CCIE wannabees

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
Well I thought I would put up a thread that may be a sticky. Essentially anyone with a written pass who is fully engaged in lab prep please let yourself be known here. This can be a good thread for those actively working on lab prep and to swap notes on workbooks, resources and general banter on lab preparations. It will also be useful for observers with CCIE aspirations. I encourage everyone to keep their own CCIE lab thread/blogs going. This will be an officers mess to exchange ideas, keep people motivated and workgroup.

I can swap ICQ number to students if they send me a PM.

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ColbyG wrote: »
    wassup..

Welcome aboard ColbyG. Anybody else?
  • KelkinKelkin Member Posts: 261 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im on the bandwagon.. :)
    Kelkin wrote: »
    Im on the bandwagon.. :)

Welcome Kelvin.

Anymore for anymore?
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Hola, folks.

Passed the written last month and now using Narbik Kocharians Advanced 2.0 for
    my Volume I prep.

Right off the bat:
    I have to go À la carte for Vol. II. I looked at Netmaster (Cisco 360), but I hear they're
    a little dated. Any thoughts compared to Netmaster vs INE vs IPX?

Thanks in adv.
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • qplayedqplayed Member Posts: 303
    haven't taken written yet, can you guys give some advice on study materials? Someone had mentioned to me that all I needed was the Exam guide for the written. In anycase I'm finishingup NP tomorrow(hopefully) with ISCW.
    If you cannot express in a sentence or two what
    you intend to get across, then it is not focused
    well enough.
    —Charles Osgood, TV commentator
  • NuulNuul Member Posts: 158
    Reporting for duty.
    Lab Date: 8/12/10.. ACK!
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm going to continue to be a wannabee wannabee for a little bit longer :) Plan on taking the voice written @ the end of the year.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    Here. But not really. I check this site a few times a week and probably miss a lot of good material. I had to reschedule my lab exam to:

Sept 27th, 2010 at RTP

Due to my small business that I started. Now that it is in full stride and pretty much done, I am back to the trenches and almost done with INE Vol 2 labs. I hope to get all Vol 3 speed labs done before the test date and then go back over some IP Security features. I feel pretty confident in troubleshooting, so we'll see what happens.

Speed is Key!

Back to the grind...
    Here. But not really. I check this site a few times a week and probably miss a lot of good material. I had to reschedule my lab exam to:

Sept 27th, 2010 at RTP

Due to my small business that I started. Now that it is in full stride and pretty much done, I am back to the trenches and almost done with INE Vol 2 labs. I hope to get all Vol 3 speed labs done before the test date and then go back over some IP Security features. I feel pretty confident in troubleshooting, so we'll see what happens.

Speed is Key!

Back to the grind...

Very true. You need to get the hours in, regularly and almost every day. Particularly the 3 - 4 hour sessions if you can find the time. That's always been a struggle for me. Good luck with it.
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Turgon,

Is the 7/9/2001 date of your CCIE written pass date a typo?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think he means he's done the written in 2001, 2007 and 2009.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Essendon wrote: »
    I think he means he's done the written in 2001, 2007 and 2009.

That's right I have cleared it three times. After the 2001 pass in November I studied for the lab on and off until March 2003 but work and life got in the way. I have been steady on lab prep since May 2007 although usually didn't have enough time to put a lot of rack hours in each week. Getting there now though so should test late this year or in the Spring although work is taking all my time and energy at present.

It looks like a couple of CCIE threads on the boards are dying now so it will be good to have some company. Finding the hours is a killer though. Tough track..tough track.
  • burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    I'm still reading my stack o' books for the written. That recommended reading list is bananas.

But I'm hoping the more time I put into the written the better the knowledge will translate to the lab.
    Lab Date: 8/12/10.. ACK!

Update: FAILED.. ACK!

Time-Management Killed me.. develop a plan of attack and stick to it cause you dont have time to waste..
    Update: FAILED.. ACK!

Time-Management Killed me.. develop a plan of attack and stick to it cause you dont have time to waste..

Thats why its one of the most dumped tests out there. Fierce time pressure. You must get through the first half of the exam economically on time or you have too much to do. Its a hard test but doable, stick at it.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Im a recovering CCIEAHOLIC, but I tend to fall back into it from time to time...

R/S written passed in summer of '08. Voice written probably next spring (to renew some certs), and who knows about labs.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Voice written probably next spring (to renew some certs)

GT-Rob are you jumping straight into the CCIE voice without the CCVP?
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    jovan88 wrote: »
    GT-Rob are you jumping straight into the CCIE voice without the CCVP?

I likely won't ever do the CCIE Voice lab to be honest. The written would just be if I felt more comfortable than R&S written, since I have not touched MPLS, IPv6, etc, in so long.

But, on that note, I will be doing the CCVP this winter I think.

Sitting in the CCIE voice bootcamp with INE this week. Day one over, very well setup so far, and lots of great engineers in the class. Really wish I took something like this before going into the R&S lab, phew! Considering the bootcamps are hardly much more than an attempt at the lab, and is easily 'worth' the same as sitting the lab once (maybe more?), I really suggest going to one if you can.
  • CCIE2BCCIE2B Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote: »
    Welcome aboard ColbyG. Anybody else?

i'm here and was putting off the CCIE for a long time now. I now have plenty of funds to put towards funding my CCIE and have given up all of my hobbies to be able to do this. I know the commitment it takes by reading posts and now Turgon's posts. I bought a Tripp-lite rack and started piecing together the routetrs, cabling, and switches. It has been fund thus far but am seriously rusty with the technologies as I do not use them at work.
  • m.ouamerm.ouamer Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm Studying for the CCIE RS.
    CCIE2B wrote: »
    i'm here and was putting off the CCIE for a long time now. I now have plenty of funds to put towards funding my CCIE and have given up all of my hobbies to be able to do this. I know the commitment it takes by reading posts and now Turgon's posts. I bought a Tripp-lite rack and started piecing together the routetrs, cabling, and switches. It has been fund thus far but am seriously rusty with the technologies as I do not use them at work.

Good luck with all that. Try adding a counter in your sig with written study hours.
  • bathmonsterbathmonster Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Count me in CCIE VOICE

Just got my own lab in shape and trying to drag my lazy ass into gear
    Roll call!

How many wannabees are stil at it now we hit 2011?
  • killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm still at it. My hours haven't increased much cause work is getting pretty hectic this month. Will try to catch up around Feb. Still planning to take the written in March.
  • reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    I'm still at it. Written is due tuesday and after that I'm starting with the workbooks.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    I've decided I'm just going straight for the written the moment I've passed the CCIP. I had other plans but I'd rather not delay on this. So while I can't officially join this thread yet, I will hopefully be able to in a few months time.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1