Opinions about a potential job

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Currently I am a helpdesk tier 2 full time employee. However there is a job potential for a midrange level 2 support for a larger company. The midrange support job support Unix, VMS, and SAP servers. Basically the midrange support job is a network operator position. I am just wondering what your opinion is. Obviously you monitor event managment systems and intrustion detection. You also perform restorations and backups. Sets up UNIX print queues and monitor LAN|WAN|VPN|RAS and WEB.

Would this be a step down a lateral or a step forward in your opinion? Currently I deal with SAP support at a low to mid level (No master data updates or transactions) and do your run of the mill support for VPN older midrange systems and application support for the enterprise. Occasionally I do some server hardware calls :/. I do have the ability to work from home right now that wouldn't happen in a data center plus I have seniority right now and I am very well liked.

I am just seeking some opinion I am really trying to move up the food chain and just want to make the right move.

Thanks for any consideration to this post.

P.S. My friend thinks this job would suck and I would hate it.

Comments

• erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It sounds like it's the same type of work that you are currently doing, but with a bit more work and isn't senior level work. If I'm right, then this is a lateral move.

Obvious question, is the position more money? Do you see advancement in this position after some time in? Do you see advancement in your current position? Are you unhappy in your current job.

If it's pretty much more money, and by more money it's less than $10k for doing the same type of work, then it's ultimately on you if you want to take it. If it were me, knowing what I know now, I would wait for something more senior level. BUT, the good thing about taking it is it would add to your depth of experience. However, my gut tells me (for now) that you may want to wait until somthing better comes along.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    erpadmin wrote: »
    It sounds like it's the same type of work that you are currently doing, but with a bit more work and isn't senior level work. If I'm right, then this is a lateral move.

Obvious question, is the position more money? Do you see advancement in this position after some time in? Do you see advancement in your current position? Are you unhappy in your current job.

If it's pretty much more money, and by more money it's less than $10k for doing the same type of work, then it's ultimately on you if you want to take it. If it were me, knowing what I know now, I would wait for something more senior level. BUT, the good thing about taking it is it would add to your depth of experience. However, my gut tells me (for now) that you may want to wait until somthing better comes along.

Thanks for your quick response. I really like where I am at. The only reason why I even brought this up is my strong desire to move verticle. I think I need to work on patience not certifications :)

Thanks again ERP you da man.
  • howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    If you really like where you're at, and your friend, whose opinion you seem to trust, says you'll hate it, you probably will.

I made a similar mistake several years ago, except I took the new position. It was a mistake.
  • SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    I'd stay put without a really healthy raise.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You confirmed my suspicions. Now I will go with my gut and advise that you may be better off staying where you are. I also made the mistake of leaving a job for more money. Had I stayed the course, I probably would have seen 6 figures a long time ago. (My first IT job.) But because I chased the quick buck, I almost went back to square one. Thankfully that wasn't the case...but it easily could have been.

Stay the course....when you see a better opportunity, you'll know it and you won't even have to ask about it. You will just know.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How much $$$? Also do you have a chance of getting promoted at your current gig? Do they do promotions from within at the other company? How large is the IT department at the larger company vs your current job? Oh yea, and how much $$$? My suggestion is the depending on how they answer these questions should help you determine staying or going. If three out of the four are to your liking, jump on it.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Staying put the raise wasn't healthy that's for sure. The potential is there, but no guarntees. I like where I work I just sometimes want to be more proactive and try to elevate my career quickly.

Something I sometimes don't have is patience.