Can someone explain the PK0-002 vs the 003?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just curious if one was still the standard?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    003 is the 2009 edition. I believe the 002 test is still available though.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    003 is the 2009 edition. I believe the 002 test is still available though.

Earweed

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully the book I just ordered is geared towards the 2009 version icon_mrgreen.gif
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Earweed

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully the book I just ordered is geared towards the 2009 version icon_mrgreen.gif

Even if it isn't, you could probably return it. Or read it and find most of the same material.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    humble2007 wrote: »
    Even if it isn't, you could probably return it. Or read it and find most of the same material.

Both test are available. Is there really any benefit taking the newer one over the older one?
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Both test are available. Is there really any benefit taking the newer one over the older one?

It is going to give you more current information. Unless you have already begun preparing for the old one, just start with the new one.

The way CompTIA works is any year is valid. However if you take the old one now, and then decide in 3 years when a brand new one comes out that you want to make sure your skills are still current you will have to take the entire test again. Whereas if you take this new one, then you only need a bridged exam (which only covers new content) and will save you money.

I don't know that you ever would want to retake it though. I have no intention of ever taking my A+ again, I'm trying to fry bigger fish now. But maybe someday I will do it just to make sure I still have it. (Too bad when that day comes too many versions will have went by.)
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've heard the passing score on the new one is higher. I've also heard that the new one is supposedly easier. I took the old one and barely passed it (by around 5 points) and had studied a lot.
    Whichever one you take will be a challenge and you'll need to study to meet that challenge.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I've heard the passing score on the new one is higher. I've also heard that the new one is supposedly easier. I took the old one and barely passed it (by around 5 points) and had studied a lot.
    Whichever one you take will be a challenge and you'll need to study to meet that challenge.

I am glad they raised the passing score. It makes it seem like much less of a push over. Even if they made it easier, it at least does not scream easy.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • wayliffwayliff Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just curious if one was still the standard?

Thanks in advance.

Yay - that is some spooky avatar you use...nothing bad intended...it just reminded me of that character.
    wayliff wrote: »
    Yay - that is some spooky avatar you use...nothing bad intended...it just reminded me of that character.

It puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again!