Options

EVO users

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I should have an EVO by the end of this week (for those you that follow me on twitter, you all saw me bitching and you should know why I don't have it already). Has anyone here tried to put ubuntu on their phones? You can check it out here: Android 2.2 Port for Desire, Ubuntu on EVO 4G and DROID - Softpedia

After I have had mine for a while, I plan to try to put backtrack on it. The concept should be the same. Or maybe I could put Ubuntu on it and add some tools (wireshark, nmap, etc) on it. I think I should try this with server edition or at least remove the gui from desktop edition in order to save space. Seems like a very cool thing to blog about. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I love my Evo (I'm posting from it now actually) buy haven't looked at putting a different OS on it.

I rooted mine so I could use it as a hotspot without paying $30 a month, but haven't don't much past that.

What advantage would putting Ubuntu on my phone have? I love the Android OS and wouldn't want to give up such a great experience just to be able to run some tech apps.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    You VNC into Ubuntu so it isn't like you lose Android. I think the tech apps are my main reason and of course for geek points.

Have you updated to 2.2? I thought the hotspot thing was "fixed" in 2.2 so you couldn't do it for free? I used the phone for a little while at the sprint store, it seemed like the keyboard was pretty decent. I did browse to this site and a few others and it seems like sites with small links (such as the home page here) might be hard to navigate. Any thoughts on that ?
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I have one, updated to 2.2.

I got tired of Sense pretty quickly, Im using Launcher Pro Plus for my launcher and Widget Locker for my home screen. Funnily enough, i have them both set to emulate stock Froyo.

I wish they gave you a choice to use the default android stuff. Froyo is much better looking than HTC Sense.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I have one, updated to 2.2.

I got tired of Sense pretty quickly, Im using Launcher Pro Plus for my launcher and Widget Locker for my home screen. Funnily enough, i have them both set to emulate stock Froyo.

I wish they gave you a choice to use the default android stuff. Froyo is much better looking than HTC Sense.

What browser do you use? I haven't even got mine yet but I know that Opera is pretty big in the cell market. Any gotchas? Either one of you run custom roms?
  • Options
    The wife is picking up the phones now. Getting an EVO, going to see inception, eating out tonight and I am leaving early, this is probably the best Wedding Anniversary ever.
  • Options
    One thing that is going to be interesting is moving to a all touch screen device. I have been playing with the droid 2 for a few days now and I like it.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I use Dolphin HD for my browser. It seems to work pretty well. Havnt tried Opera.

I also found the APK for the stock froyo keyboard and installed it. I thought i was just bad at using a touchscreen keyboard...turns out that the default HTC keyboard has really bad detection as to what buttons you are pressing (at least for me). I'm ten times more accurate with the Froyo keyboard.
  • Options
    Awesome Hype. I have the EVO in one hand and the DROID 2 in the other and I must say, these are sexy devices. I think the EVO is a little sleeker though. I will root this thing tonight.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    The wife is picking up the phones now. Getting an EVO, going to see inception, eating out tonight and I am leaving early, this is probably the best Wedding Anniversary ever.

Congrats on the anniversary. Also I am aware of [nerd] Byakuya Kuchiki's bankai [/nerd].
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    knwminus wrote: »
    You VNC into Ubuntu so it isn't like you lose Android. I think the tech apps are my main reason and of course for geek points.

Have you updated to 2.2? I thought the hotspot thing was "fixed" in 2.2 so you couldn't do it for free? I used the phone for a little while at the sprint store, it seemed like the keyboard was pretty decent. I did browse to this site and a few others and it seems like sites with small links (such as the home page here) might be hard to navigate. Any thoughts on that ?

Ah...I'll have to look into the Ubuntu thing then, especially if you have a blog entry on it!

I haven't updated to 2.2 and don't plan to until they have a workaround for the mobile hotspot. I'm sure 2.2 is considerably better than 2.1 but I'd rather be able to use my phone as a hotspot.

I just got my phone the same week 2.2 came out for the Evo so I looked at it as I'm already excited about having the phone and 2.1...I'll save the excitement of 2.2 for a later date rather than rushing it all at once. Sort of spread out the "newness" icon_cheers.gif
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA