How many jobs do you work?

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
I know there's a few people who work a normal 9-5 then have weekend gigs. Currently, I'm looking for a 3rd shift/weekend shift gig.

Anyone else subject themselves to this? icon_lol.gif

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I work at Wal-mart (nights) and have a part time gig repairing HDTV's. I also do my side thing repairing/upgrading PC's as there's not a PC shop within 40 miles so that gets me some business and has evolved into setting up SOHO networks. I'm probably not what you're aiming for in your post.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know there's a few people who work a normal 9-5 then have weekend gigs. Currently, I'm looking for a 3rd shift/weekend shift gig.

Anyone else subject themselves to this? icon_lol.gif

Yea. I'm here right now. I highly suggest that if you don't absolutely need to, don't do it. It gets old, extremely quick and you start to miss out on the little things ( friday night/saturday morning sleep, study time, free time, etc). Like I said to you on twitter, it sucks. On the bright side, its more money but the time away from my life and the lack of sleep I'm getting is the reason why my last day at my weekend job will be at the 12th.

One thing to consider is also your job will have an issue with it. Many employers are selfish in the sense they want 100% ownership of an employee. This can also get pretty tricky if you have a non compete agreement or anything like that. Just keep that in mind. Also keep in mind you class load. If you can balance that, you are much better than me. I am falling to pieces. I think I would be much better with it if it wasn't 2 12s that I am working on the weekend.
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    As Uncle Ruckus would say, "I work 36 jobs."

I actually work one, but I'm working on starting my own business, so that'll take up my nights and weekends.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    One thing to consider is also your job will have an issue with it. Many employers are selfish in the sense they want 100% ownership of an employee. This can also get pretty tricky if you have a non compete agreement or anything like that. Just keep that in mind. Also keep in mind you class load. If you can balance that, you are much better than me. I am falling to pieces. I think I would be much better with it if it wasn't 2 12s that I am working on the weekend.

I have to get approval from my manager and his boss if I want a side job. If it's a job that's even remotely related to what I currently do, it will be denied. And by remotely related, I'm talking like if I wanted to do a 3-6 month project rolling out Windows 7 or some other desktop support role. But if I wanted to work in retail, that would be ok. It also has to be less than 30k a year. If I get so much as a 1099 and it is found out, it's instant termination, do not pass go and do not collect $200. I believe there might even be a fine involved too.

The reason it would be denied isn't so much it's a non-compete but because I work for the state, I cannot use my position to unfairly advantage myself. It's more of an ethical type of deal. I'm alright with this, as I make a decent buck. But a side gig wouldn't be terrible either. But they keep me busy anyway that I'm better off not even considering it. :) My dad did three jobs before he retired. I see the toll it had on him. But had he not done it....I doubt I'd be writing this right now... :D
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I have to get approval from my manager and his boss if I want a side job. If it's a job that's even remotely related to what I currently do, it will be denied. And by remotely related, I'm talking like if I wanted to do a 3-6 month project rolling out Windows 7 or some other desktop support role. But if I wanted to work in retail, that would be ok. It also has to be less than 30k a year. If I get so much as a 1099 and it is found out, it's instant termination, do not pass go and do not collect $200. I believe there might even be a fine involved too.

The reason it would be denied isn't so much it's a non-compete but because I work for the state, I cannot use my position to unfairly advantage myself. It's more of an ethical type of deal. I'm alright with this, as I make a decent buck. But a side gig wouldn't be terrible either. But they keep me busy anyway that I'm better off not even considering it. :) My dad did three jobs before he retired. I see the toll it had on him. But had he not done it....I doubt I'd be writing this right now... :D

That's so confusing. I never did understand why jobs feel like they own not only an employees 9 to 5 but their everything in between as well. I think that as long as it doesn't hinder your job duties, it shouldn't matter what else you do. That's just my opinion.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's so confusing. I never did understand why jobs feel like they own not only an employees 9 to 5 but their everything in between as well. I think that as long as it doesn't hinder your job duties, it shouldn't matter what else you do. That's just my opinion.

I don't disagree. I think in my case (and probably other places) they don't want you doing your 2nd job at your 1st one. I don't have a problem with that...I try to keep everything outside the office out.

This thread reminds me of the old "In Living Color" sketch about the Jamaican family with 20-30 job. "I'm a mailman, repairman, building welder," (for example...that wasn't a direct quote but he'd just list all the jobs he was doing and if you had 1-2 jobs you were considered "lazy". )

Ahh that brings me back....lmao.
  • SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    When I started doing firewall admin at a telecom, I was making more or less 50% more calculated on an hour basis selling fridges at Sears. Yes, $17/hr doing firewalls, avg of about $30/hr selling fridges part time. (The commission structure has changed since and probably even more since I last took a part time job there).
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I work one job.

My weekend time I try and use as much as possible for studying.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i wanna get a wknd gig cuz i want more moolah in my pockets, but its summer time, and i'm out and about, its too nice outside for me to be stuck @ work on the wknd...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • uhtrinityuhtrinity Member Posts: 138
    My main job which is basically 5 - 6 hour days and 9 months a year (teachers schedule and salary). I also do side jobs, mainly virus cleanups and internet security. Rounded out with rental income.
    Technology Coordinator, Computer Lab Instructor, Network Admin
    BS IT Network Administration AAS Electronics / Laser Electro Optics
  • SynthrosSynthros Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right now I'm working one job, but I'm putting in a hell of a lot of OT.
  • Geek1969Geek1969 Member Posts: 100 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been working weekends at the restaurant that my wife manages to pick up some extra cash, but that will most likely be ending after I get a couple of paychecks from my new job starting next week. :D Would like to go back to being able to study on the weekends again.
    WIP:
    ROUTE
    Having one source of income is IMO kind of dangerous. Consider your financial stability like a table or chair. No one wants a one legged table or chair because it is extremely unstable*. I would like to have at least 3-4 sources of income. I want at least 2 side hustles (1 IT related and 1 NON IT related), a main job and of course my wife is looking for a new job in our new city (not so much for money but for savings and such). When I became unemployed I realized just how unbalanced my families personal finances were and I am actively taking steps to improve them. Unfortunately working more does take its toll on you. I don't really want to leave my part time gig so I am going to talk to my boss about reducing the hours to something like 6 hour shifts if possible. That may be impossible. What's likely to happen is for the next 3 school quarters I will be a one job man.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1 job 37.5 hours a week an I work from home 3 days a week. Not to mention they give us 15 vacation days and unlimited sick days. Even though I only work 37.5 I get paid for 40. It's a nice gig to be honest.

I'm trying to use my time wisely getting certifications and some real world experience to leap frog to a 3rd tier type position or even a hybrid business IT position. Heck I would even be against IT software sales.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Fade - aren't you working on a degree right now?

I worked two jobs before while going to school and it's definitely not fun. If you're doing this just for extra money I'm going to tell you it's not a good idea. Keep up on your studies and good things will come from your degree, it was a wonderful thing when i was able to work on job when I got a new gig when I graduated.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Having one source of income is IMO kind of dangerous. Consider your financial stability like a table or chair. No one wants a one legged table or chair because it is extremely unstable*. I would like to have at least 3-4 sources of income. I want at least 2 side hustles (1 IT related and 1 NON IT related), a main job and of course my wife is looking for a new job in our new city (not so much for money but for savings and such). When I became unemployed I realized just how unbalanced my families personal finances were and I am actively taking steps to improve them. Unfortunately working more does take its toll on you. I don't really want to leave my part time gig so I am going to talk to my boss about reducing the hours to something like 6 hour shifts if possible. That may be impossible. What's likely to happen is for the next 3 school quarters I will be a one job man.

Kevin - I really have disagree with you on this, I think that you like to take on more things than you should :D I've had the same problem so trust me I understand how you feel.

Unless you absolutely need to work the second job to live I think you should focus your extra energy to your full time gig and school. You need to ask yourself is working these 2 jobs and going to school really going to help you that much? How many credits are you taking right now? Could you push up graduation by working one job and taking more classes? I know you're young now so it's not something to think about but you need to weigh the stress your putting on yourself and figure out if it's really going to help you.

Having 4 different incomes I really don't see that as practical at all and it's going to at one point affect your full time job. You can't devote enough time to the job that's bringing in the bulk of your income and probably providing you your benefits. If your performance starts to suffer there it may make things a lot worse because you wanted to take on 3 other gigs and school. Also remember you're young, have some fun before you can't anymore. I'm not much older then you from what I remember but I'm telling you from experience that doing to much will catch up with you and some point and it's not going to be pretty. If you always are worried about keeping 4 different incomes at once you will hinder your growth at your full time gig and will just burn you out.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shednik wrote: »

I worked two jobs before while going to school and it's definitely not fun. If you're doing this just for extra money I'm going to tell you it's not a good idea. Keep up on your studies and good things will come from your degree, it was a wonderful thing when i was able to work on job when I got a new gig when I graduated.
    +1 on this. When I went to a uni in my younger days I did the 2 job thing and everything in my life suffered because of it. It's hard to keep a balance when you don't have enough down time to unwind.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Kevin - I really have disagree with you on this, I think that you like to take on more things than you should :D

And that sums up Kevin's personality right there! icon_cheers.gif
    Kevin - I really have disagree with you on this, I think that you like to take on more things than you should :D I've had the same problem so trust me I understand how you feel.

I can only speak from my experience and I don't really enjoy it, it is just by nature lol. Most people could not make it very long if they lost their jobs. I saw the control and the power that my job had simply because it was my only source of income. When my former boss let me go (with no grounds) it literally drove me to the brink of sanity for a minute there. I don't want to ever feel that way again. Having more legs on my table increases the control of my financial life.

I am young but I don't plan on working till I'm 60. As far as fun, as long as I can get it up my wife provides me with all the fun I need lol!

And that sums up Kevin's personality right there! icon_cheers.gif

lol
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just 1 now, but I'm also working on my bachelors and studying for the MCSE. In the past it has not been uncommon to work 2 (while going to school full time) and for a short time, even 3.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□

Yes I am. But desperate times call for desperate measures....
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One, but it feels like three ;)
  • shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    One, but it feels like three ;)

As I was reading this thread, this is the exact same thought that was running through my head. Go figure.
    :study:
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I work my main job and do side jobs for people at work.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can I count the girlfriend as a second job? She requires more work than my real job.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Right now I'm working five days a week (still part-time hours though) at a PC repair shop in town doing most of their break/fix, OS repair, and virus removal work. Occassionally (like today) I'll get a gig doing a day job where I'll either be installing something at a bank or doing a decom job on one. Starting September 10, I'll be moving to a full-time gig that'll probably pay decent overtime every week as well and still doing the repair shop thing on Saturdays, so yeah, you're not the only one who tosses on many hats, icon_razz.gif.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I can only speak from my experience and I don't really enjoy it, it is just by nature lol. Most people could not make it very long if they lost their jobs. I saw the control and the power that my job had simply because it was my only source of income. When my former boss let me go (with no grounds) it literally drove me to the brink of sanity for a minute there. I don't want to ever feel that way again. Having more legs on my table increases the control of my financial life.

I am young but I don't plan on working till I'm 60. As far as fun, as long as I can get it up my wife provides me with all the fun I need lol!

lol

Can't say I've been in that situation before, but I don't think I'd like working all those hours doing IT. It'd wear me out.

I have my full time gig that I put 40 hours a week into. Its a nice, no stress job that pays my bills.

I also fix stuff on the side (I think many of us do). I get maybe a job or two a week removing viruses or troubleshooting hardware issues.

I'm considering picking up something else, but I'm not sure it'd be IT related as I don't want to get burnt out. I don't know yet, but I've been brainstorming this for a few weeks now. Not that I need the money, but I've realized that my personal finances are not in the best shape.

Mainly, I have too much debt and too many bills. I've freed up some cashflow by reducing some of my services. I've also stopped eating out as much.

I hope to be out of debt here in a few years and start building up a decent savings in case I get canned.

I've been reading a book by Dave Ramsey about personal finance. Good stuff.
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    Can't say I've been in that situation before, but I don't think I'd like working all those hours doing IT. It'd wear me out.

I have my full time gig that I put 40 hours a week into. Its a nice, no stress job that pays my bills.

I also fix stuff on the side (I think many of us do). I get maybe a job or two a week removing viruses or troubleshooting hardware issues.

I'm considering picking up something else, but I'm not sure it'd be IT related as I don't want to get burnt out. I don't know yet, but I've been brainstorming this for a few weeks now. Not that I need the money, but I've realized that my personal finances are not in the best shape.

Mainly, I have too much debt and too many bills. I've freed up some cashflow by reducing some of my services. I've also stopped eating out as much.

I hope to be out of debt here in a few years and start building up a decent savings in case I get canned.

I've been reading a book by Dave Ramsey about personal finance. Good stuff.

After spending $630 on two cell phones (EVOs) today I seriously am thinking about staying at my second job for a little longer, just so I can strengthen my savings.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Can I count the girlfriend as a second job? She requires more work than my real job.

No, that counts as a hobby since you lose money instead of gain it.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    No, that counts as a hobby since you lose money instead of gain it.

LOL, truth!