Question about security (before I attempt to submit a resume)

MasterBullfrogMasterBullfrog Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well my school adviser sent this in an email. It's an ad for an open internship spot.
Intern: the Intern will support the ISO in establishing an enterprise level program for evolving education, awareness, and training of the information security program and policy framework. The incumbent in this role has comprehensive knowledge of information security and the regulatory environment and provides all necessary content for educational materials, strategized on the most appropriate venues for appropriately communication the messages related to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of information, and manages the implementation of education, awareness and training activities, Supports and assists with coordination and implementation of the Information Security Program.
My only problem here is that I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "comprehensive"...

I just started my upper division courses at my university for my CIS degree. Need something like this for a leg up on experience.

Anything you guys think I should brush up on?

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well my school adviser sent this in an email. It's an ad for an open internship spot.

My only problem here is that I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "comprehensive"...

I just started my upper division courses at my university for my CIS degree. Need something like this for a leg up on experience.

Anything you guys think I should brush up on?

Why don't you ask them? How are your grades and how is your relationship with your professor? Do you think you could get one of them to write a recommendation letter for you? That would probably help. You should also try to pick up a few certs (if you don't have any). Security+ might be perfect for you. I think that learning the security plus material will help you with this position as well as overall as an IT pro.
  • MasterBullfrogMasterBullfrog Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why don't you ask them? How are your grades and how is your relationship with your professor? Do you think you could get one of them to write a recommendation letter for you? That would probably help. You should also try to pick up a few certs (if you don't have any). Security+ might be perfect for you. I think that learning the security plus material will help you with this position as well as overall as an IT pro.

You're right, I think I'll ask my adviser.

I ended up transferring here from a community college and so far my major/upper division courses aren't bad.

I started off as a Kinesiology major but a CIS adviser/counselor helped me through the switch. I have no doubt that she'd write a good letter of recommendation for me.

Is there anywhere in specific that I could go to begin to study up on the Security+ cert? Also, I'm assuming you mean I should do this before I send in my resume?

Thanks for the reply
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    An understanding of information security concepts is obviously necessary. In addition to that, I'd highlight your communication skills and ability to convey complex technical concepts in layman's terms. Try and brush up on some risk management basics as well. The description mentions a regulatory environment, so take some time and familiarize yourself with any applicable regs.

Reviewing some policies wouldn't hurt you either: SANS: Information Security Policy Templates
  • MasterBullfrogMasterBullfrog Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    An understanding of information security concepts is obviously necessary. In addition to that, I'd highlight your communication skills and ability to convey complex technical concepts in layman's terms. Try and brush up on some risk management basics as well. The description mentions a regulatory environment, so take some time and familiarize yourself with any applicable regs.

Reviewing some policies wouldn't hurt you either: SANS: Information Security Policy Templates

Thanks much

I'll spend the rest of the weekend reading up on this