Options

Contract job wrapping up in 5 weeks.

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I've been working my contract job since mid may I've enjoyed the company they've been good to me and had a good time. I haven't been told what the final date is but my badge has a date that is a Friday and there is nothing planned past that date.

I'm almost sure its a one and done thing and that's cool but what should I ask for when I leave other than ask to use them as a reference or is that too much? I've already spoken with my recruiter so covered there. about him starting to look for work, and I look for work in the evening every night

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Although im not a contractor, nor have ever been one, the guys at our place always seem to ask straight up when the date is approaching. i think its best for both sides because if they wanted to keep you and you accepted something else then they'll have to go through the whole process of someone else coming in, getting up to speed and so on. Where on your side if they dont intend to renew then you would obviously want to know so you can find another role.

Maybe a contractor could chip in with experiance here...
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    I just finished a 1 month contract on July 2nd. The official end date was July 1st and I didn't know it was over till the afternoon of the 2nd. I asked about references a week prior and they said employees of the contracting company could not give reference, but other employees of the contractor could. Thing is most had the same job title so it didn't pan out well for references.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.
  • Options
    ConfigConfig Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm kind of in a similar position, my short term contract is coming close to an end and my manager hasn't mention anything about it, not really getting a good vibe, I was so eager to start here I never got/signed a contract so I have no clue on the exact date, think I will give my recruiter a call soon.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Config wrote: »
    I'm kind of in a similar position, my short term contract is coming close to an end and my manager hasn't mention anything about it, not really getting a good vibe, I was so eager to start here I never got/signed a contract so I have no clue on the exact date, think I will give my recruiter a call soon.

You never signed a contract? imo, thats a very risky thing to do. You should have the legalities in place so you know where all parties stand.

Look at it this way, do you want to come to the last day to realise you havent got a job the next? probably not - so just ask and this will allow you to make other arrangements hopefully. If they dont give an answer in a decent time frame then i would get looking anyway, i personally would rather have work lined up elsewhere. But like i say, im not a contractor so this is only my opinion.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking