Options

resume advice

gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
I was hoping some of you guys could take a look at my resume and give me some advice. I'm open to any and all advice that will help me get back into the industry!! Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do away with te indenting as it just looks awkward. Left justify.
    Leave off high school.
    Leave off the objective at the beginning as that is something for a cover letter.
    Put in a skills section and make sure to emphasize your customer support skills.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    thanks for the tips....

When I edited some of the personal identification stuff word added some weird indenting so I don't think it looks so awkward in the original.
  • Options
    SubnettingGoddessSubnettingGoddess Member Posts: 108
    1) I'd bogart a prettier resume format. Mine, for example. :p or I also found tons on microsoft.com

2) Do not use the word "I."

3) Personally, I'd move your certs nearer the top and take out of summary

4) *whisper* I hate your bullet points. lol that may just be me though.

5) There needs to be more than one bullet point under each job.

6) Try to use active voice for all bullet points.

7) Give yourself more credit!

Ø Some duties included repair of desktop and laptop computers, virus removal, and troubleshooting of network connectivity in both workgroup and domain environments. Designed and maintained simple websites.
    can become (but expand more):
    • Repaired workstations blah blah blah
    • Troubleshot network connectivity issues
    • Designed and maintained websites
    icon_cool.gif I'd leave off the bottom two jobs.

You have the skills but I think you can do a much better job selling yourself. And definitely in your current job, focus on the more technical aspects. Just my 2 cents fwiw.
    OK, I confess, I do have one certification. I am an ACIA - Arcsight Certified Integrator/Administrator. But it's awarded for attending the class. Woot. And while it's a fine skill to have, my interests lay elsewhere.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. Hope you don't mind taking a look at what I came up with after taking some of the suggestions into consideration.
  • Options
    Anybody want to take a look at the before and after and see if that's an improvement? I would appreciate it!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks much better.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    I know you are keeping your name hidden, but on your "real" resume I'd make sure that pops out more at the top of the page. Also see if you can change the font or get rid of something unnecessary to keep it to one page. Only go to two pages if you have the experience to back it up.

Otherwise it looks a lot better.

Good luck!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd suggest getting it down to one page with how short it is also. You could cut that massive header down a bit and probably get it on one page.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get it down to one page without having to make the font too small or compressing it too much. I think it actually looks better now on one page as far as the layout and I was even able to add a line about customer service on my current job.
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get it down to one page without having to make the font too small or compressing it too much. I think it actually looks better now on one page as far as the layout and I was even able to add a line about customer service on my current job.

Great, but all honesty, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with having a 2-page resume like myself. I have been in the IT world since 1993 and it is impossible for me to squeeze everything on one page. It was 3 pages at time and that is a "no-no". Good luck to you in your future endeavors.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Great, but all honesty, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with having a 2-page resume like myself. I have been in the IT world since 1993 and it is impossible for me to squeeze everything on one page. It was 3 pages at time and that is a "no-no". Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

Nothing wrong with two or more pages if you have the info to fill it. Seventeen years is more than enough time to rack up more than one page of quality experience. If you have one page worth of valuable info spread over two like the OP then its better to get it on one IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Nothing wrong with two or more pages if you have the info to fill it. Seventeen years is more than enough time to rack up more than one page of quality experience. If you have one page worth of valuable info spread over two like the OP then its better to get it on one IMO.

Point taken. I was just glad to be able to fit everything on one page and look good too! icon_lol.gif Funny thing is that when I had it on 3 pages, it looked a little "too much", but again, to each his own...ya know?

what ever works....