put some valuable insight on this for me.

kind regards,
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

BSc. Network Computing
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
  • geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    I too was looking at the cert guides compared with self-study guides and suspected the latter would be better but, as Tyson says, few reviews yet.

What about the Routing TCP/IP book (published 2005) for a read? I have the 1998 version but given the latest is 5 years old now does anyone know if this is going to be replaced soon and so wait for it or just get the 2005 version?
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    geezer wrote: »
    What about the Routing TCP/IP book (published 2005) for a read? I have the 1998 version but given the latest is 5 years old now does anyone know if this is going to be replaced soon and so wait for it or just get the 2005 version?
    the book is overkill and i love it for that reason. i think it is worth every penny and provides a really nice second source for my ROUTE studies.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Tyson87Tyson87 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the book is overkill and i love it for that reason. i think it is worth every penny and provides a really nice second source for my ROUTE studies.

Yea, I agree its a great resource however, for exam purposes i like to be sure about specific exam topics that might/might not be emphasized in other reading material such as TCP/IP Routing (even though it is CCIE level material). That being said I enjoy reading the book but I still feel like i need specifed literature specifically written for the NP exams. (please correct/forgive me if i am being slightly hypocritical.) any advice would be brilliant
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

BSc. Network Computing
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
  • geezergeezer Member Posts: 136
    --removed--
    I used to be undecided but now I'm not so sure.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • IgorGothIgorGoth Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Being a newcomer to Cisco I've only been using the new book from Odom for the ROUTE test. The Boson sim exams are still running some material from the old exams in their sims (which aren't in the Odom book - and that kind of freaks me).

I'll find out in about a week if the Odom book covers everything for the Route exam or not... I'll be reporting back
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    I had a couple of questions on the BCMSN that wasn't in the official certification guide book...
  • BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    I can't wait for the lab companion/portfolio, they have this for the old CCNP track, I might be getting the whole set for foundation and lab companion, as it might help me on CCIE journey.
  • pinkyforupinkyforu Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing .......
    Well I wanted to say I got it in three weeks, but I missed out on ROUTE yesterday - not by much, but it was still a miss. In consideration of the books, I found the exam stuck to the blueprint and Odom's book alone got me close to the goal. I think though Odom's book together with the Foundation uber-book will carry me over the line. So I'm going to get ready for 950 pages (!!!) to take on the exam in another few weeks.
    IgorGoth wrote: »
    Well I wanted to say I got it in three weeks, but I missed out on ROUTE yesterday - not by much, but it was still a miss. In consideration of the books, I found the exam stuck to the blueprint and Odom's book alone got me close to the goal. I think though Odom's book together with the Foundation uber-book will carry me over the line. So I'm going to get ready for 950 pages (!!!) to take on the exam in another few weeks.

Anyone please post the link to the foundation books for the 3 exams, I need to make sure I have the correct one.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Anyone please post the link to the foundation books for the 3 exams, I need to make sure I have the correct one.

ROUTE
    http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587058820
    Hardcover: 976 pages
    Publisher: Cisco Press; 1 edition (July 8, 2010)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 1587058820
    ISBN-13: 978-1587058820

SWITCH
    http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587058847
    Hardcover: 560 pages
    Publisher: Cisco Press; 1 edition (July 1, 2010)
    ISBN-10: 1587058847
    ISBN-13: 978-1587058844

TSHOOT
    http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587058766
    Hardcover: 552 pages
    Publisher: Cisco Press; 1 edition (April 5, 2010)
    ISBN-10: 1587058766
    ISBN-13: 978-1587058769
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    Thanks, there's a bargain on this, 134 for all three books...
    Amazon has the 3 in the Foundation Library for $123.39 - It's not due out until Aug 30th though. I ended up purchasing them separately because I didn’t want to wait for the set.
    Update: I just ordered this I hope it's the correct one...

Amazon.com: CCNP Routing and Switching Foundation Learning Library: Foundation Learning for CCNP ROUTE, SWITCH, and…

Do you guys know if this contains all 3 books? this is a great deal, but the added waiting period...
    You should be good with that set - the details section says that it contains 3 books and lists the foundation books above.
    pitviper wrote: »
    You should be good with that set - the details section says that it contains 3 books and lists the foundation books above.

Okay cool thanks I tend to sometimes glance read, instead of reading things thouroughly :P
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    mella060 wrote: »
    Where did you get your books from. Wonder if i can get these books shipped to aust ?
    I ordered mine from bookware.com.au for AUD 143.95, they usually have pretty good Australian prices for tech books
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Update: I just ordered this I hope it's the correct one...

Amazon.com: CCNP Routing and Switching Foundation Learning Library: Foundation Learning for CCNP ROUTE, SWITCH, and…

Do you guys know if this contains all 3 books? this is a great deal, but the added waiting period...

I still can't understand why Cisco Press always releases two versions of the books for their certs. It used to be 'Official Study Guides' and 'Certification Library', not it's 'Foundation Learning' and 'Official Certification Library'? I guess it's nice to have options?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    I've been perusing the Foundation Route book using a SafariOnlineBook trial account. Looks to be a much easier read with lots of example command outputs compared to Odom's Cert Guide. There were a few concepts that came across more clearly in my early reading. Looks like it has a stronger practical focus than just getting you through the exams. I'm really looking forward to reading the Foundation series once delivery is made to me in Tokers.icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
  • ishgotbikeishgotbike Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I bought the Route Foundations book and i must say it is a blessing for studying the nooks and crannies of routing. The IPV6 info is Great.

My problem is It didnt come with a pdf copy. Dont want to lug this book around.

Is that normal for all foundation books?
    Ish
    To improve is to change; to perfect is to change often.

CCNP: Switch [x ] Route [ ] T-Shoot [ ]