GSEC, SSCP and Security+

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I am pretty sure that Sec+ is the lowest of the three but what about the GSEC and SSCP. They both seem like they are similar in career level and the DOD seems to view them in the same light. The Sec+ and the SSCP both take 1 year off the SSCP. The SSCP seems to be more of subset of the CISSPs objectives. The GSEC is SANS advanced fundamental cert which provides prerequisite knowledge to their more advanced certs. Since I have no where near enough experience for the CISSP it seems like doing the SSCP would be less helpful. The GSEC would be good since I want to do at least 2 other SANS certs in the future. I am trying to compare the objectives but it would seem the GSEC quite comparable to the SSCP. The reason why I am wondering is I am trying to set my budget for next year and doing SSCP instead of GSEC would save me a lot of money (about 400). I just want to see what some of you think. GSEC or SSCP?

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd personally do GSEC; the SANS name carries a lot of weight. I know people who have gotten hired because of that certification alone. The SSCP is still relatively unknown (not that it's a bad cert or the content isn't good).
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'd personally do GSEC; the SANS name carries a lot of weight. I know people who have gotten hired because of that certification alone. The SSCP is still relatively unknown (not that it's a bad cert or the content isn't good).

I think you are reading my mind. That's my thoughts exactly.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree too. One thing that scares me about SANS is the renewal fees.

GIAC Certification Renewal

But if you're doing SANS you're already making that kind of money anyway icon_lol.gif
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree too. One thing that scares me about SANS is the renewal fees.

GIAC Certification Renewal

But if you're doing SANS you're already making that kind of money anyway icon_lol.gif
    Or you will be based on your having SANS certs.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

My think is there is no way I could afford the training class and my job isn't paying for this. I do ok but I don't do that well icon_sad.gif I think the GSEC would be better for my resume but the SSCP is much more affordable. But I guess you have to spend money to make money

earweed wrote: »
    Or you will be based on your having SANS certs.

You know he has CISSP as well right?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think also take into consideration what certs will move you around the 8570 model the fastest/what your job title will actually be (CND vs IAT etc) if government/DoD is on the horizon for you.

As much as I would want to get enrolled in the GCIA/GCIH to fulfill CND requirements, the C|EH moves you between 3-4 levels. I think later on I might take some SANS seminars as CPEs (expensive a** CPEs at that) but who knows.
    Keep in mind that a GSE will renew all your SANS certs, and you'll only have to do a GSE written every four years to maintain them. That's my primary motivation for pursuing the GSE. I'm curious to see how the current batch of candidates do this year; the exam is only ten days away. I'll be taking a stab at it next year.
    Keep in mind that a GSE will renew all your SANS certs, and you'll only have to do a GSE written every four years to maintain them. That's my primary motivation for pursuing the GSE. I'm curious to see how the current batch of candidates do this year; the exam is only ten days away. I'll be taking a stab at it next year.

That GSE looks like CCIE level in terms of difficulty. While you probably aren't that far away, I cannot even begin to think of that.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    knwminus wrote: »

You know he has CISSP as well right?
    I was referring more to someone who is in more of your starting point in the Security standpoint.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    I was referring more to someone who is in more of your starting point in the Security standpoint.

Oh I see icon_redface.gif

Honestly I want to do it but Im being cheap. Guess I will have to sell my body again (times are hard err difficult).
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

That would be my only reason. Does it have much name recognition yet?
    That would be my only reason. Does it have much name recognition yet?

Probably not; there's only been 22 people who have obtained it since 2003. It's supposedly gaining momentum though. On the other hand, the exclusivity factor is appealing.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Probably not; there's only been 22 people who have obtained it since 2003. It's supposedly gaining momentum though. On the other hand, the exclusivity factor is appealing.

Exclusivity, or snob appeal icon_lol.gif **jab, jab**

I did a Monster.com search and found about six listings. Strangely two of them said GCIA or GSE. Huh??? icon_lol.gif