CCNP 2011 Pursuit

genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
Howdy!

So I'm going to pickup where I left off in January, 2009 (CCNA) and pursue the CCNP this coming January. To prepare for that I've already purchased the new CiscoPress books on the three exams but I've been having trouble finding the right equipment. I wanted to purchase the hardware over the course of the next few months to spread out the cost but I've been unable to find definitive answers on what hardware I need.

To be honest, I don't know much about the hardware side of Cisco as I rarely get to use my Cisco skills at work given we have Adtran routers and they're lend-leased from a vendor so I have no access to them. So when I start looking at model numbers I'm unsure what the differences are. Yes, I could of course research every model to gain a better understanding of the differences but that's pretty time consuming. Why is it so hard to find a list of (X) routers & model #'s with a list of (X) Switches & model #'s?

Ok, enough rant.

My question is, has anyone used this Boson product and is it really all I need to prep for the CCNP?

CCNP Network Simulator & Router Simulator

p.s. If anyone has a good resource that I can read about the hardware, please pass it on. I have (1) 2600 router and (1)3500XL switch. Thanks!

is this a good link?
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/27576
1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012

Comments

• genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Ok CCNP Lab:

(2) 1721 Routers
    (2) 3640 Routers
    (1) 2621 Router (*Already Have)
    (1) 3550 Switch
    (2) 2950 Switches
    (1) 3548-XL Switch (*Already have)

Thoughts on this? Overkill or just enough?
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you really really wanna push it you could probably get a few more 3550's or maybe even a 3560 ;)

Nice setup,

Must be noisy,

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    I'm going simple for the CCNP lab; GNS3 and 3 x 3550 switches. Your lab should be fine to get through the CCNP. Worst case you can always pick up some time through a hosted lab such as from INE, its much cheaper in the long run!

Just my 0.02
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    If you really really wanna push it you could probably get a few more 3550's or maybe even a 3560 ;)

Nice setup,

Must be noisy,

Regards,
    David

Oh boy, I haven't bought the additional equipment, just trying to get a sense of what I should buy. :)
    down77 wrote: »
    I'm going simple for the CCNP lab; GNS3 and 3 x 3550 switches. Your lab should be fine to get through the CCNP. Worst case you can always pick up some time through a hosted lab such as from INE, its much cheaper in the long run!

Just my 0.02

Well, I thought about going the sim route but honestly, I did my entire CCNA studies with a simulator, even though I had the one router and one switch that I still have. I really want to work with the physical equipment for the CCNP. Since earning my CCNA I've configured 3 switches and of those three, they were just the login credentials, hostname and the IPConfig. Hardly enough to keep my skillset up to speed.

There's definitely more to learning Cisco than just the commands and how things work. :)
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How much do these labs cost to put together? I am assuming that you are buying some used gear from eBay or somewhere else.

I know that ipexpert.com has labs that you can rent time on, as well. I have been wondering if I could work out some lab time with my alma mater, as they have the Cisco Networking Academy for the CCNA, and they give us free courses once you have a BS.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • down77 wrote: »

Just my 0.02

You could save yourself a little bit by getting 2 x 3550 and 2 x 2950
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    You could save yourself a little bit by getting 2 x 3550 and 2 x 2950

Normally you would be correct... I got lucky enough to have a friend donate the extra 3550 since he was moving (along with a bunch of 2501s, 3620s, and a few 3640s). The 2950 is a GREAT choice as long as you get the proper unit. I would recommend one of the EI capable models for the SWITCH exam.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    i'm definitely looking to pick up one more 3550 for SWITCH to make it 2 x 2950 and 2 x 3550.
    WIP: IPS exam