Options

How's the quality of those eBay $10 128M memory

FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
for 1760/26xxXM/36xx? They are dirty cheap (even w/ 1-year warranty from the 3rd-party manufacturers....) but I don't want to "burn"my gateways. A year ago I bought a VWIC-2MFT-T1. None of my routers detects it, LOL.

Thanks for your experience!

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Flyingput wrote: »
    for 1760/26xxXM/36xx? They are dirty cheap (even w/ 1-year warranty from the 3rd-party manufacturers....) but I don't want to "burn"my gateways. A year ago I bought a VWIC-2MFT-T1. None of my routers detects it, LOL.

Thanks for your experience!

I can speak for the 1760 64Mb memory sticks to max out my two 1760s.. I've not had any problems with them. I've had them now for about a year or so... Same thing goes for the 26xx. I have a 2610 & 2621XM in which I purchased the DRAM upgrades from ebay. Again, no issues... HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Who's the vendor?

I got almost all my memory from 3 vendors and never had any issues.
    laserjet4you
    oelnak
    keystronlic

Cables and Kits is also an option for memory if you also need a candy fix.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've used laserjet4you as well, no problems.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have "3rd party" memory upgrades in almost everything (1760s, 26xxXMs, and 2800s) and have had no issues at all. Like Mike, most of my older stuff came from laserjet4you but the last time that I checked, they wern't selling Cisco stuff anymore.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Who's the vendor?
    keystronlic

Bought some 128MB from them and it's working fine.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    I have never had any issues with memory that I have bought on ebay.
  • Options
    FlyingputFlyingput Member Posts: 114 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great!!
    Laserjet4you is not selling Cisco. keystronlic is. I am placing orders.

OK, next question: any vendor recommendation on VWIC/VIC cards or modules? :DD
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I bought a 128 stick from some guy in hong kong memorymaster2008 for $10 delivered. It took 2 weeks but it works fine....

MEM1700-128D 128MB Memory For Cisco 1700 1760 1760-V on eBay.ca (item 150473094821 end time 27-Aug-10 09:54:29 EDT)

EDIT: It was generic memory but the chips were micron
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sucks LaserJet4u isn't selling Cisco memory, that's who I bought all of my upgrades from.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I pulled some SIMMs out of a 486 or early Pentium and put them in a router...probably one of the 2600's. Worked fine.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    I pulled some SIMMs out of a 486 or early Pentium and put them in a router...probably one of the 2600's. Worked fine.

Interesting. I remember trying SIMMs with identical form factors in 2500's and they never worked. I think my 2600 is maxed out or I would try it.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Interesting. I remember trying SIMMs with identical form factors in 2500's and they never worked. I think my 2600 is maxed out or I would try it.
    The popular lab routers all use generic PC memory. You need to get the right type though. Your SIMMs probably didn't work because they were either the wrong configuration or EDO which the 2500s don't like.

Flash memory however is another story. If it uses a special SIMM or card then you have to get the Cisco branded ones. If it uses a CF card then you're generally okay with using a generic card so long as its not too large. There are exceptions to CF support though.