LPIC-1 - 101 Exam

oberatixxoberatixx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone!! I'm new to the boards and relatively new to the field. I'm currently preparing for my LPI 101 exam and was wondering how hard it is? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LinuxG33kLinuxG33k Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's not all that bad. The objectives cover basic commands and system services that come as part of a base install....think coreutils package.

Downside is that the questions require intimate knowledge of uncommon switches to virtually all basic commands (cp, mv, rpm, yum, apt-get, etc). So even an experienced user will likely need to perform some manpage perusing.

Once you feel prepared, as a last step, look over the objectives as listed on LPI's site. Spout off everything you know about each objective as if teaching someone. Once you get to an objective you aren't comfortable teaching then study up and repeat. Worked for me, ymmv. :)

Also, you may want to wait till later this month and take the CompTIA Linux+ instead. Supposedly you will earn both the Linux+ and the LPIC-1 at the same time. CompTIA's upcoming Linux+ is in partnership with LPI, which is pretty cool (missed it by a month myself).
  • oberatixxoberatixx Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LinuxG33k wrote: »
    It's not all that bad. The objectives cover basic commands and system services that come as part of a base install....think coreutils package.

Downside is that the questions require intimate knowledge of uncommon switches to virtually all basic commands (cp, mv, rpm, yum, apt-get, etc). So even an experienced user will likely need to perform some manpage perusing.

Once you feel prepared, as a last step, look over the objectives as listed on LPI's site. Spout off everything you know about each objective as if teaching someone. Once you get to an objective you aren't comfortable teaching then study up and repeat. Worked for me, ymmv. :)

Also, you may want to wait till later this month and take the CompTIA Linux+ instead. Supposedly you will earn both the Linux+ and the LPIC-1 at the same time. CompTIA's upcoming Linux+ is in partnership with LPI, which is pretty cool (missed it by a month myself).

If I go the CompTIA Linux+ route, would I still be able to qualify for the Novell CLA?
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    oberatixx wrote: »
    Hi everyone!! I'm new to the boards and relatively new to the field. I'm currently preparing for my LPI 101 exam and was wondering how hard it is? Thanks in advance.
    Depends how new you are to Linux (or linux unknown to you). The thing with 101 is even if you've been using linux for your personal computing for years you'll still be unprepared since it is an exam not tied to any particular distro and therefore will test you on solutions that will work on any linux. And most of the time such solutions are provided by command-line utilities. So the more you use command-line and read man pages, the more prepared you are for the exam.
    The coreutils man page had been one of the pivot points for me when I was preparing for the exam as well as the wealth of literature on www.tldp.org (The Linux Documentation Project webpage, but material is somewhat dated though). As well as trying to answer questions about problems that other users have on many linux forums out there, pay particular attention to problems during boot.
    Pay attention to exam objectives and stick to them closely. That will also increase your chances for pass.
    Once you feel ready to take an exam simulator, hit the Penguin Tutor (PenguinTutor - Linux Tutorials and LPI Certification Practice Exams Quiz Start Page), free, web-based exam simulator for LPIC-1 and 2 certs updated to the latest objectives as laid out by LPI. Even if you find other exam sims for 101 that are dated, try them out- it'll show you your weak spots.
    If you aren't constrained by a deadline, the Linux From Scratch project is one that you just shouldn't miss on: you will see what's under the hood more than with any other distro. That will prepare you not just for 101 but I think for any other Linux cert out there.
    There are books written as guides for LPI exams 101 and 102, but they can't be your sole prep material. Not only that few of them are updated to the new objectives, but have flaws that may cost you dearly at exam time...
  • hanklianghankliang Registered Users Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I also want to know how hard it is. Find that although I familial with basic command but still will make mistake at exise. So I think it is neccesary to take more exsise and perusing manpage.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hankliang wrote: »
    I also want to know how hard it is. Find that although I familial with basic command but still will make mistake at exise. So I think it is neccesary to take more exsise and perusing manpage.

Spell check.

I think that it is going to be difficult but doable. I plan to knockout both test by September or so. This is a good thread for potential study material
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/lpi-rhce-sair/55045-lpic-series-info-resources.html

I think that if you can put in a few hours a day, you could get them done in a few months.
  • appropriatorappropriator Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IT Exam Practice is a portal for online mock exams that is built and maintained by a network of volunteers. LPI 101/102 exams are also available - IT Exam Practice - Home
  • JalvinJalvin Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

I have been studying for LPIC1, 101 , 102

Is the materiel the same in the Linux+ exam?

Would it not just be better doing the linux+ to get the both of them or is the materiel much different???

JG
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As of right now, the NEW Linux+ is the same as the current LPIC-1. The OLD Linux+ will still be available until October I think. You can take the NEW Linux+ and get the LPIC-1.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SephStorm wrote: »
    anyone have an answer about the Novel CLA question?

A better question is why would anyone still be using Novell icon_lol.gif
  • ysfsearcherysfsearcher Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi i'm Yocef from Morocco
    Preaparing actually for my Linux LPIC 1 exam
    i'm using suse ? is it a good linux distribution

thx in advanceicon_thumright.gif
    A better question is why would anyone still be using Novell icon_lol.gif
    Not everyone's network is Linux- only.
    Suse is good Yocef, just stick to the command- line and do less content consuming and more administration. You could also virtualize Ubuntu for the sake of studying apt package management.
    SephStorm wrote: »
    anyone have an answer about the Novel CLA question?
    You'll get CLA after completion of LPIC-1, you'll have to apply for it once your candidate status on LPI's website is updated to reflect that you are certified. Process is instantaneous.