Possibly duped by eBay seller?

MrGamingGodMrGamingGod Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys!

None of you know me yet. I was hoping that my first post would have been me posting my exam pass success. However, I have had a very different turn of events take place that I would like to share with all of you.

I may have been stupid, but I bought a Security+ exam voucher from an eBay user called testkill. The voucher code was valid and I saved about $70.00 which made me happy. I scheduled my exam a couple weeks ago and was ready to take it today and pass using Darril's book and some other study sources I learned about from these forums.

When I got to the testing center they couldn't find me in the system. Turns out that whoever originally purchased my voucher code had it suspended and my test canceled. This eBay seller said they would refund my money, but I'm not sure if this is going to happen or not. Has anyone dealt with this seller? Is there anything illegal about purchasing and using discount vouchers that I am not aware of? The seller said they are just a reseller and it was the original purchaser of the vouchers that canceled them, but I'm just not sure if I got duped or if this is legit.

Any insights? I've learned my lesson! No more trying to get by cheap! Better to pay full price and be guaranteed to get to take my exam on the day I schedule it.

But on a positive note, I think Darril's book is amazing and this forum has really helepd me in preparing for my exam. Thank you all for the help even though I was a lurker for so long!

Josh

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Contact him about it. Something happened with voucher4you, and the vouchers are somehow fraudulent. Apparently testkill got his vouchers from their site. Someone was saying that they already asked him about it and he returned the money no questions asked.

If for some reason he doesn't, contact ebay or paypal.

Edit: Here is the thread that mainly discusses voucher4you, but testkill is also mentioned.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/57005-voucher4you-com-ripoff.html
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • MrGamingGodMrGamingGod Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well testkill refunded my money. Apparently whoever testkill got the vouchers from was the one who canceled my exam. I decided to go ahead and re-schedule the test for Monday and I hope to report success too all of you! Thanks for the info, Devilsbane. Turns out that the seller was legit. I decided to pay full price for my exam since I don't want to take anymore chances with vouchers. Too bad my employer won't pony up the exam fee. Oh well... :)
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well testkill refunded my money. Apparently whoever testkill got the vouchers from was the one who canceled my exam. I decided to go ahead and re-schedule the test for Monday and I hope to report success too all of you! Thanks for the info, Devilsbane. Turns out that the seller was legit. I decided to pay full price for my exam since I don't want to take anymore chances with vouchers. Too bad my employer won't pony up the exam fee. Oh well... :)

See http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/57005-voucher4you-com-ripoff.html.

Testkill is the seller for voucher4you I believe. I'm glad you got a refund.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wanted to look this up for you, but yes I bought my vouchers for A+ and Network+ here:

Total Seminars: CompTIA Exam Voucher Bundles

Security+ is $221 and totalsem.com and Mike Meyers is very legit. (I used his vouchers and materials to pass the A+ and Network+ close to 5 years ago). I had to use a student voucher for Sec+ through WGU (no complaints there... :) ).

But take it from me for next time (or in this case, for someone else reading this thread that needs vouchers): it's not always about the money; but lost time as well.
  • iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to let you guys know that I bought a voucher from testkill on Thursday as well. He has a lot of positive ratings (like 99.9%) so I figured it'd be a safe bet.

He told me that I'd have to sit the exam within like 28 hours but I didn't set my exam date til later in the day so I couldn't schedule a day sooner than for today (more than 28 hours from I got the voucher code) which I just got back from.

Was worried that I'd wake up today and check and see that my exam was canceled but it wasn't and I was able to take the exam today.

Good luck with the exam too when you take it.
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    testkill bought vouchers from somebody that ripped them off.

I, too, was duped by testkill, but as soon as I said something the seller refunded my money. I think they were honestly ripped off and are simply a good person in a bad situation.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

At least it all worked out for you. Good luck on the test! What sources did you use?
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    WHat I find interesting is that they are advising individuals to "sit the exam within like 28 hours". Doesn't that indicate a knowledge of an issue with the vouchers?
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    WHat I find interesting is that they are advising individuals to "sit the exam within like 28 hours". Doesn't that indicate a knowledge of an issue with the vouchers?

When I bought some vouchers I thought that was off as well. I used that as my excuse to get my money back from PayPal and after reading all of this fallout I'm very glad I did.

When I saw the deals he was offering I thought it was too good to be true but the allure of cheap tests seduced me. I totally think it was worth waiting out Microsoft to take advantage of the test pack + second shot offer.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SephStorm wrote: »

Not unless they're early expiry. I bought some vouchers in the past that expired within 48 hours so they were super discounted. I completed the CCNP (3 test route) for around $200 using early expiry vouchers.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • MrGamingGodMrGamingGod Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    At least it all worked out for you. Good luck on the test! What sources did you use?

I've been using Darril Gibson's book and the CBT Nuggets video series to study. I've also taken the practice test on CompTIA's website as well as the practice test in Darril's book and the practice questions in the Sybex book. I got 97 out of 100 questions right on the test in the back of Darril's book and I got 25 out of 30 correct on the CompTia practice test, so I'm hoping that is an indication that I'm ready. I'm taking the test tonight, so I'll let you all know how I do. :)
    I've been using Darril Gibson's book and the CBT Nuggets video series to study. I've also taken the practice test on CompTIA's website as well as the practice test in Darril's book and the practice questions in the Sybex book. I got 97 out of 100 questions right on the test in the back of Darril's book and I got 25 out of 30 correct on the CompTia practice test, so I'm hoping that is an indication that I'm ready. I'm taking the test tonight, so I'll let you all know how I do. :)

You sound more ready than I was. I got 93/100 in Darril's book and 67% on CompTIA's website.

Good luck
  • iDShaDoWiDShaDoW Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Not unless they're early expiry. I bought some vouchers in the past that expired within 48 hours so they were super discounted. I completed the CCNP (3 test route) for around $200 using early expiry vouchers.

Yup those were my thoughts too. I had seen the auction early-mid August on eBay and the listing said they expired August 30th.

Waited a bit to finish the book and gauge my readiness before buying and the listing was gone.

Sent him a message through eBay and he said he'd be willing to put 1 back up for me if I would schedule and sit right away (most likely so he wouldn't have yet another person accusing him of being a scam artist and ruining his rating).

In the end, saved about $65 on the Security+ exam and just waiting for my letter/cert to come in the mail from CompTIA.

With late expiry stuff, they probably offer it dirt cheap to get rid of it. Some money (even if very little) is better than no money if the voucher is gonna expire in less than a week.