Scheduled IINS

wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
*sigh* Finally scheduled the damn thing *sigh*

I decided to go for the IINS somewhere mid April, ordered some books and the CBT Nuggets right away and got a lot of studying done in the first month.. After that some projects where launched at work which have kept me pretty occupied and pretty much made me loose my study habits.. icon_sad.gif

Last week I realized I just needed to schedule a date for the exam to get me studying again, so I just did.. It's me vs the IINS on September 21st, so I've got a good month left to prepare. Feels good to finally have the exam scheduled!
WIP: Considering cert path.. :-)

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's a good strategy... pay for the exam... that sort of forces you to have to study so you don't waste your money. Good luck in your studies! Post if you have any questions.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • wheezwheez Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's a good strategy... pay for the exam... that sort of forces you to have to study so you don't waste your money. Good luck in your studies! Post if you have any questions.

-Peanut

Yeah well, the payment on its own almost made me cancel the whole exam!

Not sure what the exam costs in the US nowadays, but I'll have to shell out approx. USD280 in the Netherlands.. icon_neutral.gif So yes, after paying I'm definitely determined to get back on track on this one.
  • lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Yeah the CCNA concentrations are around AUD 295 in Australia... does indeed empty the wallet a little icon_sad.gif Although you forget about the money once you get that nice certificate and card in the mail! Plus if you work in the industry its a nice tax deduction.

Out of all the exams I have done, I thought this one was easiest one. If you know the material, you will kill it :) And bring your spectacles, some of those diagrams were bloody hard to read
    Here in the US, the exam is $250.00. It's a bit pricey and unfortunately, no tax deduction (that I'm aware of). I do agree with lrb, once you get the certificate, the price doesn't seem to bad... but if you fail the exam (which I've done) it can take a toll on the pockets! Either way, you've given yourself enough time to crank out the studies. Good luck and post if you need some assistance.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Make sure you spend adequate time on the SDM.
  • logicmyfootlogicmyfoot Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lrb wrote: »
    Yeah the CCNA concentrations are around AUD 295 in Australia... does indeed empty the wallet a little icon_sad.gif Although you forget about the money once you get that nice certificate and card in the mail! Plus if you work in the industry its a nice tax deduction.

Out of all the exams I have done, I thought this one was easiest one. If you know the material, you will kill it :) And bring your spectacles, some of those diagrams were bloody hard to read
    be ready for the bolded part. The SDM pics are horrible icon_eek.gif
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Same for the CCNA in the UK, I think it was a bit more expensive than just ICND1+2, but then it's two exams in one, effectively.

Last week I shelled out £202 ($311) to take the CCIE Written. :)
  • JSimOJSimO Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the SDM pics being horrible. The exam was fairly easy for me. Long as you focus on what the question is actually asking and know the concepts, you should have no issue passing. I studied literally a day before the exam and passed with a 965 I believe. So if you put in the efforts in studying weeks before that, you should have no issues. I believe the test cost $250.

GL and keep on studying
    Thanks for the heads-ups all.. I read about the pictures being terrible earlier, but thanks for bringing that up again so I don't forget about it! icon_smile.gif

I'm mostly a MS guy, with little hands-on Cisco experience but studies are going pretty good so far. I'm currently finishing the Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security book which will definitely require me reviewing some chapters later on. So far I've done some basic labs using GNS3.

Anyone know if it is possible to simulate site-to-site VPNs using GNS3? Or would that require the real thing?
  • JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    rhermans wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is possible to simulate site-to-site VPNs using GNS3? Or would that require the real thing?

Yep, it will work. Here is a lab example that I used. Topology: Simple L2L IPSEC VPN - 3640 Routers | GNS3 Labs :: Cisco Router Simulator Network Labs & Topologies
    JSK wrote: »

Thanks, I'll have a look!
    Getting close to the exam now..

I actually feel pretty confident at this time! I've spend a lot of time reviewing / labbing command line configurations for ZBF, autosecure and VPNs. I have planned to extensively look into SDM today and tomorrow and hope that'll be sufficient.

Hope to have some good news to share next Tuesday! :)
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck man!
    Bring us back a win.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Good luck! Looking forward to your post exam feedback.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Good luck man!
    Bring us back a win.

+1. Go for the gold! :)
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    Thanks for the support! Passed the exam earlier today with a score in the lower 900s.. :)

Although I've started studying in April I think the last couple of weeks have really made the difference. Not sure how everyone else feels about this, but as I made sure to really know the command line config before getting into SDM that really turned SDM into a breeze.

Now what to study next.. :D
    Thanks for the support! Passed the exam earlier today with a score in the lower 900s.. :)

Although I've started studying in April I think the last couple of weeks have really made the difference. Not sure how everyone else feels about this, but as I made sure to really know the command line config before getting into SDM that really turned SDM into a breeze.

Now what to study next.. :D

CONGRATS!!! icon_thumright.gif

I guess the CCNA: Security is no longer a work in progress!!! CONGRATS again and best of luck in your future studies!

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks!
    I guess the CCNA: Security is no longer a work in progress!!!
    Yeah, I'll remove that one! :D
  • JSKJSK Member Posts: 166