Interview Questions for Network Support Tech

jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
I said to myself that I would never do this but I find myself doing now.. icon_redface.gif

I have a phone interview tomorrow for a network support technician position. I'm not going to say that I'm just nervous but I like to know what I'll be going into. Does anyone have any idea the type of questions that might be asked? The job description is below.

Network Technical Support

Brief Description of the Position:
Diagnoses and resolves network-layer issues related to passive and active
network hardware, servers, IP address problems, network connection problems,
and network-centered system configuration issues
Install, terminate and troubleshoot various network cable

One last question; what is the average salary for someone working in a NOC? lol. Not talking specifics but a ball park number...

(already knows someone will say $0-$1,000,000...lol)

Joey
Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Well with a CCNA you should be OK. However, it seems like I cannot have an interview for a Network position without being asked about the OSI model and common port numbers. Everything else after that is a free for all.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    *peeks back in thread*

So yeah; I've earned myself a face to face interview. lol

I really don't know what to expect from this interview. And it's even more so crazy because I have 2 months IT experience. I mean, I am very good at what I do but now I'm actually moving into the area of what I really want to do (networking) and I just don't want to fudge up.

*trying to shrug the nervousness off*...
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jahsoul wrote: »
    *peeks back in thread*

So yeah; I've earned myself a face to face interview. lol

I really don't know what to expect from this interview. And it's even more so crazy because I have 2 months IT experience. I mean, I am very good at what I do but now I'm actually moving into the area of what I really want to do (networking) and I just don't want to fudge up.

*trying to shrug the nervousness off*...

I will tell you that I would ask questions about IP address and ask about subnets and vlans and common questions about switching.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
    To add to my confusion, I was just told an hour ago that I was just promoted to a Level 2 Tech....LOL
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the promotion and good luck on the interview.
    You must be impressing your bosses to be getting a promotion this quickly.
    BTW Roll Tide
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Thanks! Today has been crazy. I got promoted, interview tomorrow, and a recruiter for Northomp Grumman hit me up. I'm just going to take all of it in stride...lol..

And yes, War Eagle!
    OK...

The interview today was cool. It was a 4 part interview, with HR, 2 Technical Interviews, and then the VP of Operations. They also gave me a detailed description of the job. It won't be the NOC.. icon_sad.gif

I would be doing field support for the Montgomery Public School System. So I will be dealing more with switching, cabling, and things of that nature. They told me the NOC usually deals more with the routing aspect and will remote in if I can't handle the problem on site. So at the end, it worked out..lol.

Then they proceeded to tell me that it was a Cisco partner and everything that Cisco comes out with, I get to play with it and they are going to provide training and pay for all of my Cisco certs. (Hope they have this in place when I attempt the CCIE..lol).

I think it went well. The VP straight up said, "you know what. I like you.." I hope that's a good sign..
  • ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    loooks good bro
    Looks good!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    I know that it has only been 2 business days but this is the most nerve racking wait for a job I've ever experienced, in my life. Is it an unwritten rule that say I can't call after 2 days to get a status check? icon_redface.gif

*sigh @ the anticipation*
    *knowing that most don't care but screw it...lol*

They sent an offer today! It seemed like forever and she actually had 2 interviews today but I got the call and email. All is well in the universe..

*stepping into the world of networking*
    Congrats!!
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    nice work! congrats on your new job.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jahsoul wrote: »
    *knowing that most don't care but screw it...lol*

They sent an offer today! It seemed like forever and she actually had 2 interviews today but I got the call and email. All is well in the universe..

*stepping into the world of networking*

Haha much longer than 2 days it seemed you had to wait! I'm in a similar boat myself right now. Hopefully it turns out well for me too!

Congrats!
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chmorin wrote: »
    Haha much longer than 2 days it seemed you had to wait! I'm in a similar boat myself right now. Hopefully it turns out well for me too!

Congrats!
    I know right. I was getting a little worried. I'm just excited about all the Cisco gear that I get to work with. I just might ask if I could "borrow" a few 3560s for the lab...lol. That and can I go ahead and get my CCNA:V material... icon_thumright.gif

And everything will turn out good. Hopefully, they don't take as long..lol
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    WDE! Congrats and good luck with the new gig!
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre