Options

Hi from Turtlegirl

TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post as I haven't been here in years, so please forgive me if I have posted in wrong area. I don't think many people remember me, but I was seriously interested in security at the time. I didn't end up in security but enjoyed getting all my qualifications. Just wanted to know if all the same faces were here and what everyone has been up to?
If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello Turtlegirl:

Are you still studying for the C|EH or trying to get into security?
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is "UK" far from Texas?

Welcome back,

MS
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Always good to see an old TE member come back :D

Welcome back to the forums!
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Who shall be the first to proposition her?

*Eagerly waits to see how this thread pans out*
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GAngel wrote: »
    Who shall be the first to proposition her?

Haha. Welcome back to TE.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome back!

Hey you guys show some respect....
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi TurtleGirl, pleased to meet you!

Please forgive me for glancing at your name and thinking it was TurtleGirdle. icon_redface.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TURTLEGIRL wrote: »
    Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post as I haven't been here in years, so please forgive me if I have posted in wrong area. I don't think many people remember me, but I was seriously interested in security at the time. I didn't end up in security but enjoyed getting all my qualifications. Just wanted to know if all the same faces were here and what everyone has been up to?

Wow. 2004. I signed up in 2007 I think. Maybe only a few of the people from back when you joined are still around but welcome back anyway particularly as you are from this side of the pond. There are a few UK people about, Ireland, some from Europe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    GAngel wrote: »

I'll take a stab at playing match-maker.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Of course Webmaster icon_wm.gif is still around.

And Russ still checks in when he's not playing shuffleboard at the Senior Center.

Ketron is off writing several books, but JDMurray -- who's still alive and kicking -- is covering the Security Forums and showing the Security Certifications who's the boss.

Plantwiz is alive and well and still helping the noobs get off on the right foot with their CompTIA Certifications.

Did you have a different username before Turtlegirl? I remember someone changing usernames back in the "old days" -- but when I try to remember that far back I start get the urge to play shuffleboard. icon_lol.gif

It is fun when some of the old/original crowd stop buy for a visit. icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Wait. We have female members here?
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    phantasm wrote: »
    Wait. We have female members here?

I was thinking the same thing
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome back, good luck on the next exam.
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, it's always been T.G. (username) I've not changed it. I ended up as a video games journalist, which is far from security. Due to finances and circumstances I didn't go through with my CEH, even though I wanted to. I barely touch security now and actually miss it so much. The qualifications and reading of all them security books gave me a real insight and getting my qualifications was great.

It's really good to see some well known faces. The video games industry keeps me very busy and allows me to meet new people, celebrities, and new experiences.

I've often wondered what everyone got up to after gaining their qualifcations, so came onto the forums to have a peek.

Did anyone get into their dream job through gaining their security qualifications?

If anyone wants to stay in contact, I have Twitter. (please don't say, Oh god...not twitter..lol)
  • Options
    DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    im studying for security now
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's really one cool domain to be in I'm sure it's much nicer than security jobs. Welcome back I'm new here but it's really good to be here.
  • Options
    408girl408girl Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm fairly new here as well... and I'm currently finishing CCNA Exploration I... it's an online class, but as far as I can tell most of the students are male which is to be expected... so I'm glad to find another girl out there ;)
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    408girl wrote: »
    I'm fairly new here as well... and I'm currently finishing CCNA Exploration I... it's an online class, but as far as I can tell most of the students are male which is to be expected... so I'm glad to find another girl out there ;)

Sadly minorities in IT are few in far between. I've had 5 IT jobs and I'm usually the only black guy there. At my weekday job, I am only black male in the company and at my weekend job I'm the only black male in the company. I usually see the same kind of thing for women. I've probably worked with 250 different IT pros and 90-95% were white males. That doesn't bother me at all though. We usually all have the same taste in music ( I like rock/metal SOAD etc), we're all IT oriented, and I've never had a problem.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, it's always been T.G. (username) I've not changed it. I ended up as a video games journalist, which is far from security. Due to finances and circumstances I didn't go through with my CEH, even though I wanted to. I barely touch security now and actually miss it so much. The qualifications and reading of all them security books gave me a real insight and getting my qualifications was great.

It's really good to see some well known faces. The video games industry keeps me very busy and allows me to meet new people, celebrities, and new experiences.

I've often wondered what everyone got up to after gaining their qualifcations, so came onto the forums to have a peek.

Did anyone get into their dream job through gaining their security qualifications?

If anyone wants to stay in contact, I have Twitter. (please don't say, Oh god...not twitter..lol)

Video games? My brother is a Creative Director for Mythic. I imagine you must be busy, I know he certainly is!

Paul Barnett on YouTube - Warhammer Forums
  • Options
    yeah, it keeps me very busy. With E3, just gone with all its news it was hectic to say the least.

Spent some time with Channel 4, Microsoft, Jason Bradbury, and Rio, whatever his name is, footballer.

It's a really interesting job to be in, but I still wanted to be in security at the end of the day. Good Luck to those you made it!!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It sounds as if you've "made it" but just in a slightly different field.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    filkenjitsufilkenjitsu Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yeah, it keeps me very busy. With E3, just gone with all its news it was hectic to say the least.

Spent some time with Channel 4, Microsoft, Jason Bradbury, and Rio, whatever his name is, footballer.

It's a really interesting job to be in, but I still wanted to be in security at the end of the day. Good Luck to those you made it!!

I think I remember you, sorry, I just kind of hopped on these boards from time to time over the years, but your screen name is very familiar.

Sounds like working in the VG industry is pretty interesting, I am a Telecom junkie myself. My wife loves art and practices renaissance style art but is a junkie for any kind of beautiful art or graphics in video games.
    CISSP, CCNA SP
    Bachelors of Science in Telecommunications - Mt. Sierra College
    Masters of Networking and Communications Management, Focus in Wireless - Keller
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hey Turtlegirl!

Of course I remember you! Good to see you back :)

Since we last talked (4/5 years ago???)

I made MCSE, MCTS (twice over), CCNA, CCNP... and still knocking out the exams ;)

I'm getting married this year :)

Shame you never made it to Security, but I bet you will one day. I always knew you'd get to where you wanted

Dave
  • Options
    lol@ your icon. Love the IT Crowd. Yeah. We've not spoken in years, although I still have you on my MSN, just get too side tracked on there. Well done with all your qualifications, you've done amazingly well. I knew you had it in you. Yeah, things didn't quite pan out quite as I imagined, but I've had some incredibly great experiences, love the work I'm in and have met some great people.

At the end of the day, Security is where I wanted to be, but financially it was too difficult. I did go on to to get my NVQ in providing security services level 1 and wanted to go further. The course I was on actually offered free lessons and I passed my exam with flying colours, but investigating further they said they could no longer help me with further lessons. I was seriously gutted after receiving my certificate as there are so many levels I could of reached. This was done through a company provided by the government. I can't remember what they were called now icon_sad.gif