1Y1-A18 - Where Have I Been?

I CANNOT BELIEVE I MISSED THIS ONE!

Exam A18

Lucky enough I was able to register for the 27th. VCP on hold crack open the Windows 2008 R2 install. XenApp 6 install here we go ... its cramming time icon_study.gif

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the heads up. I registered, hopefully I get enough studying and labbing done in the coming few weeks to have a chance of passing. If anything the deadline will push me to study more.

BTW how did you hear about this?
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    Thanks for posting this I registered for next Friday. I'm wasting time posting this when I should be studying!!!
  • GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So... will this count towards any Certs?
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So... will this count towards any Certs?
    Yes:
    CCA for Citrix XenApp 6
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    If you don't mind me asking, but what are you guys using for study material ?
    Of course now I have to decide if I continue with the CCA XenApp5 qual (about 30% in) or jump ship to this one. icon_scratch.gif
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Thanks for the heads up. I registered, hopefully I get enough studying and labbing done in the coming few weeks to have a chance of passing. If anything the deadline will push me to study more.

Not a problem, I too love the smell of tight deadlines in the morning :D
    BTW how did you hear about this?

Normally I get a notification from one of the very many feeds or from Citrix direct, however, this time was a total fluke. I just happened to be looking through all the exams looking for an Essentials Exam when I stumbled upon this.
    Zaits wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, but what are you guys using for study material ?

This is my list so far, which is all FREE :)
    The following is only available for CCIs and Citrix Partners but I am told is a great resource (I've not got this far yet). The above has two CCLs (Citrix Learning Labs)
    • CLL-004-1W Integrating Citrix XenApp with Microsoft App-V
    • CLL-002-1W Simplified Management with XenApp
    Lastly where would you be without actually installing and playing with the product. The following has three evals for download, including a ready to use VHD.
    I must admit that I failed to get the VHD to work on my XenServer (version 5.6) and spent more than 5 minutes trying so just installed 2008 R2 and XenApp 6 (after a 4.8GB download) as it was quicker ;)
    Hope this helps.
    Of course now I have to decide if I continue with the CCA XenApp5 qual (about 30% in) or jump ship to this one. icon_scratch.gif

That's a tough one and really depends on you. I love new tech and pressure so a good mix for me :)

If it were me, I'd say take a crack at XenApp 6 whilst it is FREE then go back to XenApp 5. I've dumped my VMware vSphere 4 study to jump on this whilst it is free. I know that it is a four hour exam and there is little time to prep but hey it is fun (no, really it is).

If you pass XenApp 6 then that's great. If not you will be ready to take another shot when it is released with an idea where you fell short and be able to focus your study.

Go on, you know you want to icon_twisted.gif
    stupidboy wrote: »
    This is my list so far, which is all FREE :)
    The following is only available for CCIs and Citrix Partners but I am told is a great resource (I've not got this far yet). The above has two CCLs (Citrix Learning Labs)
    • CLL-004-1W Integrating Citrix XenApp with Microsoft App-V
    • CLL-002-1W Simplified Management with XenApp
    Lastly where would you be without actually installing and playing with the product. The following has three evals for download, including a ready to use VHD.
    I must admit that I failed to get the VHD to work on my XenServer (version 5.6) and spent more than 5 minutes trying so just installed 2008 R2 and XenApp 6 (after a 4.8GB download) as it was quicker ;)
    Hope this helps.

Thats spot on the same material I'm using to study. We've been working on migrating from XenApp 5 to XenApp 6, so I had about 60% of XenApp 6 already configured for our environment. It took me awhile to find the advanced management console haha. This should be a fun exam with such little time to study.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    OMFG! Worker Groups where have you been all my life
    Oh come on, didn't you like cobbling together some script that used MFCOM to publish the same apps on different servers or ensure the settings were all the same...? Now you'll have to leave work on time. icon_lol.gif
    astorrs wrote: »
    Oh come on, didn't you like cobbling together some script that used MFCOM to publish the same apps on different servers or ensure the settings were all the same...? Now you'll have to leave work on time. icon_lol.gif

LOL, I did wrote a little C# application do do some config retrieval but did grab a couple of third party apps to do the rest.

Worker Groups addresses my problems with XenApp servers being delivered via PvS and the affiliated application and policy management once online. Plugged in to a well structured AD the process is so much more fool proof.

You up for some 1Y1-A18 action astorrs?
    OK, I've just booked it for the 29th. It's your fault if I fail! :D (joke)

Seriously though, this will be my first Citrix exam and I'm going to treat this as a Trial Exam. If I do fail then at least I have learnt from the experience and I'll know my weak points.
    OK, I've just booked it for the 29th. It's your fault if I fail! :D (joke)

A$$ PADDING APPLIED icon_lol.gif
    Seriously though, this will be my first Citrix exam and I'm going to treat this as a Trial Exam. If I do fail then at least I have learnt from the experience and I'll know my weak points.

This is best way to view it, its free and at least it gives you a taste of things to come. Not only that but you will be able to add your input during the exam and assist getting things ironed out.

Good luck and let us know how you find it.
    Watched Turn on. Tune in. - Citrix TV earlier today, its got some good content on migrations.

Sound quality seems very poor but the content was good.
    Well my exam is scheduled for tomorrow and I'm a bit disappointed in the amount of studying I was able to get in. I'm hoping today is a slow day at work so I can do some last minute cramming in.
  • packetboypacketboy Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ahh I missed this exam somehow as well... Is it only available until the end of July??
    I just logged into Vue and they need to "Update My Profile" to add Citrix to it!! Which will prolly take a day as well...

Ive got Xenapp 6 already running at home into my Netscaler VPX VM.. Xenapp 6 is awesome.. I love the powershell cmdlets as well !!

Packetboy.
    Just found a test site in London docklands opened on weekends! Booked for Saturday July 31st at 9:30am..

Time to hit those URLs from above cheers Stupidboy!
    packetboy wrote: »
    Just found a test site in London docklands opened on weekends! Booked for Saturday July 31st at 9:30am..

Time to hit those URLs from above cheers Stupidboy!

Good luck dude, but I don't think you wont be thanking me after 4 hours of your Saturday are in a test centre ;)
    Well my exam is scheduled for tomorrow and I'm a bit disappointed in the amount of studying I was able to get in. I'm hoping today is a slow day at work so I can do some last minute cramming in.

Good luck icon_study.gif

A colleague looked like he had gone ten rounds with a heavy weight boxer when he finished this exam yesterday icon_sad.gif Poor sod made less sense than usual for hours afterwards icon_wink.gif
    Yea im defo not really looking foward to that Sat morning :)

Stupidboy does citrix do an exam blueprint like say vmware listing everything you can be tested on? All I can find is this? :

Description

Basic Administration for Citrix XenApp 6 (exam A1icon_cool.gif is divided into the following sections:
    • Understanding the Citrix Architecture Licensing and Installing XenApp
    • Configuring XenApp Sessions
    • Configuring XenApp Policies
    • Publishing Applications and Content
    • Additional Management
    • Monitoring and Managing Performance
    • Configuring Printing
    • Enabling and Securing Web Access to Published Applications and Content
    • Troubleshooting
    Pretty broad really...

Cheers,

Packetboy.
    packetboy wrote: »
    Stupidboy does citrix do an exam blueprint like say vmware listing everything you can be tested on?

Normally there are Prep Guides for each exam, however, these are not published until the exam is released (most of the information is dependant on the beta results). The Citrix Exam Prep Guides are a great recourse for future Citrix exams ... but there is nothing for betas ;)

EDIT - Heres an example Prep Guide (for Provisioning Server 5) http://www.citrixtraining.com/uploadfiles/1/courses/A06%20Exam%20Prep%20Guide.pdf so as you know what to expect in future, but my god Citrix Training site is slow tonight.
    Well just got done taking the exam and I was not expecting that. Obviously I can't say much about the exam because of the NDA, but wow... talking about a mental drain. I wont know how I did for 6-8 weeks, but I can't imagin I passed. I'm not upset by it because I used this opporunity as a learning experience for the real exam when it comes out. Hopefully by then there will be more studying material.
    Well just got done taking the exam and I was not expecting that. Obviously I can't say much about the exam because of the NDA, but wow... talking about a mental drain. I wont know how I did for 6-8 weeks, but I can't imagin I passed. I'm not upset by it because I used this opporunity as a learning experience for the real exam when it comes out. Hopefully by then there will be more studying material.

Well done for stepping up, Citrix betas are tough.

I hope you were able to add some feedback and help shape the final exam.

Are you glad you gave it a go?
    During a "name that port" session with a colleague I can across this great document from Citrix that I have never seen before.

I've printed up a couple of copies for the those attempting this beta in my office, so they have port number committed to memory icon_wink.gif
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    During a "name that port" session with a colleague I can across this great document from Citrix that I have never seen before.

I've printed up a couple of copies for the those attempting this beta in my office, so they have port number committed to memory icon_wink.gif

Thanks. I see some flash cards in my future.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    Well done for stepping up, Citrix betas are tough.

I hope you were able to add some feedback and help shape the final exam.

Are you glad you gave it a go?

Thanks, I did my best and ultimately I'm glad I took it because it gave me a lot of insight what they are looking for. Now I'll be able to better prepare myself for the normal exam whenever that is released.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Has a final release date been announced? I might have to do another XenApp exam before the end of the year and would rather do v6 then v5.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    Has a final release date been announced? I might have to do another XenApp exam before the end of the year and would rather do v6 then v5.

Not as far as I know. I would expect to see a date towards the end of August.