Remote Desktop over the Internet

JamesShieldsJamesShields Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Lets say I want to remote to my work computer from my home PC. Does anything need to be configured on my home router for it to work? or does configuration need to be done on the work site?

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The RDP port will need to be opened up on the work firewall and allow traffic from your home IP address to your workstation.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should check out a software product such as LogMeIn.

You could theoretically set it up (using port forwarding) to get direct access, but if your ISP uses a dynamic IP address (which they do unless you pay extra) you might try to RDP in and be denied because you now have a different IP address.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    You should check out a software product such as LogMeIn.

You could theoretically set it up (using port forwarding) to get direct access, but if your ISP uses a dynamic IP address (which they do unless you pay extra) you might try to RDP in and be denied because you now have a different IP address.
    A big +1 for log me in.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Make sure your workplace doesn't have policies that forbid remoting in to your PC.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are remoting from your home to your work PC (like I do every other day), VPN is the best option. I VPN in and then once I'm connected I RDP straight into my box.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As others have said, I’d be leery of exposing RDP to the wide open internet A VPN would be your best bet but if that’s not available at least use a service such as logmein or something similar. Double check your company’s remote access policy if there is one. Intentionally opening RDP in the firewall would probably be against some rule, even if it’s not a specific one. I would get management approval first.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    If you are remoting from your home to your work PC (like I do every other day), VPN is the best option. I VPN in and then once I'm connected I RDP straight into my box.

+1. I would never RDP directly from my home machine to my work machine. I think RDP isn't secure at all.

Security Basics: SV: Securing RDP - Is this possible?
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't have a VPN you can use, you can also run RDP through a SSH connection..

All you need is a port you can SSH over and an SSH Client inside your work network.

SSH port Forwarding (or how to Remote Desktop over SSH)

Personal I prefer this as I already have an SSH port open for management, so rather than open up more ports or add more configuration for VPN's (the other user VPN's do not allow reverse connection to the management of routers and servers). Once you get 3 or 4 people needing to do this to an inside netwrok then I agree VPN is a better solution. but while its just me there is no need.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.