Taking CISSP Test in August 2010

lfilomenolfilomeno Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Greetings. New to the forum but not to the industry. I am getting ready to sit for the CISSP on August 08, 2010. Anxiety has started to settle down to say the least. I had been preparing for the test for three months now. I have been using the following study aides:

1. SH AIO 5h Edition
2. Dummies most recent edition
3. Prep Logic Videos, test question engine, and videos
4. Carnegie Mellon VTE CISSP Prep Version 2 (Live Course Video Reruns)
5. This very fine forum

I work as the ISSO for a US Government Military C-LAN. Need to become DoD 8570 compliant before October 2010 hence the need to get certified to validate my knowledge in INFOSEC Concepts and procedures. I took a break yesterday from studying and I felt so bad that I went back to the test engines and CBT’s!icon_study.gif

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It looks like you have enough materials there. All you need to do is put in the study time. I'd also suggest reading through the CISSP forum postings at www.cccure.org. They'll give you a good idea of how to interpret the subject matter of the exam items themselves.
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    lfilomeno,

I have all of the same materials that you have to include the VTE site stuff. I was sent the CISSP v2 DVD to Afghanistan by CMU for free. I guess they really want me to pass lol.

If you can get your hands on Shon's 10 DVD series that might help you even more. I have them and I'm learning more from them than any other material. But as JD says in his blog, you have to know how you learn best and the videos do the most for me.

Since I'm on full time IA/CND duty, I don't have much time to study at work, (which most of our guys do) so I study 3-4 hours after work every day. I hope you pass, at least then I'll know you had enough material lol.
  • lfilomenolfilomeno Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hustlin_moe20:

Hope you are well and safe under the circunstances. I am inteh final approach of my CISSP test taking journey. I am a reservist (IT in the Navy) and work full time as the SIPR ISSO for the FED GOVERNMENT. I have been taking all the practice tests I can get my hands on and reviewing my weakest topics. I am very anxious because of the closeness of the test taking date. Need to relax. Taking the test on August 09. Wish you sucess as well.
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would take a look at (ISC)2's own study questions via Studiscope. There is a code in the front of the (ISC)2 CBK Review book... I don't have mine as I let someone borrow it. They give you 20 questions for free that are retired from older exams. Very good resource for getting familiar with questions and logic.

Best wishes on the exam...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
    lfilomeno wrote: »
    hustlin_moe20:

Hope you are well and safe under the circunstances. I am inteh final approach of my CISSP test taking journey. I am a reservist (IT in the Navy) and work full time as the SIPR ISSO for the FED GOVERNMENT. I have been taking all the practice tests I can get my hands on and reviewing my weakest topics. I am very anxious because of the closeness of the test taking date. Need to relax. Taking the test on August 09. Wish you sucess as well.

Thanks, I try to stay as safe as I can. I'm actually working with the Navy right now. I work with an ITC, IT1, and a SCPO. They're also reserve and from some southern states. I don't take my exam until Nov, 6 so I have some time yet. Good luck to you in the next weeks. Hopefully your results are favorable.
    Well, today is the day. I am taking my test in a couple of hours. Very anxious, nervous. Have restrained myself to browse tru my study guides. Once I come out of the test, I will post my experience.
    Well, I took the test after putting it away for several years. I was very anxious to start. I opened the exam booklet, and boom! My mind went blank! I could not recognized any of the questions and\or answers! Took my time and kept on reading and answering what immediately came to mind. At the end, I felt that everything I studied for the past 6 months did not came in the test! I left the test site feeling I flunk it! Many things I studied were not asked in the test (like fire suppresion systems, classes of fires, heavy telecomm stuff, etc..) This is no technical test, it is a test oriented to the Business Security Manager (CISSP to be). This exam is grueling, it will tax your brain like no other test you have taken, it will make no sense at times, I felt totally brain locked at the question 160 mairk. But at the end, I understood why this test is the "benchmark" of all security certifications. Even though I am already "compliant" to recent DoD IA standards (got Security+, CEH, and CNDA), as an ISSO I owe myself to become a CISSP. My eyes hurt, my back hurt, my brain cells are reconstructing back very slowly. But in 6 weeks, I am confident that I will be joining the elite group of CISSP's around the world. Even though I feel I fail the test. So help me GOD.
  • CERTS4LADYCERTS4LADY Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wish you the best!!! I think I will take the SSCP route first
    Wishing u the best on your exam yesterday!!!!!
  • redmondredmond Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How do i get hold of CMU stuff for CISSP preparation?
    lfilomeno,

I have all of the same materials that you have to include the VTE site stuff. I was sent the CISSP v2 DVD to Afghanistan by CMU for free. I guess they really want me to pass lol.

If you can get your hands on Shon's 10 DVD series that might help you even more. I have them and I'm learning more from them than any other material. But as JD says in his blog, you have to know how you learn best and the videos do the most for me.

Since I'm on full time IA/CND duty, I don't have much time to study at work, (which most of our guys do) so I study 3-4 hours after work every day. I hope you pass, at least then I'll know you had enough material lol.
    redmond wrote: »
    How do i get hold of CMU stuff for CISSP preparation?

1. You have to be eligible for a VTE account first. Check requirements at the below link.

https://www.vte.cert.org/vteweb/RequestAccess/RequestAccess.aspx

DISA 8570 - Members of the U.S. Dept of Defense Information Assurance community are eligible for access to VTE training material at no cost under a sponsorship program funded by DISA. This program provides participants access to a suite of over fifteen courses in IA, forensics, Cisco, and prep courses for 8570 certifications such as (ISC)2 ® CISSP® Prep and CompTIA® Security+™ Prep.

2. Sign up for a VTE account using a .gov or .mil email address and wait for an approval email.

3. After approval, request an offline copy of whatever course you would like by emailing vte-support@cert.org with your .gov/.mil email address and a DVD or DVDs will be sent to the mailing address you provide free of charge.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Moe,

Have you used any of the materials there? I haven't yet but I have looked at a few, just haven't had the time to go through 50 hours of material. Just wondering if it's a great resource or a so-so resource.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
    colemic wrote: »
    Moe,

Have you used any of the materials there? I haven't yet but I have looked at a few, just haven't had the time to go through 50 hours of material. Just wondering if it's a great resource or a so-so resource.

I sure have. I've been through the whole CISSP prep course and CCNA Security stuff. I ordered the DVDs since I'm in Afghan and throughput comes and goes. VTE sends the DVDs free of charge. I believe getting information from different resources will be my key to success. Some of the CMU/VTE guys explain things in a different light than Shon Harris. And on the other hand, Shon instructs her way, which is also informative. I've learned a lot from both video series. I recommend VTE to anyone wanting free CBT materials. VTE is a different approach to the same material that industry standard INFOSEC instructors like Shon and Clement teach.

As for so-so or great, I'd rate it as good, and well worth the 50+ hours spent staring at my screen lol.
    I am looking at the site now, where do you go to request the DVDs? They would be great since we have limited bandwidth at work and only dial up at home... O, the joys of working for the Army!
    I am looking at the site now, where do you go to request the DVDs? They would be great since we have limited bandwidth at work and only dial up at home... O, the joys of working for the Army!

From my above post...

3. After approval, request an offline copy of whatever course you would like by emailing vte-support@cert.org with your .gov/.mil email address and a DVD or DVDs will be sent to the mailing address you provide free of charge.
    oy, maybe I should read a little better, I am bad about skimming... Thanks for the info, with DIACAP we have about 75-100 people that will need to meet 8570 requirements, this can really help us out.

You get a gold star for today. :)
    I agree with Moe. The courses are good. If you combine them with other study materials (AIO, ETC) you will end up with a very robust knowledge of teh CISSP 10 domains. I am trying to stay away from anything related to CISSP since I do not want to sufer from "Exam Results Anxiety"!:D
    lfilomeno wrote: »
    I agree with Moe. The courses are good. If you combine them with other study materials (AIO, ETC) you will end up with a very robust knowledge of teh CISSP 10 domains. I am trying to stay away from anything related to CISSP since I do not want to sufer from "Exam Results Anxiety"!:D

I wish I did have Exam Results Anxiety. I still have months until I take mine. Anyone ever had 'Dragged Out for 6 Months Anxiety'? lol.
    I wish I did have Exam Results Anxiety. I still have months until I take mine. Anyone ever had 'Dragged Out for 6 Months Anxiety'? lol.
    No, but I had the "My CISSP exam date was canceled and the next exam in my area was 55 days later" blues.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    No, but I had the "My CISSP exam date was canceled and the next exam in my area was 55 days later" blues.

Yep that's a bad one too. They need a cure for this stuff, something other than Vodka lol.
    Yep that's a bad one too. They need a cure for this stuff, something other than Vodka lol.
    My initial reaction to the exam cancellation was similar to what's in your avatar. icon_lol.gif
    My initial reaction to the exam cancellation was similar to what's in your avatar. icon_lol.gif

Anyone have any knowledge of where I can find some mock exam questions like studiscope with that price?

I would have been RAGING, I had to fly over 4500 miles to take mine... so I pretty much had one shot at.
    I would have been RAGING, I had to fly over 4500 miles to take mine... so I pretty much had one shot at.

I'm flying from Afghanistan so I'm in the same boat with you. I would have been on fire.