Got my first Cert...=)

CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
So before the weekend started, I tested for Sec+ on Friday and nailed it with a 806. Did a lot better then the first time which I bombed so bad on...barely getting a 500... This time around I was more then well prepared and had a great instructor to teach the material. Idk if this time around it was a harder test, but I still got a headache by the end of it, with only 15 mins to spare...

I'm planning on going for Net+ next, but i got a few questions, like how dose it compare to Sec+, is it just a much a pain?? Will I need to get some Tylenol at the end of test?? Lol

I'm know more about network theory then I do bout Security policy, but does Security still play a big role in Net+??

Thank you for your help and time. \m/

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First off welcome to TE and congrats on getting your first cert!
    IMHO the Net+ is an easier test. It's a more basic test even though you have more stuff to memorize. The Sec+ had questions you actually had to think on where the Net+ is more basic. The Sec+ is actually pretty easy if you had done the Net+ first.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations icon_cheers.gif

I'll agree that it would be easier to secure the network after you've learned how the networks work -- so the Network+ should be easier then the Security+ was.

Welcome to the TechExams.net Forums icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Ron BrandtRon Brandt Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sec+ would have been easier if you would have done Net+ first...

Congrats on the pass !!

Ron
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    Welcome and congratulations my friend...
  • xg3xg3 Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just complete A+ and N+ in a month and a half.. and started studying the S+

I can't help to notice but the Security+ is VERY similar to Network+ except it has cryptology..

Anyone else notice that too?
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xg3 wrote: »
    I just complete A+ and N+ in a month and a half.. and started studying the S+

I can't help to notice but the Security+ is VERY similar to Network+ except it has cryptology..

Anyone else notice that too?

There is also some A+ stuff in there (or stuff that should be discussed in A+). The cryptology was stuff I did in my day jobs (Managed PKI, creating and installing server side certs), but I wasn't terribly concerned with it being called asymmetric encryption. BUT I was able to relate to the encryption I use. I would like to see Extended Validation [EV] certs in the next iteration of Security+ (when you see a green URL or a red/pink URL).
    Once I was able to get the right flow, everything about that test fell into place.

On a side note, I really do like my wallet card. I may order new once for my A+ and Network+ if the cert dates are the same. The plastic cards compared to the old paper ones is quite solid.
  • xg3xg3 Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    There is also some A+ stuff in there (or stuff that should be discussed in A+).

Thats what i am noticing too, seems like it is alot more work to go from Security+ to Network+. N+ had alot of things to remember.

If you went from A+ to N+ to S+ they built on top of each other... I find it very easy this way... after 3 days on S+ textbook, i think i am ready..
    Thats what i am noticing too, seems like it is alot more work to go from Security+ to Network+. N+ had alot of things to remember.

If you went from A+ to N+ to S+ they built on top of each other... I find it very easy this way... after 3 days on S+ textbook, i think i am ready..

In my case, I had a 5 year gap between A+/Net+ and Sec+...though most of that stuff is used everyday so it wasn't like I had a hard time with it. I would have had to have taken the 101 instead of the 201 if I took Sec+ after A+/Net+ and I'm actually glad I waited....lol.

But if I had to recommend to someone what order they should take the CompTIA, it would without question be A+/Net+/Sec+. Oh yes, you can definitely take them in any order, but the progressive order will make life very easy.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass and welcome to the forum
  • krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□

A+, N+, S+ is the right way to get the certifications, very good point. icon_thumright.gif
  • chuckleschuckles Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I've got the A+ and N+ and am working on the S+. Based on the overlap I see, the A to N to S makes the most sense as to the order to get them.
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    Sorry to bring this back to the first page, but i had to reply back... Basically you guys are right, it most likey would of been better if I went A > N >S, but FYI i'm in the military, and the only cert that is required for my job is Security+... Other jobs may require the other Certs, but there isn't a job to my knowledge that need all or even two of the certs... so need Net+ while others just need A+, and the squadron will only only fund for the Certs that you are required to have. Hence why Sec+ is my first cert out of the three...

I'm going for Net+ as my next choice, since I know a lot of the basics of Networking, I should be in familiar territory the while way till testing. I'm hoping to conquer the tripod before the end of the year, the only thing that is holding me back is the fact I have to pay out of pocket for the exams. Thanks for all your guys input.
    CCNTrainee wrote: »
    Sorry to bring this back to the first page, but i had to reply back... Basically you guys are right, it most likey would of been better if I went A > N >S, but FYI i'm in the military, and the only cert that is required for my job is Security+... Other jobs may require the other Certs, but there isn't a job to my knowledge that need all or even two of the certs... so need Net+ while others just need A+, and the squadron will only only fund for the Certs that you are required to have. Hence why Sec+ is my first cert out of the three...

I'm going for Net+ as my next choice, since I know a lot of the basics of Networking, I should be in familiar territory the while way till testing. I'm hoping to conquer the tripod before the end of the year, the only thing that is holding me back is the fact I have to pay out of pocket for the exams. Thanks for all your guys input.

While there is overlap between Security+ and Network+, there is also overlap between A+ and Network+. But getting Network+ is still doable.

If you can, just get Mike Meyers All-In-One Network+ guide (whatever the latest edition is) and study that. He did an excellent job when I went for it 5 years ago and folks are still raving about him.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to say that I found the Network Plus to be a harder test exam than the security plus. That was my expirence I passed it first time and all that but Security seemed to be an easyer exam for me.
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□

It seems I'm doing it backwards.... Congrats on the pass BTW...
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!